Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Smart notifications don't show preview / says everything is "motion"

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Kiryen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Arlo Smart Premier subscription for my doorbell and since this weekend, the notifications I get no longer have a preview and reports everything as "motion"; however, when I look in the library tab in the app, motion types are properly detected (vehicle, person, etc.). It almost seems like the notifications are firing too early?

I've tried restarting the doorbell, removing then re-adding the doorbell in the active camera list for smart notifications, but I'm still getting "generic" motion notifications on my device (Android, but same issue occurs with other people sharing access, on iPhone).

I found another thread that mentioned a similar issue from 2019, and in that case, there was a service issue, but I just checked the status page and it seems like everything's working normally.

Anyone else have this problem, or have any ideas about what else I could try to troubleshoot?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kiryen wrote:

Anyone else have this problem, or have any ideas about what else I could try to troubleshoot?

If you are using "until motion stops" in the camera rules, try changing to a timed recording, and see if that makes any difference.  That info might help Arlo figure out what's going on.

Kiryen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same issue.

I'm trying with 30 second clips (usually the doorbell records clips that are about 12 seconds) to see if the longer recordings would help delay the notifications until whatever processing needs to be done, but it hasn't made a difference.

It's weird. We haven't made any changes to our hardware or software configurations, be it our doorbell, phones, or routers, and it just stopped working over the weekend.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I note that you have a Smart Premier account which is now considered legacy. I don't know that it will help for sure but you may want to cancel that sub and then choose one of the current plans that fits your needs.

Kiryen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmm, I haven't thought of that, thanks for the tip! I actually didn't know that Arlo Smart had been rebranded, and the last communication I received regarding it was "Improvements to your service plan benefits". I just looked at the Arlo Secure plans and it looks like Arlo Secure offer the same features as Arlo Smart Premier (it looks like it may just be the same plan as before, just renamed).

I reached out to Arlo support yesterday – just before your reply, as it turns out. I'm waiting on their reply, so I don't want to introduce any new variables. I'll update this thread when I hear back.