Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No backup fir Base stations

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
Ive posted this several times. There is no backup/restore functions for ARLO base station. Our primary base has 13 cameras paired. So I dread a time if that base dies. So I was thinking of creating my own backup. Essentially installing a new base. Same router but calling it a different name. Then installing each camera one by one. The dilemma. During the install of each camera is that done via the cameras serial number? Could I have two base stations with the same cameras paired ( with different camera names? Do I sound despadafet
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dannybear
Master
Master
Regards your appreciation, your welcome, although StevenB’s has been about much longer and his responses are more refined. I just provide a different time zone and customer aspect.

Regards to multiple base stations, the consensus is that there is no account or physical limit to the number as they have different ip allocations although if separated enough they will choose different wifi channels which would be hard to manage interference wise. The two base stations I have are set to a fixed wifi channel using the router wifi being fixed. You can do the same when first setting them up before relocating as they seem to stay on channel post a power outage.

The disadvantage to having a lot of base stations is that to use custom modes you are not able to globally change them so you need to access them individually to change configuration. Probably not an issue for just doing individual camera maintenance on a static environment like your setup though.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dannybear
Master
Master
I would imagine that the camera serial numbers are what is used to identify the cameras when adding, usually the camera name is initially loaded with the camera serial.

The only way I have seen to move cameras from one base to another is by removing the camera then importing it to the other base station. This means adjusting everything again to customise.

I also would welcome a script you would use to reload custom setups, maybe via the web browser but it would be to hard for arlo I imagine.

What would be an alternative is for arlo to provide a layout for the existing settings so it could be used as a check list to manually re-enter the setting details. Shouldn’t be too hard for arlo to manage.

If you’re worried about the base total failure you could have two bases with half the cameras on each base so if one base dies then you only loose half the cameras and you can then transfer the missing cameras onto the working base until the faulty base has been replaced.

If you’re worried about firmware updates bricking the base then a spare base still runs the immediate same risk when connected so little advantage.

Maybe you need three Base stations, two online and a spare.

I purchased a spare Base for redundancy and operation is online, using it as a siren extension.

If the main and redundant bases are bricked with a faulty firmware update then the whole lock stock and barrel goes into the drink.
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary
Danny. I appreciate your response. Ive thought about the things you mention. The only one I was not sure of is IF I can have multiple base stations on the same router. I’ve upgraded routers and the base station doesn’t care
Is there a way to present a case for backup/restore function to ARLO development ? You guys in the community forum ( you and Steven( have help me through si many situations. As a support team for ARLO you guys far exceed what other support groups offer. I can say without your help in so many areas I would. be floundering

Many thanks for your ongoing support
Dannybear
Master
Master
Regards your appreciation, your welcome, although StevenB’s has been about much longer and his responses are more refined. I just provide a different time zone and customer aspect.

Regards to multiple base stations, the consensus is that there is no account or physical limit to the number as they have different ip allocations although if separated enough they will choose different wifi channels which would be hard to manage interference wise. The two base stations I have are set to a fixed wifi channel using the router wifi being fixed. You can do the same when first setting them up before relocating as they seem to stay on channel post a power outage.

The disadvantage to having a lot of base stations is that to use custom modes you are not able to globally change them so you need to access them individually to change configuration. Probably not an issue for just doing individual camera maintenance on a static environment like your setup though.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation