Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Loooong Delays and Audio very choppy

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK, never thought I would actually buy another Arlo Product ever, but I got a good deal on a set of Ultra 2's with base station so I installed them into my system using the new VMB5000 base station.  There is a strong signal but the live view has a long delay 10-15 seconds from real time and the audio is extremely choppy.  All firmware is up to date in cameras and base station.  I've see some other posts about this but don't see a solution.    Both cameras have the same problem.  These were certified refurbished arlo cameras but I see others have this issue with Brand New so I don't think that is the problem.

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's still the possibility of wireless interference causing this issue. Have you moved a camera closer to the hub to see if things improve?

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks, I have not moved anything at this point, I've simply replaced the existing Arlo 2 pros with Ultra 2's, same spot.  Did not have issue before.  Also replaced the base station with the one that came with the Ultra 2's, same spot.  Ironically I have two other Arlo Pro 2's connected to this base station without any audio stutter.  The app says strong video bandwidth, so I would think since audio requires far less bandwidth then video, I should not be having this issue.  Here's a screenshot showing video bandwidth from the the app.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd still bring a camera closer as a test. The higher bandwidth needs for 4k can result in reduced distance required between the hub and camera.

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice
Tried that yesterday and brought to within about 6 feet and line of sight could only still get 2 bars and audio choppy. Odd thing is choppy audio is not consistent sometimes it is and sometimes it isn’t even when the base station is back in its original spot. I do agree with you about the bandwidth but if base stations can’t handle it then there is a serious flaw in the system. My base station is plugged into my network and have high speed everything including gigabit internet speed and fast orbi router
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Bandwidth" also refers to the camera/hub connection. A potentially interesting observation is the camera still reporting 2 bars and choppy within 6 feet. That can be caused by some wireless device near the hub (you eliminated the camera location by bringing it close to the hub) or even by having the hub too close to the router. I recently had to move my hub further away from my router to clear up some issues even though it had been right next to the router for years.

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for the info the router is nowhere near my base station but I did find the 2 bars odd funny think is the Arlo pro 2 cameras are further away and show 3 bars
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The newer cameras with higher resolution seem to all have this strength display. It seems to be due to the extra bandwidth needed for the 2k/4k resolutions. I don't know if switching the cameras to 1080p would make a difference since it may be a hardware issue.

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks for that info. Wow, cameras this expensive and they can’t figure out how to communicate with base station and not have choppy signal. Simply incredible.
demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

unfortunately this is standard across the ultra and ultra 2, there are countless threads across the internet about your exact same problem. Ive had mine since February, with quite a few firmware and application updates with zero improvement. If at all possible return them if you can, they're garbage. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation