Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Green screen on recordings

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
diehrdbattery
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone still experience this? I have 2 Ultra 2's connected to a base station.  They are used outdoors and cover left and right for the front yard.  Occasionally, one of the cameras will record a green background.  Currently it seems to be for the first 10-15 seconds. The signal strength is 2 bars. It has been suggested that this is data corruption that occurs between the camera and a base station.  The base station is placed exactly between the 2 cameras in a center window on the sill.  The window is set back about 5 feet from the cameras, but the exterior is also brick.  The base station is connected to one of my Orbi mesh satellites via ethernet.  I have tested the internet speed with a laptop via ethernet and can get 300Mbps down (I have 1Gbps service). I have a breand new Cat7 cable that is used for the connection between the base station and satellite.

arlo diagram.jpgIMG_0842.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The brick house construction may be the culprit since it tends to block WiFi signals. Having the hub in the middle between the cameras is a good start but unless you know what's in the walls for the straight line WiFi path between the hub and each camera that may not be the best location. All sorts of metal may be in the path, reducing the signal or a 2.4GHz wireless device may be near that camera, interfering with the signal.

For starters, swap cameras around to see if it's the location or camera that's causing the problem. You could also try moving the hub a bit (as far as the cable allows) to see if that helps.

diehrdbattery
Aspirant
Aspirant

The issue can occur on either camera.  Unfortunately it's the closest I can get without actually having the base station outside.  The left camera has a window almost directly behind it which, while still closer, the right one then suffers due to distance.  As I understand it, the base station has a 300ft range assuming line of sight.  Distance wise there is less than 10 ft from base to camera, and just the brick siding.  I would expect reduced quality but not this... unless this "is" reduced quality to begin with.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@diehrdbattery wrote:

The issue can occur on either camera.  

Just to clarify this - the green screen is a result of video corruption - meaning some of the compressed video stream was lost during the recording.

If you have local storage connected to the base, you could check to see if the green screen also appears in those recordings.

Is the window Low-E glass or have other coatings?  Metallic coatings can block wifi signals.  

Beefordt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think it is more than that. This just started on 2 of my 6 cameras that have worked perfectly for almost 4 years. Now all of the sudden I have the same issue you have but haven't moved the base station from the spot where all 6 cameras have worked for a long time. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Beefordt wrote:

I think it is more than that. This just started on 2 of my 6 cameras that have worked perfectly for almost 4 years. Now all of the sudden I have the same issue you have but haven't moved the base station from the spot where all 6 cameras have worked for a long time. 

The green screen issue is always caused by some form of video corruption - either some loss on the connection path, or possibly a bug in the camera firmware.

FWIW, there are some things that can affect wifi connections even when the cameras aren't touched - for instance if your neighbor replaces their router.  

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation