Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification by Nov 30th, 2020 to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Arlo Smart Object Detection - Siren Still Triggered

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

I have a mode setup on my Arlo system that will trigger the siren on the base stations whenever the cameras detect motion. This feature works fine, but the problem is we don't want it setting off the siren when it detects animals. So, when I discovered the Smart plan and the Object Detection feature I assumed this would solve my problem, as I could just disable notifications for animal detection so that it would not send me a notification or trigger the alarm. However, it wasn't until I signed-up and paid for the Smart plan that I discovered that the Object Detection feature still sets off the siren regardless of motion. I honestly cant believe that this is not part of the Object Detection abilities. Why would anyone want to stop getting notifications on their phone from animal detection, but still want a loud siren going off? As expensive as the Arlo system is, on top of paying a monthly fee for these types of additional services, I just cant believe how this isn't part of the Object Detection features. With that being said, does anyone have any advice or information on this issue being fixed for a feature that would otherwise be great? I have already submitted a case to Arlo support, but am not expecting much back from them in terms of a proper response. 

Model: VMB4000 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station, VMC4030 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free Camera , VMC4030P | Arlo Pro 2 Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem and it is very difficult for me to understand why this misconduct was not noticed and corrected in the course of the development of Arlo Pro 3 and in the process of tests and quality assurance. 

I raised a support ticket and currently I am waiting for a solution. Arlo Pro 3 makes no sense for me with this maloperation. 

If the firmware will not be corrected, I will send the camera back and not generally go from Arlo Pro 2 cameras to Arlo Pro 3 cameras as originally planned.

Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

@FrankNase12 wrote:

I have exactly the same problem and it is very difficult for me to understand why this misconduct was not noticed and corrected in the course of the development of Arlo Pro 3 and in the process of tests and quality assurance. 

I raised a support ticket and currently I am waiting for a solution. Arlo Pro 3 makes no sense for me with this maloperation. 

If the firmware will not be corrected, I will send the camera back and not generally go from Arlo Pro 2 cameras to Arlo Pro 3 cameras as originally planned.

Well, nobody from Arlo has even responded to my ticket I submitted almost two weeks ago. So I wouldn't expect them to reply to you either. However, I have found a work-around solution that corrects the issue and allows for the siren to only be triggered by specific detection. It does require a little bit of setup to get working, but so far has been a solid fix.

The fix involves using a free service provided by iFTTT.com, which stands for "If This, Then That" and is basically a service that allows for various routines to be setup amongst different smart devices, including the Arlo camera system. You can setup all sorts of different types of routines and functions across all of your smart devices to be executed based on criteria that you setup. For example, you could have smart lights turn on in your house if any of the Arlo cameras were to detect motion.

What I was able to do was setup iFTTT to trigger the Arlo siren based on an email Notification that would only contain the words I specified like "Arlo" "person detected" and "vehicle detected" - here's how it works...

• I first change whatever Arlo mode I want within the Arlo app to be setup to send me an Email notification whenever a camera detects motion.
  • I setup my personal email to forward/redirect any email it receives that contain the words "Arlo" and "Person" or "Vehicle" to be sent to the iFTTT service.
  • I then setup my iFTTT account with a new task with the instructions to set off the Arlo alarm whenever it receives an email message from my personal email address.

So far this setup has been work perfect. The only small issue is that there is a longer delay from when the cameras detect motion until when the alarm goes off, somewhere around 30 seconds, but at least it works. In addition, you do still have to pay for the Arlo Smart service and enable the detection of whatever specific object you want or don't want.

If you have any questions about this or need further assistance just let me know. I hope others encountering the same problem discover this message.

Highlighted
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Siren feature utilizes the cameras PIR sensor to detect & immedietley  trigger the siren. The features does not send the footage to the arlo servers for object determination allowing for the siren to be utilized immediately. This  may help with an unwanted objects/intruder being deterred immediately. 

Please contact the Support Team if you have further questions. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shayne, 

with all respect: This is a SERIOUS BUG, not a feature. 

Who wants a sirene alarm in the night when it heavily rains oder an insect crosses a "smart" camera when looking for unauthorized persons?

That must be fixed, otherwise Arlo Pro 3 is not usable and worthless.

If this will not be fixed, I will return the camera(s) and will write a preview that prevent others  to fall into this trap.

Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

@ShayneS wrote:

The Siren feature utilizes the cameras PIR sensor to detect & immedietley  trigger the siren. The features does not send the footage to the arlo servers for object determination allowing for the siren to be utilized immediately. This  may help with an unwanted objects/intruder being deterred immediately. 

Please contact the Support Team if you have further questions. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Your attempt at trying to explain why the issue with the siren is instead an intended "feature" is very sad, and honestly you should delete your post.

The PIR sensor in the camera is what detects motion for all functionality of the system, whether it's to send a push notification, an email, or trigger the siren. You explaining how the PIR sensor triggers the siren directly is the problem at hand. If the system can't be modified to trigger the siren based on object analyzed notifications instead of immediate motion detection from the camera, then just say that and admit it is a flaw. Instead you seem to be trying to prove to us why the issue really isn't an issue, and it's not working.

Also, to try and explain that the reason the siren goes off regardless is so that it will be triggered "immediately" is also lame. When a camera of mine detects motion, I get a push notification (including with object detection) almost immediately. So to try and argue that this is intended use in order to have the siren go off a couple seconds sooner is once again sad. Even if some people wanted the siren to go off immediately regardless of the object, instead of seconds later but only for certain objects, then make it an option in the app for the user.

If you guys at Arlo really thought a paid feature to avoid annoying notifications for unwanted object detection was a good idea, but thought a loud siren going off regardless was still ok, then you guys need help. Especially if you are then going to try and argue your point by just using bad information and poor explanations. Either tell us the system is in fact flawed, or show us that you're working on the problem. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation