Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does the Ultra 2 require an Arlo Secure plan?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
OkieArlo
Follower
Follower

I currently have Arlo Pro cameras and want to learn what ongoing costs are required to upgrade to the newer cameras.  My current base station is compatible with the Ultra 2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@OkieArlo wrote:

I currently have Arlo Pro cameras and want to learn what ongoing costs are required to upgrade to the newer cameras.  My current base station is compatible with the Ultra 2.

If you have a VMB4000 or a VMB4500, then you'll need to get a subscription to get any cloud storage.  The single camera subscription is only for 2K, so you'd either need to get the multicamera subscription, or perhaps get a Pro 4 (which is 2K) instead.

Upgrading the base to a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 would allow you to use direct access to local storage w/o a subscription.  There are some limitations:

• Recordings are only available in the app (not the browser)
  • Recordings are only available for the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • No thumbnails
  • Remote access requires router settings changes that some find difficult - and which are not possible on some networks (for example Starlink and T-mobile broadband).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@OkieArlo wrote:

If you have a VMB4000 or a VMB4500, then you'll need to get a subscription to get any cloud storage.  The single camera subscription is only for 2K, so you'd either need to get the multicamera subscription, or perhaps get a Pro 4 (which is 2K) instead.

Upgrading the base to a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 would allow you to use direct access to local storage w/o a subscription.  There are some limitations:

• Recordings are only available in the app (not the browser)
  • Recordings are only available for the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • No thumbnails
  • Remote access requires router settings changes that some find difficult - and which are not possible on some networks (for example Starlink and T-mobile broadband).
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation