Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

AngeloM
Arlo Employee Retired

arlo logo.png

Hello Arlo Customers,

We are aware of a reported issue for some customers where the Arlo Base Station is appearing offline. We are actively investigating this issue and working to resolve it.

If you are currently experiencing this issue please reply to this thread with the following details so we can further isolate the issue:

Base Station firmware:

Device type showing offline (Arlo, Arlo Pro, Arlo Pro 2, Arlo Baby, Arlo Q, etc.):

Internet Service Provider:

Exact error message:

The application used (iOS, Android, Web):

We apologize for the inconvenience,

Arlo Team

245 REPLIES 245
macjohn
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue. After apparently resolving the "base station offline" problem, the notifications continue to be a major

headache. It is a daily lack of alert notifications of motion detection to my phone. Sometimes I"m able to toggle on and off

the alert notification on the "mode" screen and it fixes it for the day, but then the alerts stop arriving again. Other times I am

able to restart my phone (iPhone X) running iOS 11, and it fixes it for the day. There is no pattern to this.

Pocketkaiser
Tutor
Tutor

Base Station firmware:  unknown ... ABOUT on the web shows : 2.5.0.885_21333

Device type showing offline: Arlo

Internet Service Provider: Deutsche Telekom

Exact error message: Ihre Basisstation ist offline -  Vergewissern Sie sich, dass das Gerät eingeschaltet und mit dem Internet verbunden ist.

The application used iOS and Web

If I refresh the Web site from a browser I can get a live feed as long as I do not connect to the mode page. It is not detecting motion and storing my videos or maybe it is and the station can't tell me. 

Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
Still OFF LINE since this last FW update
Ridiculous!!!!
Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
Dawn , it’s the 26th of May and still no luck and well and truely OFF LINE !!!!!!

When will somebody from ARLO / NETGEAR step up and claim responsibility that issue is on your end and stop saying it’s on user end making them delete all devices , delete apps and restart load and even suggesting to do full reset ( which I have find all of the above numerous times ) .

SYSTEM HAS WORKED PERFECTLY FROM THE TIME I INSTALLED ON THE27th of December 2017 at my holiday home and now since the 15th of May complete failure !!!!!

I have emailed and opened tickets withsupport , had to repeat myself repeatedly to your online support and act like they have never heard any issue with this FW update .

Can somebody email me with details of when fix will occur or fess up you have ruined the system and are ARLO units are useless so we can go back to where we got them from and get a full refund and move onto another supplier of security systems .

Can somebody please contact ASAP ivan.fanjek@aidacare.com.au

Based in Australia
CandS
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m getting really concerned about the reliability and the security of this system. Ever since the app update 2.5.0 our system has been plagued with problems. Now I get an arlo notification flash up on my phone stating change your password immediately. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on? Has Netgear been hacked?
Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
Nothing is fixed and still OFFLINE here in Australia as at the 26th of May
Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
Same issue still here in Victoria with same basestation and FW as you , 26th of May and still offline
Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks you I’m in Australia and still offline as at today 7:17pm 26th May Saturday !!!
Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
Mine is still Offline here in Australia .
I have provided you and Customer support all my details , serial numbers , email etc and no response and no fix yet as at Saturday 26th of May .

Please somebody let us know what’s happening and email info as to what further we can do !!??
Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
After many attempts to delete devices and reinstall and then continuing to show that base station and cameras need FW update , then offline , thenback to base station and cameras need updating , THE BASE STATION NOW JUST HAS THE FIRST GREEN LED FLASHING AT ONE SECOND INTERVALS WITH NO INTERNET OR CAMERA LIGHTS SHOWING FOR THE LAST 12 HOURS .

Internet working perfectly fine with numerous speed tests showing 10-15 mbs down load and all devises in home working perfectly .
Susanmay1967
Aspirant
Aspirant
No it’s not resolved, I’m still having to put my password in even after changing it, to get it to work!! Basically wasted money because I have to log in and watch my house myself, I get no notifications at all now! How do I fix this or are you gonna fix or are you even gonna answer me?!?! I never had to do this before now it’s constantly, fix it please!
Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
Hi Susan ,

Where are you located ?

I’m in Victoria , Australia
Susanmay1967
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi I’m in Jacksonville Florida
Ifanj72
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks Susan .

I’ve been going through various posts , chats etc and all seems to stem from last FW update and seems like many have issues as we do .
Susanmay1967
Aspirant
Aspirant
There saying it’s not on them (Arlo) is how I’m reading it. So who’s gonna fix this problem? I’m in no position to run out and buy new camera systems at any given time. This is ridiculous,, a big waste to have to put my password in every time my phone goes to sleep or off or whatever it’s called.
LBastion
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has this been resolved and if so, what is the solution?

YB2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any updates? I can see the live streams from the arlo.netgear.com but the base status is offline and hence I cannot change the mode to "motion detection" for example.

YB2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Experiencing exact same issue. Any updates?

YB2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue and it is not resolved despite multiple calls and escalating to L2 support. Is there a fix for this issue? I can stream from the web but when I check device status, base goes offline and I cannot change the status of the cameras. Thank you for your help

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A valid troubleshooting step, although a PITA, is to reset the system and start fresh. Takes some time/effort but can clear up weidnesses. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Press the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to claim the base. Sync the cameras. Verify firmware is up to date.

velociped
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat suggests the following to be a "valid troubleshooting step". It is not.

"A valid troubleshooting step, although a PITA, is to reset the system and start fresh. Takes some time/effort but can clear up weidnesses. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Press the reset button on the base until the LEDs flash amber. Use the Add Device button on the Devices tab to claim the base. Sync the cameras. Verify firmware is up to date."

It is unclear to me what many of you mean when you describe your systems as being "offline". Is that what the software indicates or is that simply a term you are using to describe an inability to access and use your system? If the latter, your base station, like mine, could be bricked. To determine the latter, consider the following story.

My system displayed the cameras cameras as offline around two weeks ago, due to a need to update the firmware. Being capable of doing so remotely, I initiated this process through the web interface. Monitoring the progress, I noted messages indicating the firmware update was in progress; the system was rebooting; and, finally, that the base station was offline.

Arriving at home, I found that the power LED was flashing at one second intervals. Reviewing what this indicates revealed that a firmware update was in progress...still...after six hours. Knowing that to be impossible, I contacted technical support and was instructed to power cycle the base station. No difference. I was then told to remove the base station from my account and add it back. No difference. I was then instructed to reset the base station (ala jguerdat). No difference. Finally, I was told I was eligible for an RMA replacement.

I will not rehash the egregious Netgear practice of requiring customers to pay for an RMA caused by incompetence on the part of the vendor; I covered that earlier and via Twitter. Two days later the replacement base station arrived. After swapping the hardware and booting the device, guess what? The first thing it did was download and install a firmware update, which resulted in the base station being unresponsive and not available for pairing. A power cycle did not work, either. I had to do a HARDWARE RESET on a new (to me) device in order to get the base station to appear and pair.

My suggestion to anyone reading this who continues to have an unresponsive base station is to check the LEDs. If the power LED is flashing green at one second intervals and you are unable to perform a hardware reset, the unit is bricked. DEMAND that Netgear send you an RMA replacement. Be forewarned, you be required to pay $17 for the priviledge of resolving their mistake. Also be prepared to do a hardware reset on the replacement base station, as it will perform a firmware update upon initial power-on and that may render the unit unresponsive, as well.

This has been a massive cluster **bleep** to say the least. Netgear should be ashamed of themselves for this fiasco and should be bending over backwards to resolve ANY and ALL issues experienced by Arlo users. Instead, they are shirking responsibility and encouraging obsequient sycophants, like jguerdat, to come on the forums and repeat the same flawed and ineffective advice.

AppleArlo
Star
Star

I fully agree with the post by velociped at 2018-05-28 12:14 AM.

We are not being treated by Netgear as real users can expect in 2018. The gaping chasm between Netgear technical and their user base is reminiscent of the 1990s. You cannot expect any loyalty and support for your products if you bat back the complaints of real problems with silence or "reset, rinse, repeat" solutions that do not work.

At the very least the company and the expert level need to be more forthcoming.

A long history in IT tells me poor technical support and silence from management leads to the demise of technical companies.

I can no longer recommend Arlo to those currentl this solutuion.

Here's hoping it will be done better!!

mocodi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Glad I didn't draw as short a straw as velociped and others, but that could be me next time, and this incident has given me the extra push needed to start testing the waters with another (wired) product and diversify my setup after being exclusively Arlo for two years. One of the unfortunate pitfalls of becoming used to having surveillance cameras is that feeling of vulnerability or anxiety when the system goes down or becomes unreliable, and disempowerment when you're dependent on the vendor to fix it.

I still think Arlo is pretty impressive in many respects, and you can do a lot worse, but those who have the means would be wise not to put all their video surveillance eggs in the one basket. Just feel sorry for people with more limited means who invested their time and money into Arlo and feel stuck with it despite having significant issues.

AppleArlo
Star
Star

Yes, I think many of us are in the same boat, having recommended Arlo Pro and seeing friends suffer the problems. Most feel they need a tech representing them, then a lawyer!

meizydavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT

Prior to Arlo their was Vuezone

I had 2 systems one in Utah and one in California both with 15 cameras each

because Netgear released Arlo they made Vuezone obsolete

and would not support it any more after only 4 years but still worked.

then Apple came out with a new IOS version which made the App quit working on the Iphone

and Netrgear blamed it on Apple.

so I bought an Arlo and replaced the California unit 15 cameras (loved it)

so 4 weeks ago I bought another Arlo system for the Utah unit to replace Vuezone

then the Firmware update effeted the California Unit

fortunatly mine was fixed quickly about 30 hours after Firmware problem.

just 3 days ago was installing a brand new Unit in Utah and during installation it looks for the serail number

so you dont have to input it (I should have checked the number it used)

low and behold after setup and the cameras

I was seeing in someone elses House !!!! and all their cameras were now on my system

so apparently if you have someones serial number you now have their Unit as yours

I COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS

I feel for all those who have not had their systems fixed, it is shameful

and I cannot recommend this to anyone, its unfortunate it is a great product

but that means nothing without support, and if just one customer is effected and not fixed

I cannot support Arlo (Netgear) ever

STAND UP FIX THIS