Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO Ultra 2 external charging cable

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
steam-trap
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've a number of Arlo Ultra 2 cameras fitted externally and located in hard to reach spots. To make battery recharging easier I'm thinking of investing in the purchase of external charging cables. These cables will be permanently connected to each camera, however as the cables are referred to as charging, are they to be connected to a permanent live charging source or only when the cameras indicate low battery power? 

If the charging cables are to be permanently connected to a live charging source, will this procedure have a detrimental affect in shortening the life of the batteries?

Any advice on this matter will be appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing to understand is that although this is called a "charging cable", it has an integrated power adapter.

@steam-trap wrote:

These cables will be permanently connected to each camera, however as the cables are referred to as charging, are they to be connected to a permanent live charging source or only when the cameras indicate low battery power? 

It's up to you - you can connect them permanently, or only connect them when the battery needs recharging.

@steam-trap wrote:

If the charging cables are to be permanently connected to a live charging source, will this procedure have a detrimental affect in shortening the life of the batteries?

Arlo says not, though of course this is difficult claim to verify.  FWIW, I have connected some cameras to AC power permanently, and I have not seen any issue with the battery life.

steam-trap
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond StephenB, it's much appreciated.

Clearly Arlo are rather vague in offering advice as to how these cables should be used and of course if the cameras are permanently powered, you will never know how the batteries are performing.

The charging of Li-Ion batteries is a contentious issue as it affects the battery life (mobile/cell phone manufacturers are equally vague in giving advise about charging instructions; but enjoy after-market battery sales). Clearly these batteries are  never on permanent charge but I suspect that if they were, then unless the charging circuit within the device cuts the power when the battery is fully charged, then they would be subjected to premature failure. Drawing upon this analogy, I suspect the same will apply to the Arlo batteries.

I suppose that unless I up-sticks and move house, then I will never know that permanently charged batteries are no longer operating at peak performance.

Like most things in life you pay the money, then the choice is yours, convenience or longevity.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@steam-trap wrote:

Drawing upon this analogy, I suspect the same will apply to the Arlo batteries.

Arlo does say there is overcharge protection.

You can also run the camera on the charging cables w/o batteries if you like.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation