Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good day folks.  It almost feels a little pointless to add on to the multitude of current issues being expressed in the Community lately, as reading through the posts gives me vertigo, but I sincerely hope the Arlo development team can get on track.  It feels like we're almost at the point of no return with this system and that 95% of it is related to the app rather than the cameras, which is a complete shame and waste of money on such a pricey setup.

Anyway, I am either having issues with my "Smart" functions, or I am misunderstanding how they are supposed to work.  If someone can help shed light on what I'm experiencing, or have troubleshooting suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  I have not been able to find similar problems searching the forum, and I am frustrated that I've paid for this "Arlo Smart Premiere" plan (only because I got a 6th camera), and the majority of what would potentially make it nice is not functioning to my expectations. 

First Problem:
Smart Person Detection:  A month or so ago, I was getting multiple alerts, alerts for both motion and people, or no alerts at all.  That seems to have been resolved.  However, the problem now is that when I receive a person alert on my phone (Galaxy S9), it is no longer showing the screen shot of the activity when I drop down the alert menu.  It just gives me the option to call e911 or sound the alarm.  The screen shot is one of the key components to making smart alerts useful, as it alleviates having to open the phone and the app and wait for things to load up just to see who the person is.  I have only noticed this since the 10/20 and 10/23 app updates that we all love so much.  Now, further to that, once I DO open the app, and click on the camera, I "sometimes" get ANOTHER alert, and then it DOES show the screen shot.  Scratching my head here.  Anyone else experiencing this or know some magical thing I need to do with my phone to fix the problem (such as the "multiple alert" fix)?

Second Problem:
Activity Zones: One of my outdoor cameras (Arlo Pro) has an activity zone set up.  The zone itself seems to be working as intended.  The problem I'm having is that this camera is part of a rule where once it is triggered, two other cameras are set to record for 2 minutes. Note that these two cameras are not set to record via any other rules and they are not set to record motion from their own sensors.  What I've noticed is that every once in a while my library will have 2 minute recordings for both of these cameras, but the outdoor camera which is supposed to trigger them does not have any recording in the library, and there was never any motion detection notification for it.  What I am suspecting is that something OUTSIDE of that camera's zone detected motion, so I was not alerted, but the general motion detection is still making my other two cameras record for 2 minutes. It's a complete waste of recording time. In my opinion, the other two cameras should only record if motion is detected IN the zone, not just in the camera's overall line of site.  Any similar experiences from anyone?  Any solutions?  

And just a general question - Why aren't the smart detection features integrated with the modes/rules?  For example:  "if PERSON is detected, then..."  "if OTHER OBJECT/MOTION is detected, then..."  etc.  I believe the fact that the rules are still based on general motion detection is why I'm having my aforementioned second problem.  The rules don't understand zones, or people, or objects, so those criteria can't define what actions the system needs to take when a camera is triggered.

Thanks in advance for reading and also for any insight you may have!

18 REPLIES 18
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Nope!

-Robert
Edward77
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 3 camera pro system (purchased Sept 2018) and recently added the $2.99 Arlo smart for a single camera.   I am able to create a detection zone, however,  I do not receive any visual "rich" notifications on my Android phone.   I still just receive the audio push notification only.  I need to open the app to check the acquired video.  I contacted phone support and they had me try resetting base station,  resynching camera and cancelling and reinstalling the Arlo Smart for single camera.  None of this worked.  At this point the Arlo phone support tech gave up and suggested I try an Iphone instead of Android or go onto the support forum for some ideas.    Anyone else experiencing these same symptoms?     Thanks

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same issue here on my Galaxy S9!  I was receiving them properly before they rolled out the recent app updates, but now I'm only getting the notification and ability to sound the siren or call E911.  The other thing I've noticed is that occasionally, after I go into the app and click around and view some videos, I'll receive ANOTHER notification, and then the video screen capture/s will appear.  It's random though... and frustrating.

Anyone???

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've attached an example of my "rich" notifications. I opened the phone and the app right after receiving these, got another notification, and then the images showed up as well.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

dhiller0217,

Are you using the activity zones as well when not receiving the rich notifications (person view)?

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice
There are no zones set for either of the cameras in the example I provided. I do have a zone set on another camera though.
Yangchi
Guide
Guide

I'm having very similar issues, and just got off of 2 very frustrating calls with tech support that simply want to send people to my home and charge me $99 bucks (supposedly after $50 off) to fix their problem.  I hate saying this, but I really had hard time understanding them, and I highly doubt they understood me (call center far far away reading manuals).

I'm at a point of returning this, since the $99 annual subscription is making this worst, and I don't see a way to get this resolved.  No intelligent person to talk to, and all tickets don't get really answered meaninfully or resolved...

I actually miss the simplicity of my old Arlo Pro before Smarts and subscription...   they just did something simple - now they are no longer reliable.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Stop Googling for support! Arlo simply does not charge!!

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here and again on the new page. The 3rd page has options including a real phoine number, not a scammer's.

Yangchi
Guide
Guide

Jgerdat -  I got a note saying the same - but what's REALLY concerning and coincidental...

Later on that evening, after I got off the frustrating call...  something got "reset" on my account.

My schedule was messed up, and the mode I was running was deleted, such that my system was set to Disarmed...    I didn't realize this until when I was going to bed that there were NO recordings whatsoever...

Could someone be messing my system by simply knowing my phone number and email address / account?  Very disturbing.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, not without other things such as remote access to your device. Change you password if concerned.

Yangchi
Guide
Guide

I wouldn't think so - which is even more disturbing even if it's conincidence...  why would a mode get deleted and schedule changed "randomly"???    Sigh Arlo....   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use a browser rather than the app.

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agreed.  Use a browser to set up your modes and shedules.

Yangchi, there have been issues with schedules crashing for a while now.  I had the same thing you're describing happen to me a couple months ago.  I had created two custom modes and a new schedule which utilized them, and then the schedule went haywire and both modes disappeared.  Then entering the schedule on my Galaxy S9 would crash the entire app.  I am 99.99% certain this is a software issue (yet another) rather than a hacking issue. The phone app and browser version do not always communicate nicely with each other.  

Here is what has worked for me when creating a schedule:
1.) As mentioned, use a browser on a computer at arlo.netgear.com

2.) IMPORTANT:  When you create your schedule, do not "overlay" modes.

Example: If you have "mode 1" set for Monday from 8am to 5pm, don't overlay "mode 2" to then come on at Monday from 12pm to 3pm, because it will not split it up properly in my experiences, and it may give you some issues.

The above would need to be done in sequence as follows:
Monday, Mode 1 from 8am to 11:59am. 
Monday, Mode 2 from 12pm to 3pm.  
Monday, Mode 1 from 3:01pm to 5pm

If you're not already managing your shedule this way, give it a shot.  As I mentioned, I haven't had a single issue with my schedule since utilizing this methodology.  

Yangchi
Guide
Guide

I did create my schedules on my App, not Browser - will re-do it on my browser just in case...  since this has happened at least 3 times

Yangchi
Guide
Guide

I'll try this on my browser, I did use my App to create, so perhaps this is a app vs. browser issue.  

Also, I do overlap, except I'm always curious.. no matter what, there is always going to be that 1 minute I wonder what the system is doing.  say from 11:59 to 12:00, where it's in between 2 modes...  what happens??  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

11:50PM is the whole minute. It doesn't turn off for that minute.

dhiller0217
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Yangchi wrote:

I'll try this on my browser, I did use my App to create, so perhaps this is a app vs. browser issue.  

Also, I do overlap, except I'm always curious.. no matter what, there is always going to be that 1 minute I wonder what the system is doing.  say from 11:59 to 12:00, where it's in between 2 modes...  what happens??  

11:59 doesn't mean 11:59:00, it means 11:59:59, so you don't lose a minute.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for the clarification. Your reply makes more snese than mine. 11:50PM indeed.