Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Smart Plan now 5 cameras instead of 10?????

Discussion stats
techit Initiate
Initiate

When did the plans change from 10 cameras to 5? This nearly doubles the annual cost with no notice to customers. I've invested in 10 cameras and two base stations. The whole reason was due to the affordable smart plans. There needs to be some sort of price protection. I'd buy a multi-year plan if discounted and with price protection.

Just call me alienated.

Model: VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
mhnatt Luminary
Luminary
No kidding! They keep shifting plans around and it’s now impossible to protect two properties. Used Arlo for going on 7 years now. I Used to have 26 cameras, then had 24, then they rolled out Smart with stingy plans that had only 10 cameras, and now leave users either being limited to now 5 cameras. Geeze! I’m getting sick of this.
Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
jbimmerle Guide
Guide

I recently purchased seven cameras (5 ultra and 2 pro 3). Is there a way to use the Smart Elite plan for the five ultra cameras and then add the Smart Premier plan for the two pro 3 cameras via single plans? If not then this seems very limiting for people with needs beyond 5 cameras as we'd be left setting up multiple accounts and granting access to different accounts. Seems like such a horrible user experience. This is seriously why people return stuff.

CaliArloUser Guide
Guide

Within the last two weeks I purchased nine more Pro2 Cameras and two more base stations to add to my existing five Pro2 cameras/base station system with the intent on upgrading to a total of twenty Pro2 cameras. Unfortunately because of work and  family commitments I didn't have the time to add all these new cameras/bases to my system and subscribe to a Smart Plan (would have been the Elite Plan for 20 camera coverage) until yesterday 12/13/19. With this new plan change it will now cost me more than 2x as much per month/year to have a Smart Plan to cover twenty Pro2 1080p cameras than those who upgraded to a Smart Plan before yesterday. I don't need 2K or 4K cloud video recording, I just want to have twenty Pro2 cameras on a smart plan but don't want to have to pay more than 2x as much as those who upgraded to a Smart Plan before 12/13/19 in order to do so when I purchased nine more Pro2 cameras and two more base stations within the last two weeks. There does not appear to be any kind of a grace period for those of us who were already existing users and owned multi camera Pro2 systems and who made another huge monetary investment in even more Pro2 cameras and base stations (nine and two in my case) within the two weeks prior to this Smart Plan pricing/supported camera change yesterday. I don't want to have to pay more than 2x a month/year now to only have the same 1080p cloud recording for twenty Pro2 cameras as those who purchased a Smart plan before 12/13/19. How is it fair and justified in any way after another huge monetary expense on Arlo hardware within the last to weeks to now have to pay more than 2x as much as others will pay for the exact same twenty camera 1080p cloud service, this seems completely unreasonable to me. I am shocked and feeling as though I will have no other choice but to return for refund everything I just purchased unless some sort of reasonable answer can be found. Since these plan changes took place with no warning whatsoever it would have been nice if Arlo would have granted some type of grace period to those of us who were already Arlo users and made very recent huge monetary investments in even more physical product to add to our existing systems. People like me who only need 1080p cloud recording and bought nine more Pro2 cams & two bases over the Thanksgiving holiday to add to our existing Pro2 systems but simply had not upgraded to a plan yet, because why do that until you're ready to add the cameras to the system.

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station, VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station, VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
Cwmmmm Luminary
Luminary
I’m livid, arlo should be ashamed that they did this! We don’t deserve this at all.
Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
icyy Initiate
Initiate

This is unbelievable!!!

We have 1 month to return all of our new Arlo purchases!

We  all should do so if this situation is not resolved!

tumo135 Initiate
Initiate

This is crazy.  I have 3 arlo pros waiting to be setup.  I already have 5.  This has to be resolved. 

ckong Initiate
Initiate

The change from 10 cameras to 5 cameras is disappointing.

I have 5 cameras.  I was planning to add an Arlo Door Bell camera with Smart Plan and maybe one more camera.  Due to Arlo/Netgear halving the number of cameras supported, I started to look at other solutions.  It's not that I won't go Arlo in the future, but I had looked at them with the previous 10 camera plan first.  Now I'm leaning towards Ring, with a look at Eufy cameras as an alternative. 

Arlo/Netgear had my customer loyalty and attention, but now...I find myself looking elsewhere where I wouldn't have before.

MichiganJR Initiate
Initiate

I currently have 10 cameras set up, with two sitting dormant.  I was about to purchase additional cameras to take me up to 20, and then upgrade the plan accordingly.  Fortunately, I checked the plan details before doing so.  I'm good on my current plan purchase by the year, but I guess they could force me to another plan when that year expires.

I'm about to start spending some quality time looking for alternatives.

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station, VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera
zincyellowcobra Luminary
Luminary

I AM LIVID. ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY LIVID. My Smart Elite subscription renews in 2 weeks. I have 23 Arlo cameras. Pro 2 cams and 6 Ultra cams. I subscribed to Smart Elite which covered 20 cameras and a second account to cover 3 additional. My cost was $225 annually. $149 for the Smart Elite plan covering up to 20 cameras with SIXTY days of cloud recording plus $76 for Premium 4K Video Recording on 4 of the Ultras.  Now, should I want the 4K plan it would cost me $720 annually.  THAT IS AN INCREASE OF 320% for less of a plan.  Only 30 days in cloud when I have 60 now. This cannot be for real? I have been a loyal Arlo customer since 2016. In fact, The first systems I purchased were Christmas gifts for my mother and sister in 2015. I Loved the cams so much that I purchased my own. I quickly added cameras to cover ever inch of the interior and exterior of my home. I friggin upgraded every time a new model cam rolled out. I replaced all of my “classic” wire free cams with Pro 2 cams later adding the Ultras. I have been a paid subscriber for years as I wanted the additional cloud storage. I do not skimp on anything when it comes to my Arlo system. I have purchased all of the Arlo accessories and have a crap load of additional batteries and multiple chargers to speed up the process. I have purchased Arlo solar panels, Arlo AC adapters, Arlo skins, Arlo lights. I didn’t just double down on my commitment to Arlo, I quadruple doubled down. It is highly offensive to think of all the $$$$$ I have invested in this company, their systems and plans, to now get blind sided by this next phase of bleeding their loyal customers of $$$$.  Let’s pretend I don’t want 4K recording and am ok to downgrade to the 2K plan, my annual cost is still $444 annually.  Nearly double the cost with 30 days cloud instead of 60 and only 2K recordings for my 4K capable cameras. 

ARLO - ARE YOU LISTENING? How does this make any sense? 

kwhiffin Guide
Guide

I'm with ya on all this.  This is complete BS.  If they don't resolve this I am returning all my ARLO hardware.  There's plenty of alternatives.  

JustAnElf2 Apprentice
Apprentice

I really wished I saw this thread about a week ago.  I already have 10 cameras that covers my two acre property.  I just purchased a new hub and a new Arlo Pro 3 camera in an effort to phase out some of the older cameras with newer models.  The cost of ownership is at the point where it's not cost effective to keep this system.  

Thyg0d Apprentice
Apprentice

This is absolute bull**bleep** Arlo!!!!

I just got 4 extra cameras and the subscription to cover my total of nine camera and and now you've raised the price AND I have to get TWO subscriptions?? Are you kidding me?? You've going to charge me more than double over night first of all without adding ANYTHING and add to that the fact it's not working?? 

I demand a reply from Arlo on this!!

kwhiffin Guide
Guide

Me, too! 

Arlo what is going on with your new plans?   These changes were not communicated to existing customers.    

SAM21 Apprentice
Apprentice
Having the same issues. Contacted Arlo support via web chat and they were unable to fix my problems. Suggested that I cancel my current plan and request a new plan subscription. I did not do that because it would put me under the new plan that only allows 5 cameras and not the 10 cameras plan that I am currently paying for that doesn’t end until May 2020. It appeared that Arlo support didn’t have a clue about the problems.
JustAnElf2 Apprentice
Apprentice

I noticed that Arlo announced a new service called Arlo Smart for Business at CES 2020.  The press release even included an email address for more information.  Naturally, I sent a note over to them thinking they would tell me more.  Surly many businesses would need more than 5 cameras.  Sadly, I have yet to receive a reply.

Personally, there has to be a better plan than just 5 cameras.  If you have a medium to large size home, I find it hard to believe you only need 5 cameras.

Model: VMC5040 | Arlo Ultra Add-On Camera
patencio Initiate
Initiate
Is this even legal? I purchased 6 in 2019 with no fees. Hence why I chose Arlo. No subscription fees. Now in order to connect my 6th camera I have to subscribe??????
JustAnElf2 Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Patencio,

This is a company and I suspect if we read the fine print on the screen that has the agree button, it will say they have the legal right to change the terms of the contract at any time.

From an engineering perspective, Arlo has some of the best technology in the business.  The specs on almost all their products typically beat their competition hands down. 

However, from a customer service perspective they have a lot of work to do.  Customers are always asking themselves, “What’s in it for me if i use your product?”  I happen to be a long-time customer and right now that answer for me seems to be a high cost to update the equipment, and a poor product communication’s channel.

A Smart subscription service is 100% customer service.  No one is actually buying anything.  When the subscription runs out, you have nothing in your possession to show for it.  Instead, the subscription represents an up-sell of features that Arlo thinks are worthy for their Elite customers. 

Like you I stumbled upon this new pricing plan by accident.  At the time I had purchased one of their newer cameras to see what it would take to migrate my cameras one at a time.  As an Elite customer I’m not impressed.  This time next year, their current plan will cut the features I have in half unless I pay almost double the price of what I am paying now.  To add salt to the wound, the current plan won’t allow me to remove the new camera from the subscription package.  Alro is forcing me to keep the new camera in the subscription package. 

The irony to it all is that the cost of the renewal equals to or exceeds the startup cost of switching to a different vendor.  I’m now seriously looking at other products and using their renewal deadline as the timeline to make the switch.

BonSP Guide
Guide
I have a gut feeling that we all just bought obsolete equipment. It seems with the new plans, less cameras and now higher costs, arlo has been losing money with the previous plans. This is their way to try and recoup some of the loses and if no one else buys into the system well to bad so sad they will no longer support us.

Like someone has mentioned it will be better from a cost perspective to just toss the system into the garbage and go another route.

At this point arlo has our money already and with these new plans they show that they don’t really care anymore.
dmatt56 Star
Star
Well said!!!! I feel the same way!
egjergji Initiate
Initiate

I had 5, and recently added the doorbell camera.  I was going to add maybe another 1 or 2 cameras under the 10 camera plan, but now all that's changed.  I saw they have a "business" plan for $12/mo, but it's not about the money.  It's about having a customer's trust.  I can't seriously consider investing in anymore of their products if they bait and switch the plans like this.  

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
dmatt56 Star
Star
That’s exactly how I feel. I think it was a huge mistake to change from 10 to 5 when arlo had a large existing customer base. As a consumer, I hate nothing more than knowing the guy next to me is paying half what I’m paying for the same service - especially as a long time customer.

More importantly, previously free features have now been turned off with the prompt to buy a smart plan.

Matt
Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Jack-Malin Star
Star

Same here. Also it looks that it is not possible to add a "like" on messages on this thread 😞

Jack-Malin Star
Star

Very disappointing. Also I did not get any notice when the free plan terminated, so I accidentally lost many days of recording.

Embassed by the change?

Guru StephenB Guru
Guru

@Jack-Malin wrote:

Also I did not get any notice when the free plan terminated, so I accidentally lost many days of recording.

The free plans didn't change - do you mean you didn't get notice when the trial subscription ended?