Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
WJA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I used the app to delete some videos from the Cloud, and used my PC to delete the same videos from my microSD card. But the app still shows the "download icons" on the Library/SmartHub screen. If I tap one of these icons, a "download failed" message appears. How can I remove these icons?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try force closing the app and clear the app's cache in the phone settings for the app.

WJA
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for responding to  my post.

I have an iPhone 13 that has the Arlo app. As you suggested, I closed the app, and then opened the iPhone setting for the Arlo app -- but I did not see an option to clear the app's cache (Is there another way to clear the app's cache on my iPhone?).

So I continued on ....

I removed the microSD from the SmartHub, put it into the card reader on my PC, deleted all videos there (which were recorded on various days), and re-inserted the microSD into the SmartHub.

Then I opened the app and navigated to Library -> SmartHub. The video download icons still appear for all the videos that I deleted.

I noticed that the microSD has a top-level folder named "Arlo" and 2 subfolders: one named "00000O" that contains the videos, and the other named "metadata" that contains a lot of data for use only by the app.

Could it be that this metadata contains the video recording history, and is the source of the info that the app uses to display the video download icons?

However, it seems to me (as a retired software developer) that the app should do a "refresh" of the video download icons list before displaying it -- so that no icons are displayed for deleted videos.    

WJA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I forgot to mention in my preceding post that at the time I deleted all videos from the microSD, I also deleted all videos from the Cloud. However, the app still displays a list of video download icons.

Also, now I am unsure what actually happens when I tap on a video download icon. Does it copy the corresponding video from the Cloud to the SmartHub? or to the app's storage in the iPhone? 

I think what makes this confusing to me is that the list of download icons appears on the iPhone screen when I tap on Library -> SmartHub.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WJA wrote:

I did not see an option to clear the app's cache (Is there another way to clear the app's cache on my iPhone?).

Annoying, but the only way to clear the cache on iOS is to remove and reinstall the app.

@WJA wrote:

Could it be that this metadata contains the video recording history, and is the source of the info that the app uses to display the video download icons?

Likely that is the case.  You could try reformatting the microSD card (which of course would delete all recordings).

WJA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I took the suggestion and re-formatted the microSD. This cleared all recorded videos from it, and also cleared all recorded video icons that were appearing when I tapped on Library -> Smarthub.  

This is not a satisfactory solution to the original problem, which was that  recorded video icons for previously deleted videos were appearing; furthermore, this solution will clear existing videos that you might have wanted to keep.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation