Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 24 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

Why do I need a subscription when my trial period didn't even end?

I haven't even had my bundle more than a 2 weeks and I"m still trying to figure this system out. The 2 solar don't charge or keep the cameras charged anymore than the ones without. I live sunny Vegas so go figure... and yes the are both facing full sun. The battery life drained on ALL these cameras in about 8 days. I'm not happy. If I wouldn't have thrown out the boxes, I would return to Sams. Who has time to keep climbing up on a ladder to change 8 cameras so often. Very disappointing. At first they were great. The spotlight/ motion detectors would come on and then stopped after I took them down to charge. I am so mad that I bought these. #arloessentialspotlight

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Patriotgirl88 wrote:

So why was it in the 1st 8 days something would trigger the cameras... the red light and the floodlight motion or whatever you call it would come on 

That happened because you had the trial subscription, so it was recording.

If you still do have a subscription in place, then it is possible that you accidentally disarmed the cameras (so they wouldn't record).

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a lot of carriage returns...

As long as the trial sub is in effect you don't need a paid one. Have you checked to see what's going on in Settings, Subscription?

It would seem that the solar panels aren't making contact with the camera/battery. Since you had to install batteries in the cameras, perhaps you haven't fully inserted the camera into the housing. You should hear a click when fully inserted - you may need to place your thumbs on the edges of the camera face and wrap your hands around the case to get this to happen. If the case isn't fully closed, the electrical contacts won't be made.

ALso, 8 days worth of battery life means it's likely recording too much or the signal to the cameras is weak or has interference. How many total minutes of recording do you see for each camera in the cloud recordings? <5 minutes per day is needed for best battery life. Many folks position the cameras to view too much - you don't need the sky and street to be in view, especially since people detection is only ~25 feet. Rotate the cameras down and perhaps edit your modes and rules to reduce motion sensitivity while still getting the needed detections - testing is needed. If some of the videos indicate audio detection, consider reducing that sensitivity, too, while you're in the rules and maybe even disabling that function.

Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

I never installed batteries. I had to take each camera down and charge them. That's why I said I this is a hassle for me. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Patriotgirl88 wrote:

I had to take each camera down and charge them. That's why I said I this is a hassle for me. 

What camera models do you own?  Also, what solar panel models do you own?

There are four possibilities here:

1. There was a recent firmware issue related to solar panel charging for some models.  Arlo has fixed that, so it should be resolved now.
  2. The connector might not be solidly connected to the cameras.  If you tell us what the app is seeing for the power status, that would be helpful.
  3. The panels might be incompatible (or possibly defective).
  4. If you are getting a lot of motion detection, then it is possible that the panels can't keep up with the power use.  It'd be helpful to know about how many seconds of streaming are happening per day.  If you use activity zones, disable them before estimating this.

Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

Hi, 

I have 2 sets -

Arlo Essential Spotlight Camera + Solar Panel (4 Cameras + 1 Solar Panel.

They were working amazing. Then the ones that face the street that get where they get the most activity died first.  I took them down 2 at a time to charge.  Then after I had recharged them   the flood lights/motion sensor no longer work. I have exhausted all my settings but I can't see anything else more I can could change. I bought them on on 1/9. So apparently I'm confused about everything.  I have spent countless moments trying to figure this out. I don't have them set up for activity zones. I don't know answer your streaming question. It used to record or show numbers in the top righthand corner, but only a live when I click on it. And it's been this way for a few weeks. Thank you for your help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Patriotgirl88 wrote:

I don't know answer your streaming question.

Just look at the recordings for the camera, and add up the seconds for a typical day.

Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

Ok, so I looked at them. They are essentially 12 sec. each. What I need to know is why the motion/sensor light don't come on anymore when something triggers them...since after I started having to take the cameras down to charge after only having them 8days? I'm thinking that could've been what was draining the battery because now they are not dying. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Patriotgirl88 wrote:

Ok, so I looked at them. They are essentially 12 sec. each.

Any how many per day???  The goal is to understand the power use.

Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

Upon observation, it has only stored the last data from 1/31 and 2/1.  Nothing is current. It says 0 in the top righthand corner for each camera. If the wind blew, it detects a parked vehicle and recorded it.  Looks like these need to be returned. Pointless. I I have a ring camera that is more efficient. These were a great deterrent the 1st week with the motion light and that red sensor light when activated. But even though each one is activated they fail to work. 

Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

They seem to only work if I want to view something live. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Patriotgirl88 wrote:

They seem to only work if I want to view something live. 

Are they in a subscription plan (perhaps trial)?

Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

That's why I'm confused. I bought if you saw any of my previous Threads I posted that I bought them on January 9th less than 10 days or 8 days I started having problems with them I thought I had a 30 day free trial and now I guess I am way out of it.  When I started reaching out for help Trying to figure out what is going on if I need a subscription or not just to get the motion sensors lights to come on? it's too confusing I can't get a straight answer

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Patriotgirl88 wrote:

if I need a subscription or not just to get the motion sensors lights to come on?

There is the Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor, which does not need any illumination to sense motion.

Then there are the infrared LEDs, which act as IR spotlights for NightVision recording.  Those come on at night when the system decides it wants to use NightVision.  That might be because the system is recording, and it might be because you are livestreaming at night with no spotlight.  These LEDs look dark red to our eyes (not very bright).

Note that NightVision uses a different part of the IR spectrum than the PIR sensor uses.

Then there is the spotlight, which can also be triggered when recording in low light (or turned on manually when livestreaming).

If you approach a camera with no subscription at night, the PIR sensor should trigger, and you should get an alert on your phone.  However, you won't see any lights at all on the camera, because it is neither recording nor livestreaming.

Many folks want the spotlight to come even if there is no recording being done, either to provide illumination in a dark area and/or to act as a deterrent.  However, Arlo currently has no settings which do that.

Hope this helps.

Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

So why was it in the 1st 8 days something would trigger the cameras... the red light and the floodlight motion or whatever you call it would come on and now they don't. It was a great deterrent. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Patriotgirl88 wrote:

So why was it in the 1st 8 days something would trigger the cameras... the red light and the floodlight motion or whatever you call it would come on 

That happened because you had the trial subscription, so it was recording.

If you still do have a subscription in place, then it is possible that you accidentally disarmed the cameras (so they wouldn't record).

Patriotgirl88
Star
Star

Yep, would you believe it was as simple as that. I had it on the wrong setting. It needed to be on "arm away". I had it backwards. Lol. And my Subscription ends April 13. So I'm good and then For 13 bucks a month I can subscribe.