Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

HomeKit won’t get past “Discovering Your Device”

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’d like to add the HomeKit support but the app (both iPhone and iPad) just sit on the Discovering your device. Please wait. Firmware is updated. I’ve restarted the base station.

Does this even actually work?

F55CF390-B690-4EB0-BD38-598ADEB8BD0E.jpeg

26 REPLIES 26
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have reset your HomeKit token, Please reboot your Base Station or Smart Hub and try again.

Thank you

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nope. I just rebooted it and it’s saying the same thing. “Discovering your device. Please wait.” Not even a status bar or anything to tell me it’s ACTUALLY doing anything. What else? So frustrating when it’s supposed to support something but yet it doesn’t work!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Loyed

I have a few things we can try:

• Which version of the Arlo app are you on?
  • Can you make sure your device is updated to the latest version of iOS
  • You can also try reinstalling the Arlo app
  • Do you have any other iOS devices you can test this on?
Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice
  • I'm on the latest version of the Arlo app - 3.5.13 (3397) released Feb 24, 2022
  • I'm on the latest update to iOS - 15.3.1
  • I've deleted and reinstalled the Arlo app on two devices
  • I've tried this on my phone and an iPad. 

- HomeKit does have Privacy permissions from Arlo set to on in the iOS settings

- I tried a fresh restart of the Arlo base station from the app

- Base station firmware is current as "no updates available"

- At least now when I go to the HomeKit setup I get a little spinning DEVICES FOUND thingy so I guess that's progress 🤷‍♂️

IMG_0809.PNG 

Yet another Arlo disappointment.

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

so I have done as suggested, deleted apps, reset base station, had to manually re-pair the cameras. I'm scared to try to add HomeKit again until the "token" is reset so.... waiting on that. 

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried to set it up again and it just still spins and spins with nothing. I guess we do need the "token" reset.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I reset it again for you. You can try rebooting the base station though the Arlo app settings if you like, under Settings > My Devices > Select Devices > Restart at the bottom. You can also try and reboot manually again.

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

So I did that but still the same thing... on the discovering your device page I just get the spinning ring on DEVICES FOUND.

It says "make sure your Arlo Camera is powered on and nearby" ... what does it say CAMERA?

What should happen?

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

The base station is flashing amber but the cameras are working fine so it all seems to be working.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

If it flashing amber it means: "The camera connection can’t be found, is out of range, or some other connection error has occurred."

It should be a solid blue once everything is up and running successfully. 

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well I've restarted the base station twice and it's still blinking. But yet both cameras are connected and working fine. 🤷‍♂️

Any other ideas?

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do you troubleshoot it when everything is working fine?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI Loyed,

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.HI Lyon

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is your phone or device you are trying to connect from connected to the same network as your base station? 

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not exactly. The base station is plugged into our Comcast router. Our wifi is a Eero mesh network that is also plugged into the router. But probably on the same network created by the Eero.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Loyed wrote:
Not exactly. The base station is plugged into our Comcast router. Our wifi is a Eero mesh network that is also plugged into the router. But probably on the same network created by the Eero.

Homekit only works on the local network, and if the Eero is also working as a router (which I think it's default behavior), then it's NAT firewall would prevent homekit setup.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you verify that your Phone/device is connected to the same network as your Comcast router. It looks like the mesh network may be interfering. 

Loyed
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m away but will try when I get home. But a couple of things:

The Comcast router creates the network so technically they can be connected to the same network.

Also, mesh networking tools are very very common. So this doesn’t work with any of them? HomeKit CAN work with mesh networks.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Loyed wrote:

Also, mesh networking tools are very very common. So this doesn’t work with any of them? HomeKit CAN work with mesh networks.

The problem isn't that you have a mesh. 

If your Eero is acting as a router (which as I said is it's normal behavior), then you won't be able to add the base to homekit, and you won't be able to access homekit unless you are connected to the comcast wifi.  The Eero firewall will block you. 

You can put the eero into bridge mode as described here: https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/208276903-How-do-I-bridge-my-eeros-

Or connect the base station to the eero router, and not the comcast router.  If you are already using the Eero LAN port, you can get an inexpensive ethernet switch to add more ports.

topmagazin
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue - stuck at “Discovering your device. please wait”.

Could somebody send a token reset?

Thank you.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@topmagazin

Are you still experiencing this issue. Did you receive the email from the support team from Arlo? 

tonyg0071
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi team

Is there a solution to reset one’s ability to add HomeKit to the Pro2 

When I click on “set up” in the app it never returns the base station?

I am however able to add to Google Home. I have the latest app version and firmware. 

Do I possibly need a reset of my base station's token as noted in the below solution?

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Arlo-Pro-2-HomeKit-setup-failed/m-p/1823596#M50390

Cesaro619
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello. I’m experiencing this same issue and am unable to add to home kit. Please advise and thank you.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Cesaro619

I have reset your HomeKit token, Please reboot your Base Station or Smart Hub and try again.

Thank you

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation