Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ultra 2.PNG

Cutting edge protection for what matters most

While typical security camera footage is infamous for its low fidelity, the Arlo Ultra camera and SmartHub deliver high performance 4K HDR that ensures cutting-edge image quality.

For more information about your Arlo Ultra 2 system and some other helpful resources, check out the links below:

Arlo Knowledge Base

YouTube

If you have any questions about the Arlo Ultra 2 system, post down below and we'll get to each one as soon as we can. If you need additional help, visit Arlo Support for more articles and resources.

Thank you for being part of the Arlo family!

28 REPLIES 28
JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

details on extended range?

current models allow for up to 300' from base station.

My WiFi barely reaches 300' but will the Arlo Ultra 2 still work with base recordings and able to live view from further than 300? Looking for minimum of 350'.

thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JehovasFitness,

Your home WiFi range isn't relevant to the Ultra 2's connectivity. Arlo Ultra 2 syncs to the SmartHub so signal strength/quality is dependent on the range and obstructions between the camera and your SmartHub. The maximum distance in terms of line of sight is still 300 feet, but the Ultra 2 camera will perform better than the original Ultra camera under the same conditions due to hardware improvements. As with the original Ultra camera, the conditions in your environment are the most important factor for connectivity. Physical obstructions and interference will reduce the maximum distance the camera can be placed from the SmartHub.

For more information on positioning your camera for best performance, take a look here: How do I position my Arlo wire-free camera?

JamesC

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks and good to know. Am I correct then I wouldn't be able to live view, but could access any triggered events via the Hub w/memory card?

JehovasFitness
Luminary
Luminary

Also, does elevation of the hub make much difference? Like if I put it on the 2nd story would that help achieve max distance?

As well as, is the Ultra smart hub better than previous hubs/base stations for distance, or is that mainly camera dependent?

thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JehovasFitness,

If connectivity is poor, you will have issues with both live streaming and triggered events. The camera needs to be able to communicate with the SmartHub to capture recordings and live stream.

Elevating the SmartHub can sometimes improve signal strength but again it really depends on the specific environment. The improvements range improvements with Ultra 2 are based on the camera hardware, not the SmartHub.

JamesC

WeAre911
Guide
Guide

Is this a newer generation than my current Arlo Ultra 4k?

If not, why does the post say introducing Arlo Ultra 2?...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ultra 2 is a new model, just as the Pro 2 (and 3) are newer models of the Pro cameras.

WeAre911
Guide
Guide
Al_FR-153
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ordered VMS5240 on July 9th direct from Arlo. It appears that this release is dated July 7th:

1)  Am I going to see the Ultra or the Ultra 2 cameras?  Order is still in the PENDING status as of July 12th. 

2) Are there any hardware changes to the base station/hub that I would need to know about?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

WeAre911,

Arlo Ultra 2 is available now exclusively at Costco.

Al_FR-153,

The VMS5240 is the original Ultra 2 camera kit. There are no changes to the included SmartHub, but take a look here for a information on camera changes: What is the difference between the Arlo Ultra 2 and Arlo Ultra cameras?

JamesC

Al_FR-153
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks....They arrived and are as you stated Ultra cameras

Robi1970
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any information about release dates for Europe?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Robi1970,

Not quite yet. Keep an eye on arlo.com for availability announcements.

JamesC

swang016
Initiate
Initiate
Why are both ultra 1 and ultra 2 are both VMC5040. Got my
Order from Costco today and comparing the model number and they seems like the same. Even the firmware are the same
Wsherman11
Guide
Guide

So it looks like these are available on costco and at Best Buy. When will you add an camera only option so we dont have to buy a new HUB if we already have one???? Those options arent available at either retailer.  And please dont answer with soon, keep an eye out for announcements. It would be nice to get some actual info for once. 

Orcamoon
Tutor
Tutor

Same question! Not only are my Ultra and Ultra 2 cameras the same, VMC5040s, the VMB5000r5 base stations are the same. I have not taken the time to check if there is dual-band Wi-Fi.

Wsherman11
Guide
Guide

The base stations are the same its the internals of the camera that are different. The dual band is one of the main differences. 

RobbyD
Tutor
Tutor
I have owned an Ultra system with 7 cameras currently connected to the system. A couple of them are further from the base station, and it takes a while to connect at times and the microphone feature takes a long time to load (like it’s actually ridiculously long), so I was interested in replacing a couple of cameras with the Ultra 2 cameras since they touted increased range and the ability to use the 5ghz band. I’m actually surprised that the original Ultra didn’t support the 5ghz band to begin with, especially with 4k video! Anyway, I went to my local Costco and picked up a box of Ultra 2 cameras. Much to my surprise, the Ultra 2 cameras are identical to the original Ultra cameras, right down to the model number (VMC5040). I connected one of the cameras to my current base station and it synced just fine. Is there a way to select the wifi band? I checked the new cameras settings and there are NO new options whatsoever.

This literally might be the most confusing and poorly planned product release I’ve ever seen. Not only is it odd that it’s not available on the Arlo site, but there are no visual indicators that there are any differences between the Arlo Ultra vs Ultra 2. They look the same, feel the same, have the same model numbers, and honestly have similar performance. I put one of the new cameras next to one of the old ones, and there’s literally no performance difference in terms of loading the Live view or using the microphone. What’s the deal?
Orcamoon
Tutor
Tutor

@RobbyD wrote:
This literally might be the most confusing and poorly planned product release I’ve ever seen. Not only is it odd that it’s not available on the Arlo site, but there are no visual indicators that there are any differences between the Arlo Ultra vs Ultra 2. They look the same, feel the same, have the same model numbers, and honestly have similar performance. I put one of the new cameras next to one of the old ones, and there’s literally no performance difference in terms of loading the Live view or using the microphone. What’s the deal?

Robby,

I see no evidence of increased range or dual band Wifi. I have not done a detailed Wifi analysis.

The only difference I can find between the cameras is Ultra: VMC5040 H7 firmware 1.070.50.4_223_df6cd69 vs Ultra "2" VMC5040 H10 1.070.50.4_223_df6cd69 is the Hardware H10 vs H7. Firmware is the same.

The base stations appear to be exactly the same hardware and firmware:  VMB5000r5 with firmware 1.16.2.5_633_62dfaa0.

I'm posting this to Costco. They need to figure out if Arlo has actually improved this product or if this is just a marketing scam.

RobbyD
Tutor
Tutor
It’s funny, about a month ago I called Arlo tech support and asked if the ultra 2 camera could connect to the base station my current arlo ultra is set up to and was told no. I’m glad I did a little more research and found out that she was wrong. I would like to hear from Arlo on how the 5ghz can be prioritized. I’m shocked that the Arlo Ultra didn’t support a 5ghz band considering the bandwidth needed for 4k video. I played with the arlo ultra and arlo ultra 2 cameras side by side, and there no difference between the two in term of performance. I’m surprised a company like Netgear would offer a product like this, it definitely doesn’t seem to be living up to the claims.
Nelchior
Tutor
Tutor

Without forgetting that the community managers/staff are conveniently ignoring the complaints on the forums. 

Just bought a set of three Arlo Ultra that Im going to return. The lag is ridiculous, no one seems to be helping on the forums, and I cant even tell whether I own the Ultra or Ultra 2. 

Honestly if this brand wasn't owned by Netgear, I would feel like this is all a scam. 

I still have 9 days left before I need to return them so Ill monitor the forums until then... but for now it's looking like this I'm reaching the end of my experience with this brand.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nelchior,

Have you opened a ticket with the Arlo Support team regarding the issue you're experiencing?

JamesC

RobbyD
Tutor
Tutor
I completely agree, it’s ridiculous that no representative has commented. I expected more from netgear.
dcfox1
Master
Master

The Ultra 2 product page is up and has a pre order other then costco 4 cam kit and an add on cam.  It said Oct 18 estimated. 

Discussion stats