Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Price increase is ridiculous!

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 35 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Ron2020
Initiate
Initiate

I have (2) Arlo 2k wireless cameras.

Under my current Smart Premier plan I had paid $ 5.98/Mo.

I was very happy with both the cameras and cloud software.

Now, suddenly they are charging me $ 9.98/mo. Almost double!  While providing no increase in value of cloud services that I use.

There is no justification for increasing prices of my old plan when no new features have been added to my current plan with storage cost constantly deceasing as they are !

This is nothing but a “money grab” tactic and a way of forcing existing Arlo 2K camera users to adopt a more expensive plan with features they could care less about!

I will be dumping my Arlo system just a soon as I find another vendor.

16 REPLIES 16
GSAS
Initiate
Initiate

I think the price increase is ridiculous. It already was to much. I will definitely be buying a different product that doesn't charge monthly fees or has a more reasonable pricing policy. Very dissapointed  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @GSAS 

It’s Arlo’s mission to provide customers with the best possible value and experience. Customers have enjoyed the same pricing on subscription plans since 2014. In order for Arlo to continue driving innovation and offering new security features and enhancements like package detection, Emergency Response service, support for unlimited cameras, smoke/CO detection, and more, some customers will experience a minimal price change to Arlo Secure subscriptions.  Starting at $4.99/month for a single camera, the new pricing will go into effect on February 3, 2023. For customers in the US and Canada, you can keep your current monthly unlimited plan price by enrolling in an annual subscription plan. Users can view updated plan pricing and benefits at arlo.com.

You can find more info here: https://kb.arlo.com/000063015/Arlo-Secure-Plan-Pricing-Update-February-2-2023

Ron2020
Initiate
Initiate

I looked at that “new plan” that they said was equivalent to my current plan, but it’s only for 1 camera, I have 2.

Dunnage2010
Initiate
Initiate

Price increase is only half the issue with Arlo.  Not only does this price increase make Arlo one of the most expensive systems, there are two other issues that I wish I had known before investing in one of their cameras.  First, their plans are minimum 40% more expensive in Canada.  I can accept a currency exchange difference, but the cost difference captures this and more suggesting Arlo is simply taking advantage of the CDN consumer, something I find offensive.  Second, when buying Arlo products they "claim" that you can opt out of their services at anytime, suggesting you simply forego access to recordings and some other features.  Truth is, they have engineered the product to perform "significantly" inferior if you are not subscribing, with notifications pinging your device every 30 seconds to basically force you to re-subscribe.  Had I known that not subscribing "really" is not an option AND that Arlo takes advantage of up charging Canadians beyond the already inflated subscription prices, I would not have bought an Arolo divice.

Hardhitsweboi
Tutor
Tutor

I totally agree. 

they change plans all the time. Price may not have gone up but the value is eroded and now prices goes up with no added value.

Years of promises of improvements but the app and service is still awful. Still no way to export CVR footage. Still no HomeKit integration for the video doorbell which was promised months ago.

Still no way to remove invited family members old devices.

Asking us to fund their future development with higher fees is an insult. They have not showed any ability or willingness to improve for years.

I’d rather cut my losses and get a new system that supports HomeKit secure video and go from there. 

Arlo should be ashamed of themselves. 

Hardhitsweboi
Tutor
Tutor

And saying that prices has not increased since 2014 is an outright lie. 

Price increase.

If you reduce the number of cameras on a plan but keep the same price then there’s an effective price increase. 

Stan77
Initiate
Initiate

I find it very unfair because you have not informed your customers.
Tomorrow you could raise your customers' rates again to €20 or €50 a month without give us any chance.

I wanted to buy other cameras but I will change supplier.

ChristoKiwi
Initiate
Initiate

I just can’t imagine how they thought that such a huge bump was going to be okay with customers who have invested in these cameras.

This is going to ensure they lose sales and lose money over time rather than dragging more revenue out of us.

mind-boogling.

dmeyer5225
Initiate
Initiate

Agree. I hope they lose a lot of customers. I will buy a different system then have a forced plan change, to increase customer cost. 

rmcz1967
Initiate
Initiate

Same situation here, for years have loved the camera's performance; yes, some utilities were missing, but the initial price from $0.99 years ago made it bearable. then went to $2.99, still I feel it is ok; then $4.99, and now $9.99. Nope dear Arlo, your CEO won't get my money. These cameras are being disconnected and dumped... is a matter of principle. 

Hardware is amazing but the greed of the services is just outrageous!!

Good luck surviving.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmcz1967 wrote:

but the initial price from $0.99 years ago made it bearable. then went to $2.99, still I feel it is ok; then $4.99, and now $9.99.

The multi-camera is $9.99/month in the US when paid annually.  That covers unlimited cameras in one location. But multi-camera subscriptions were never $0.99-$4.99.

The single camera subscription is currently $3.99/month when paid annually, $4.99 monthly (again in the US).

So I am thinking you might be looking at the wrong subscription???

Foques
Aspirant
Aspirant

wait wait wait.. where do I find that 9.99?

all I see is 14.99 monthly..

I will say that had I done a better research, I wouldn't have ended up with arlo. the cost of the system+ monthly is stupid high. Sadly, i've already invested into hardware, so will replace it with a different system as it dies out. 😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Foques wrote:

wait wait wait.. where do I find that 9.99?

https://kb.arlo.com/000063083/What-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-cloud-recording-options-are-available

arlo pricing.png

You do need to select the annual option when you subscribe (sometimes hard to spot on the subscription page).

Note there is a downside to annual - Arlo doesn't provide a rebate if you cancel.  Just something to keep in mind.

hydrated
Initiate
Initiate

Any suggestions for another platform. Does any exist without monthly (or super low) subscriptions? $2.99 was most I’d pay for a camera I never look at

GazClo22
Aspirant
Aspirant

The service provided was already not good enough with poor quality streaming from cloud to iPhone on good network signal I have unsubscribed already 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @GazClo22 

Thank you for the feedback. Please let me know if you need any assistance and I will do my best to assist you.