Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot disable animated previews, no thumbnail for all other motion - Android app

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Last update broke Arlo Smart - I always have animated preview disabled for Arlo Smart, and now I get them whether I like it or not.

Also, I've always had all other motion checked off, and used to get a thumbnail for other motion, but now I don't which is truly annoying because Arlo Smart can't discern anything half the time.  It thinks cactus are people, and rocks are animals, and vehicles or people passing by are other motion.  So now when I get a notification for other motion, I have open the app or web portal in order to figure out what this other motion was for which Arlo Smart decided not to provide a thumbnail.  One of these was a trespasser on my property...

I'm going back to an earlier version of the app... wish Arlo would stop fixing things that aren't broken...

5 REPLIES 5
secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

BTW - for the curious, the deficiency is on Arlo's end, not the app.  I rolled back to Android version 3.6.1_288445 released 03/2022 which I knew to have worked correctly, but the behavior persists...

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Ok - there must be a lag in updating info on the mobile applications side at Arlo when you uninstall and install - it's been over an hour now and with version  3.6.1_288445, notifications are now DEVOID of animated previews, just as I have always had my preferences set.

Have not yet had any "other motion" notifications, so will see if I get a thumbnail for those now, too... will report back.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Whelp - then suddenly, inexplicably, the animated previews started up again...

Never surprised by Arlo and its aggravating deficiencies and quirks... used to work so well a long time ago, then it became a POS, unfortunately... and so has remained...

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Still an issue - varied results, not consistent.  Some times get thumbnail with trigger item in green box, then shortly there after another notification with the animated preview.  Sometimes thumbnail with trigger item in green box, wait a second then it transmutes into animated preview.

It's really annoying, I have bad eyesight and its hard enough to discern what the trigger item is in the green box without it transmuting to animated preview and moving the trigger, when it does an animated preview, I really can't tell who or what I'm looking at...

And it doesn't matter what version of apk I use, results are always the same...

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

For the curious, I removed all cameras from Arlo Smart for several days, cold started all base stations, also uninstalled and reinstalled the Arlo Android app.  

After several days I added some cameras back to Arlo Smart, disabled animated previews, and all still exhibit the same behavior.  Still get animated previews.

Nice having features thrust upon me whether I want them or not...