Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ever since arlo done that update or whatever it was I can no longer view my recordings says download to view. Seen on here that it may depend on the type of processor you have. I am using Microsoft edge, my processor # is AMD A10-8700P RADEON R6,10COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G 1.80GHZ, Does anyone know if this will work or not?

18 REPLIES 18
Barc
Luminary
Luminary

I had the same problem with both Chrome and Edge.

I have an Intel processor, so you will need to download the latest AMD driver instead.

My fix was as follows:

The problem is due to a driver installed by Microsoft. Go to the Intel website and install the latest Intel driver, but DO NOT use the Clean Install option which completely removes the older drivers. If you use the Clean Install, when Microsoft discovers the older driver is missing, it reinstalls the problem driver and causes the issue to come back.

I did this 2 weeks ago and I've had no issues playing library videos since.

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Where do I go to about the driver install since I do not have a Intel processor. Thank you

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kevinjpainter24 wrote:

Ever since arlo done that update or whatever it was

This one is on Microsoft, not Arlo.

Try playing this trailer as a test:

DON'T use the defaults control on the page, that will make the test meaningless.  Just press the play icon on the video window.  If it works, you will see an hvc1 message embedded in the playing video.

You have a 6th gen AMD processor, which is supposed to have HEVC decoding.  So if you can't see the video, first double-check that hardware acceleration is enabled in the browser.

As far as drivers go, you could look at 

I'd check the support/downloads page of the laptop manufacturer first, as sometimes the laptop manufacturer will customize them.

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I not a computer genius but how do you check to see if hardware acceleration is enabled? Once again thank you, we have wasted several hours chatting with arlo support and we got nowhere!!

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, My bad the hardware acceleration is enabled i restarted it, tried playing videos again and got

the same message, i will try the link you mentioned shortly! 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kevinjpainter24 wrote:

OK, My bad the hardware acceleration is enabled i restarted it, tried playing videos again and got

the same message, i will try the link you mentioned shortly! 

Maybe also try Chrome, to rule out a problem with Edge.

Firefox won't work, so no need to try that.

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, tried the link and all i got was 3 blocks flashing

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried chrome and got the same message

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kevinjpainter24 wrote:

Tried chrome and got the same message

Ok.  So definitely not Arlo, just that for some reason the windows isn't engaging the hardware decode for HEVC (despite the setting).

Reinstalling the video/graphics drivers is a reasonable next step.  Again, I recommend checking the laptop manufacturer support site first, and then maybe try the more generic AMD drivers if that doesn't help.

Laptop power settings might also factor into this, so maybe look into that possibility.  One easy test is to plug in the laptop, and see if that makes any difference.  Power Settings would be more likely if you had a separate GPU chip.  Then it is common to allow the GPU hardware to be switched on and off (and sometimes power settings will do that for you).  I think in your case you are using integrated graphics (your processor does feature integrated Radeon graphics with HEVC decoding).

There is a workaround, but not ideal.  If you turn on the auto zoom & track feature in the camera, then it will zoom in on the area of motion.  That is lower resolution, so you won't end up with 4K HEVC in the recording.  Then the video recording will play in the browser.  The downside is that the tracking doesn't work perfectly.  I found it annoying when I tried it, so turned the feature back off.  But that was some years back - it's possible it's been improved.

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I will give it a try later today and I will post how it goes 

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much, it is now working, I did the driver update/install and it is back to normal.

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got the laptop fixed but not on my PC which is a HP with a Intel processor Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU B3220T@2.60Ghz. Tried the driver update but said none were available through the assistant. Hardware acceleration is enabled.  Any suggestions. Thank you!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kevinjpainter24 wrote:

Got the laptop fixed but not on my PC which is a HP with a Intel processor Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU B3220T@2.60Ghz.

Do you mean G3220T?  That's a fourth gen Intel processor (~2013).   It never supported HEVC decode.

Based on other posts here, Edge would still play HEVC (using a software decoder) on machines w/o HEVC hardware if you'd installed the Windows HEVC extension on the PC.

That appears to be what got broken a couple of weeks ago - and would require Microsoft to fix it.  No idea if they will or not.

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

My bad, it is G322OT, we had this issue before and we got the HEVC video extension for .99 through Microsoft and then it worked up to about 3 to 4 weeks ago and now it is back to unable to play in your browser, download to view.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kevinjpainter24 wrote:

My bad, it is G322OT, we had this issue before and we got the HEVC video extension for .99 through Microsoft and then it worked up to about 3 to 4 weeks ago and now it is back to unable to play in your browser, download to view.

Understood.  

I believe that Edge was using a software HEVC decoder when the extension installed on a PC w/o hardware decoder.

The newest release isn't doing that, so as I said before, this is something only Microsoft can switch.

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok thank you, is it something worth contacting Microsoft about, if you hear anything, please let us know. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kevinjpainter24 wrote:

is it something worth contacting Microsoft about

Up to you of course.  No idea on the change was intentional, or if it's just a bug.

The software decoder is only needed for Windows PCs that ~7 years old or older, so I suspect it won't be a very high priority issue for them.

(FYI, I still have an HP Z210 workstation with a 2nd gen processor running, so I am not meaning to suggest that you ought to buy a new desktop).

Kevinjpainter24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I will try to get ahold of Microsoft later today and let you know what happens. 

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation