Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Smart Storage Plan. Why do plans use time instead of storage parameter?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Anonemouse70
Tutor
Tutor

Just looking at the pricing of an Arlo Smart plan and comparing with other options. Why do the plans use time as the storage parameter e.g 30 days or 60 days rather than space used. If you had the option of a storage based plan and removed the camera limit then maybe the pricing would be more reasonable. You could set an auto overwrite option, so for high traffic installs the time things were kept would be shorter or select certain clips to keep until you decide when to remove them.

It is possible to gat a single camera unlimited number of days storage with another provider for £0.79 per month. If you want up to 5 cameras you have to pay £2.49 a month. Compare that to the Arlo options of 30 days storage for 1 camera at £2.79 a month or unlimited cameras for £8.99

How about a Storage Smart plan that had the following options:

Up to 5 cameras

Limited storage space (50GB) but unlimited time

Under £3 per month

Keep clip option

Auto overwrite option to recycle space

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Anonemouse70 wrote:

Just looking at the pricing of an Arlo Smart plan

The current subscription plans are Arlo Secure/Secure Plus - not Smart.  Secure and Secure Plus both offer unlimited cameras in their multicamera license.  Both subscriptions include more than just cloud storage, so you'd need to factor in all the features if you want to compare features/pricing with their competition.

@Anonemouse70 wrote:

Why do the plans use time as the storage parameter e.g 30 days or 60 days rather than space used.

If I ever need recordings for evidence, I'd want a clear retention limit (so I'd know how long I'd have to download them).   GB of storage wouldn't provide that.  So personally I favor the current approach.

Anonemouse70
Tutor
Tutor

I can see what you are saying but the options seem to be all or nothing and do not take account of people who might have other infrastructure that could handle some of the tasks the higher end features take care of.

For the storage there would be no retention limit if you had a keep option for certain clips you would just reduce the storage available for new clips. If you want to free up the space then you would download.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Anonemouse70 wrote:

but the options seem to be all or nothing

Yes, Arlo doesn't use an "à la carte" approach for subscription features.