Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 16 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I recently set up the Arlo skill in Alexa to get trigger announcements on my Echo device.  When there are genuine triggers Alexa makes an announcement 😀.

However, from time to time Alexa makes false announcements (when I know there has been no trigger) and there is no alert on my iPhone nor any recordings in my library.

(Could it be possible that the false announcements occur when there is movement captured outside my defined Activity Zone???)

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hello, 

Thank you for all your reports and assistance, Your efforts are appreciated. At this time what you are experiencing is the expected behavior. We have sent a request to change this behavior to the engineering team. This will be evaluated for an adjustment regarding the activity zones/announcements. 

27 REPLIES 27
Chrisbeams
Tutor
Tutor

Hi for some reason Alexa is announcing motion when the app is not, I do see that the camera has detected movement but I guess there’s some timing issue as the app wont alert but Alexa will?

corihollis
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't know what's wrong but motion detection announcement on my Alexa app (Android) is disabled. I just get the Something is not working banner. Perhaps the update will fix this.

Thanks!

essaydune

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Chrisbeams

Do you have Push Notifications enabled within your Modes > Rules for the camera(s) you wish to receive notifications from? 

Chrisbeams
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I do have them set, it seems car head lights are the issue every night. I have sensitivity down to 20 and made the activity zone smaller but still every car sets it off.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you updated to the latest version of the Android app V3.0?

Chrisbeams
Tutor
Tutor

i am on the iphone, so notifications work fine to it but the question is

1. why does alexa alert when the phone does not

2. why do car lights at night set it off anyhow

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Chrisbeams

I'll do my best to answer your questions. Do you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app (v3.0) installed on you iPhone? 

Vehicles are large & can reflect a much larger amount IR. Also (PIR) detection requires side-to-side motion across the field of view to trigger. Passive infrared works by detecting changes across a few vertical zones in the field of view. You might want to try adjusting your cameras angle to avoid  these vehicles as much as possible. 

You can also adjust the cameras sensitivity to see if you can achieve your desired results. Additionally, you can utilize activity zones to filter out the unwanted notifications. 

Chrisbeams
Tutor
Tutor
Hi yes latest version and reduced sensitivity and reduced activity zones a lot. The question is more about why does Alexa alert (false) when the app doesn’t.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Retired_Member

Thank you for the info,  May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? Thanks

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

I have tried:

• Redefining the camera’s activity zone; and
  • Disabling and re-enabling the Alexa skill.

Neither worked. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

If you like, you can try to remove the camera from Settings > My Devices then Re-add it. Other than this TS step, I would like to refer you customer support so they can investigate this issue.You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have been in touch with Arlo Technical Support (case #42362164) but they have no solution.

I will try removing and re-adding the device and will report back...

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have removed and re-added the device.

Issue is still unresolved - false alarm triggered on Alexa device when there is movement captured by Arlo camera which outside of defined activity zone (no notification or recording in Arlo app).

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @Retired_Member

I have escalated your case & someone from support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. I have provided your escalations number here: 42406360

Thank you

Phaggard11
Aspirant
Aspirant
How can the app version be bad when the app works but the Alexa is not.
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi, 

This ticket was raised some time back and I have not heard back.

Do you know if there has been any update?

Thanks

Anthony

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi Rubes,

Thank you for the update. I have looked in to this and there is a known issue regarding this report. I will provide an update as soon as possible. Someone from support will be reaching out to you as well. 

Thank you!

Jfried112
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having same issue… it appears Alexa does not notice the smart subscription activity zones
Chrisbeams
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah i just had to turn Alexa off as it was so annoying..

ZPAKK
Initiate
Initiate

I am just about at the point of turning it off as well, but MAN would that be a shame. Having the motion notifications is one of the biggest perks of this system!!! I just opened my own case after an hour or so of troubleshooting - no resolution.

• This issue just started after upgrading my driveway camera from an Arlo Pro 2, to an Arlo Ultra 1. Same location, same mount, same position - but now I get all of the ghost notifications and false alerts via Alexa, when nothing is there and nothing is recorded on the base station. SO FRUSTRATING!!!!
  • It appears to be related to sunlight, as I am only getting the false notifications after sunrise and before sunset.
  • I consistently get about 5 false notifications per hour. 

Someone please fix this!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello, 

Thank you for all your reports and assistance, Your efforts are appreciated. At this time what you are experiencing is the expected behavior. We have sent a request to change this behavior to the engineering team. This will be evaluated for an adjustment regarding the activity zones/announcements. 

chavoush
Initiate
Initiate

Just would like to report I have the same problem.

Arlo works perfect on iphone with both Homekit and Arlo app. But Alexa keep sending false notifications, getting annoying, on my echo.

Again, like the OP the problem is not Arlo camera or app, those work well. problem is why is alexa making notifications when the iphone Homekit and Arlo app aren't.

please resolve. Like most, got the Arlo given cross compatibility. Hate to say it, but had higher hopes. the other thing that bugs me is that you can't rotate 90 degrees for optimal side walk view.

ZPAKK
Initiate
Initiate

Interesting to see that this issue has been marked "SOLVED". 

I have narrowed down the issue to be when any motion is observed within the view of the camera, even if outside of the defined activity zones. The reason I did not experience this with my Arlo Pro and I do with the Arlo Ultra is because the Arlo Ultra has a wide angle lens and covers much more expansive areas of my property (and beyond).

• If I adjust the camera to point straight down at my driveway, no false alerts, just real alerts. 
  • If I adjust the camera angle to point where I want it to, it is picking up cars and people out on the street and sidewalk. The only difference is, the app is filtering these motions and not recording - Alexa is not.

ROOT CAUSE OF FALSE MOTION ALERTS: Alexa is not conforming to the motion activity zones. 

Please fix this! This should not be a "suggestion for review", rather a bug that needs to be fixed ASAP. Thank you

Retired_Member
Not applicable

This should not be marked as "SOLVED".

Arlo do not hide behind "this expected behavior".

The expected behavior is defective - please treat as an issue and fix!