Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Am I able to use the second SmartHub to extend connectivity range? If so, how?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
DCGillespie
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am sure this question will get laughed out of the group so please forgive my ignorance in advance! OK. So I am running 4 x Ultra 2 and 3 x Pro 3 cameras from an VMB5000 Smart Hub. The cameras indoors are working reasonably well but the outdoor cameras seem to be on the very edge of just about reachable - even though they are probably less than 60 feet from the base station but with several thick walls in the way. And talking of thick - I am sure this next question will come into this category! - I have a brand new spare VMB4540 smart hub and I keep seeing it being referred to as a 'add on'. So can anyone tell me if I am able to use this second Smart Hub in any way to extend the connectivity range of my outdoor cameras connected to the VMB5000 and , if so, how do I do this. (Told you it was a really stupid question!) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not only a very good question but one we suggest on a semi-regular basis.

Yes, add the 4540 to your account. Position it in an area that allows a better signal for some of the cameras (you may need a WiFi extender, a long Ethernet cable to your router or use of a satellite for a mesh network if you have one). This will also allow you to reposition the original hub for a better signal to the rest of the cameras if needed. Remove the cameras that you want on the 4540 and then add them to that hub. That way you will have two complete systems that will work together while providing the best possible signal to every camera.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not only a very good question but one we suggest on a semi-regular basis.

Yes, add the 4540 to your account. Position it in an area that allows a better signal for some of the cameras (you may need a WiFi extender, a long Ethernet cable to your router or use of a satellite for a mesh network if you have one). This will also allow you to reposition the original hub for a better signal to the rest of the cameras if needed. Remove the cameras that you want on the 4540 and then add them to that hub. That way you will have two complete systems that will work together while providing the best possible signal to every camera.

DCGillespie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks you so very much. This is just a perfect solution for me. I am most grateful.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation