Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cross-Triggering and Activity Zones questions

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Fletcharlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are already several threads on this topic, but I'd like to ask moderator @ShayneS  a couple of questions that I've not seen asked or haven't seen answered completely. 

Basically, the issue I and others are facing is that for cross-triggering to cause recording to be retained on cross-triggered cameras, there can be no activity zones set.  

It's been said by moderator(s) in many of the existing threads that the functionality of these cameras regarding activity zones not working with cross-triggering is "by design."  Saying that this is by design implies (to me) that there is some rationale beyond complexity of programming that makes the cameras not record with activity zones when cross-triggered.  With this in mind:

1.  Is there a security related or other reason why cross-triggering and recording with activity zones set has been disabled?

1a.  If the answer to number 1 is "yes" then please describe what the issue might be.

1b.  If the answer to number 1 above is "no" then please explain what the issue is that prevents cross-triggering and activity zones to work.

2.  Assuming that the limitation in recording on cross-triggered cameras is because of a lack of capabiity and not for any security or other necessary reason, can you determine whether anything is actively being done to address this issue?

2a.  If yes, can you give any idea when this might be addressed and the functionality added?

2b.  If no, then can you tell us why this won't be fixed?

3.  I've seen other posts saying that you can have an Activity Zone active for 1 of the cameras and still record on a that camera when it's cross-triggered.   Is this true?  If so, can you describe how to set up cross-triggering with an activity zone set on a single camera so that all triggered cameras will record?

=======================

Comments aside from the questions above:  I've removed the zones from my cameras and they do cross-trigger and record.  However, I've gone from accurate and appropriate triggers (about 5-10 per day) to as many as 100 per day with most of those being leaves on trees or cars passing down the street.  All of these triggered recordings are on the Arlo Cloud server.  I can't imagine this is what Arlo wants.  Nevermind that how the cameras were described in promotional material is incomplete (being nice), this lack of cross-triggering/activity zone cooperation would seem to be costing Arlo server space.  For me, it also means that my battery life is being consumed by these false cross-triggers at a very high rate.  

7 REPLIES 7
Fletcharlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC 

Can you take a look at this post from a week ago or have another moderator review it?  Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fletcharlo,

Activity Zones are determined by cloud analytics, not the camera hardware. So when the camera detects a PIR event, it sends that information to the cloud to determine whether or not that event occurred within the zone you have defined. If the motion was outside the zone, the event is then filtered from your library. When a cross-trigger rule is applied, the activity zones are bypassed for the camera being triggered. This means when you have Camera A telling Camera B to trigger when Camera A detects a PIR event, Camera B will record regardless of what Activity Zones are set up on Camera A or Camera B, and the resulting clip will be stored in the library. Cross-triggering was not designed to adhere to Activity Zones. We can pass this feedback along to the development team and request an enhancement.

As a side note, Activity Zones will not preserve battery life as the camera still detects, and records motion even when motion occurs outside the zone. The recording is simply discarded if it occurred outside the defined zone.

JamesC

Fletcharlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC 

Thanks for your prompt response.  I've found it very difficult to clearly convey questions or fully understand answers when it comes to cross-triggering.  So forgive me while I admit confusion and ask for further clarification.

You said:

"...when you have Camera A telling Camera B to trigger when Camera A detects a PIR event, Camera B will record regardless of what Activity Zones are set up on Camera A or Camera B, and the resulting clip will be stored in the library. "

What you are describing is exactly what I'd hoped would happen.  I had zones set on Camera A and Camera B and reciprocal cross-triggers on both cameras so if either camera detected a PIR event it would trigger the other to record.  The cross-trigger was happening, as I could see the cross-triggered camera light activated, but no recording was ever visible/available in the library.   What seems to be happening is that the Camera A tells Camera B to record, but with Camera B NOT detecting a PIR event itself, it does not record (or maybe the cloud analytics discard it) when activity zones are set.

When I deleted the activity zones from both cameras (leaving the cross-trigger rules exactly the same), the cross-triggered cameras' recordings were available though the number of trigger notifications and recordings passed on to the app went up by a factor of 20 with the additional notifications almost all for extraneous movement on the camera detecting the initial PIR event.

So, if I understand what you wrote in the text I quoted, I SHOULD be able to set activity zones AND be able to find in the app library cross-triggered recordings on cameras with activity zones set.  For example, if I have an activity zone set on Camera B and Camera A detects a PIR event that is outside of the detection area for Camera B and cross-triggers Camera B, Camera B should record and make available in the library a recording.  Is that correct?  Am I misunderstanding what you wrote?

I will probably have follow-ups.  Sorry.  Also, is there a whitepaper on this topic available?

Fletcharlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC 

Can you take a look at my follow up above or refer it to another moderator?  Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fletcharlo,

Activity Zones that are set on Camera A and Camera B should not have any impact on the behavior of cross-triggering. These are two separate functions. If you have rules for Camera A to trigger Camera B when Camera A detects motion, any activity zones set on Camera B should not impact that rule and a recording should arrive in the library.

JamesC

Fletcharlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

@JamesC 

OK.  I'll try setting activtiy zones and cross-triggering again.  Are there any guides or do you have any suggestions to ensure that these cross-triggers work properly beyond these?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062049/How-do-I-set-up-cross-triggering-between-my-Arlo-cameras-and-my-Arlo-S...

https://kb.arlo.com/000062388/How-do-I-trigger-the-floodlight-on-my-Arlo-Pro-3-Floodlight-Camera

https://kb.arlo.com/1015583/How-do-I-optimize-motion-detection-for-my-Arlo-camera

https://kb.arlo.com/000062071/How-do-I-set-up-cross-triggering-between-my-Arlo-camera-and-Arlo-Chime

Also, is there any way to export rules we create to have someone at Arlo (or in the community) review them?

The rules seem straightforward and not sure why I was able to cross-trigger but not see any recordings before when activity zones were active.  Based on your responses, I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fletcharlo,

Those are good articles to reference for this topic. If you continue to experience any issues, I encourage you to reach out to the support team to troubleshoot further. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link: Arlo Support Team

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation