Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is there a way from the ARLO Secure (Mobile or Web) to determine camera type

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
rdilauro
Luminary
Luminary

We have a mixture of ARLO Ultra and Ultra 2 cameras.

From looking at Settings and Device Info, is there a way to determine which camera is which?

I am checking the various battery consumption of our cameras and wanted to verify the camera type.  For example, I know I have two Ultra 2 cameras ( purchased directly from ARLO) that their battery indicator has been  100% for over4 months.  These cameras have solar chargers and there is abundant sun.

I know I have some Ultra (only because they were put in over 2 years ago before me, but never actually installed).  2 out of 4 of those, the battery consumption varies.  One stays at 1 00% (2 months now), another one about 100 feet away, the battery consumption is great.  I just put in a battery on Monday and today it is at 40%.  We moved the solar charger to the roof to get more sun, but it doesnt seem to matter.

So, my point is IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ULTRA and ULTRA2 in terms of battery consumption?   And is there a way from either the Mobile App or Web interface to determine what the camera is?   Can it be by Serial Number?,  Hardware? Firmware?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rdilauro wrote:

And is there a way from either the Mobile App or Web interface to determine what the camera is? 

Unfortunately not.  This has been requested more than once, but apparently is not a priority for Arlo Development.  

Personally I include the model in the camera name when I onboard them.  I also include the serial number (since it can't be seen if the camera goes offline).

You can of course pull the battery out, and look for the VMC label if you've lost track of what you have.  Both cameras say VMC5040, the difference is that the Ultras are -100XXX and the Ultra2s are -200XXX

@rdilauro wrote:

IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ULTRA and ULTRA2 in terms of battery consumption?  

I don't think so - at least it's not advertised.  Though I don't happen to have any Ultra2s.

The Ultra2 apparently has somewhat longer WiFi range, which maybe could reduce power use in some situations. On the other hand, the dual band radio in the Ultra2 might require more power.  Either way, I don't think it explains the difference you are seeing.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation