Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Device Appears Offline Error Message

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Seattleeric
Guide
Guide

I've read multiple posts on this topic and it seems to be a common problem.  I recently purchased an Arlo Ultra 2 system for a second home.  It runs fine for a short while but within a day or two I always get an error message telling me that my "Arlo Device Appears Offline."  Other connected devices in my home are working fine so I know my wireless system is fine. 

I see that other posts have been closed as "resolved" but I don't see evidence of resolution in the messages and my system certainly isn't working.  Is there a fix for this problem?  Does this system work properly for anyone?

Hardware: VMB5000r5

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Seattleeric
Guide
Guide

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.  I made two changes and everything seems to be working fine now. I moved the hub to a more central location so it's halfway between two outdoor cameras and I also followed advice from another post and set up a custom mode that replicates all the settings of "Armed" but went through the motions of doing the settings for each camera.  Not sure which of these two adjustments made the difference but all is working fine now.  Thanks.  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What have you tried when "offline"? What is the hub showing for its LED? How long have you waited to see if the message clears? Do you still get recordings and notifications?

Seattleeric
Guide
Guide

Thanks,  when I have had the opportunity to witness this onsite I see that the light on the hub is flashing amber.  It is connected via ethernet cable to a satellite/mesh hub.  I have connected both the wireless hub and the Arlo hub to smart plugs so that I can remotely cut off the power and start them again.  First attempts to do that seemed to work, but not anymore.   Your question about "how long have I waited" is interesting.  I don't think I've waited more than a minute.  Today I'll keep the app open for a long stretch of time and see what happens .

Seattleeric
Guide
Guide

..and I have received no notifications while the hub is offline.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Seattleeric,

Is the hub offline or is a camera offline? A flashing amber LED on the your SmartHub could be an indication that a camera has dropped offline (this could be due to poor signal strength or range). For more information, take a look here: What do the LEDs on my Arlo SmartHub or base station mean?

JamesC

Seattleeric
Guide
Guide

Thanks James. Next time I'm there I'll make sure I'm interpreting the lights correctly and may try adjusting location of hub.  We'll see if this helps.

Seattleeric
Guide
Guide

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.  I made two changes and everything seems to be working fine now. I moved the hub to a more central location so it's halfway between two outdoor cameras and I also followed advice from another post and set up a custom mode that replicates all the settings of "Armed" but went through the motions of doing the settings for each camera.  Not sure which of these two adjustments made the difference but all is working fine now.  Thanks.  

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation