Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station Wifi

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Waldo7
Follower
Follower

Hey guys,

Im looking at purchasing an Arlo Ultra 2 package with base station and solar panels, 4 camera pack. 
I have a couple of questions. How many cameras can I connect up as I’m looking at about 6 if the 4 pack works well.

Next question is I have my main router in the house and it’s connected to my 1st shed, then to my 2nd shed then to the granny flat all via Ethernet setup at wireless access points in each shed and granny flat. As I have a large wifi range on my property, if I use a base station will it want to use its own wifi for the cameras to connect up to? I’d like to use a base station for the storage capability and not so much the wifi, is this possible?

The VMB4540 seems more applicable to my needs rather than the VMB5000 as I can plug a 2TB HDD to it. 
Lastly, the Ultras 2 can run on 5ghz network. My internet network is set up as dual band catering for 5ghz. I see the VMB5000 is the only base station that is capable of 5ghz. I don’t need the VMB5000 if I’m only wanting to utilise the storage facility on the base station. Hope this all makes sense. 
Thankyou.

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I happen to be running 18 total devices, with one hub and the security system. Hooking up 6 cameras is no issue but be aware that the hub can only support 5 streaming at once (usually not an issue). 

The hub does create its own WiFi network and isn't expandable. You can add more hubs if that's the best way for your setup but at a cost. Use of your WiFi gets around that but then you have to have cloud recordings since cameras must be connected to the hub for local recordings. 

The 2TB hard drive can be an issue, starting with power (the port is USB 2.x so has that power limitation) but externally powering it resolves that problem. An appropriately sized thumb drive is much easier to work with and even a 64GB drive will hold a lot of recordings, especially for only 6 cameras. I copy videos off my drive monthly (and then reformat the drive) so I never have an issue but even every few months should suffice. Just monitor usage/space for a while to figure out how often you need to do the copies.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation