Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Siren setting off when animal is detected. Turned off animal smart notification. How to stop?

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
colin1892
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello i have arlo ultra 2 cameras, the front one on the house gets most of the hits, i have it set to people only for alerts, i have a schedule set so from 12am to 7am it arms the siren, now i have told it to not alert me for animals and i know it still records the motion but the animal sets my alarm off, we get alot of cats the recording labels it as an animal, anyway to stop this so animals dont set off my siren thanks?

8 REPLIES 8
colin1892
Apprentice
Apprentice
i might add also if my neighbour drives his car onto our driveway it does not set the alarm off when i have vechicles turned off it only seems to do it for cats, ive tried turning the animals notifications off and on and still the same, any ideas?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@colin1892 wrote:
i might add also if my neighbour drives his car onto our driveway it does not set the alarm off when i have vechicles turned off it only seems to do it for cats, ive tried turning the animals notifications off and on and still the same, any ideas?
  1. Are you getting a recording when the neighbour drives his car onto the driveway?
  2. Are the recordings of the cat labeled "animal" or are they labeled "all other motion"?

The siren activation isn't supposed to be filtered by the smart notifications, so I am thinking the answer to the first question is no.

What you might try is reducing the motion sensitivity, and see if you can find a setting that doesn't trigger on the cat, but still triggers on things you are interested in.  You can use the motion detection test to find the least sensitive setting that triggers on your motion, and start with that.  Note that after you find that setting you need to modify the rule to use it - it's not automatically applied.   https://kb.arlo.com/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-device

colin1892
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello Stephen, to answer your points if the neighbour drives onto the  driveway it does not alert as i have vehicles turned off although i get a recording,  the animal was labelled as an animal on the motion

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@colin1892 wrote:

if the neighbour drives onto the  driveway it does not alert as i have vehicles turned off although i get a recording, 

If you are getting a recording, then the siren should also be going off.

Smart Notifications don't affect the siren.

colin1892
Apprentice
Apprentice

just seems silly that you have a siren and every time a cat goes by (which by me can be 3 times a night) a siren goes off, probably not gonna be two appreciated by my neighbours either, which makes me then have to turn the siren off and then whats the point spending all that money on them, does that make sense?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@colin1892 wrote:

just seems silly that you have a siren and every time a cat goes by (which by me can be 3 times a night) a siren goes off, probably not gonna be two appreciated by my neighbours either, which makes me then have to turn the siren off and then whats the point spending all that money on them, does that make sense?

FWIW, I agree there should be an option to filter the siren as well as the notifications.  There are some downsides to doing that, so it should be an option. 

As I said, the only way to avoid this with Arlo is to reduce the motion sensitivity so that the cat doesn't set the system off.

Personally I don't use the siren feature (and generally am more interested in the recordings than the notifications).  

colin1892
Apprentice
Apprentice

if i do asjust the motion sensitivity to a lower value it will stick pick up people ok will it? Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@colin1892 wrote:

if i do asjust the motion sensitivity to a lower value it will stick pick up people ok will it? Thanks

That's what you have to test.  As I suggested above, you can set the motion sensitivity to the lowest setting that will pick you up reliably. 

Then wait and see if it picks up the cat. If it doesn't, you can nudge it higher still, until it does pick up the cat.  Then back it off a bit.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation