Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 camera. I have turned animal detection alerts off but get continuous animal alerts

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Rabickjj
Tutor
Tutor

I have 4 Arlo pro4 cameras.  I have disabled animal detection on all of them but one gives me continuous animal alerts and depletes my battery.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rabickjj wrote:

I have 4 Arlo pro4 cameras.  I have disabled animal detection on all of them but one gives me continuous animal alerts and depletes my battery.

Turning off animal detection should eliminate the alerts, but it won't stop the recordings.  So you can't improve battery life by changing the smart notifications.

1. Are you seeing the notifications, or just the recordings?
  2. Is there something moving in those recordings?
  3. If you swap the problem camera with one of the others, does the problem stay with the camera?  Or does it move with the battery?
Bagabond
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Rabickjj

Sorry to hear your about your troubles.  Unfortunately this pretty much equates with my experience of arlo smart.

I will grant that Arlo smart does seem to reliably detect people, however false notifications caused by animals and insects are an ongoing problem.

My opinion is based upon having used a wide range of arlo product over many years. 

Until arlo manages to implement smart detection which matches the rhetoric you may be better off with another product.

Cheers

Rabickjj
Tutor
Tutor

Apparently Arlo has not reached a level of technology to match the hype they publish.  I have four Pro4 cameras and they all send notifications of activity as well as alerts especially when the wind is blowing which happens quite often in my area.  I can turn off alerts for 24 hours but still get hundreds of videos on windy days from movement of the shrubs.  Arlo tech support is of little help in my situation.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rabickjj wrote:

they all send notifications of activity as well as alerts especially when the wind is blowing which happens quite often in my area.

Have you tried disabling notifications for "all other motion"?

@Rabickjj wrote:

I can turn off alerts for 24 hours but still get hundreds of videos on windy days from movement of the shrubs. 

While you can filter notifications, the cameras will still record.

You can try lowering the motion detection setting for the camera(s) generating all the recordings.  Use the motion detection test while walking in the field of view to find lowest setting that reliably triggers on your motion.

If the extraneous motion is at the bottom of the field of view, you could also try inverting the camera (and applying the rotate setting in the app to keep the image right-way up).  The camera is more sensitive to motion at the bottom, so inverting can help when unwanted motion is at the bottom.

Activity zones can also reduce the number of recordings (but unfortunately won't help the battery life).

Rabickjj
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for all the feedback.  I appreciate the support.

I have reduced motion detection to the lowest level acceptable, turned off notification for 24 hours each day, deleted videos after a windy day (took a while to find this feature).  I was not aware of the ability to invert  a  camera.  I might give that a try.  I don’t find the Arlo App very user friendly.  I am not a tech nerd and at 82 years old I am getting tired of dealing with the issues.   I can deal with the present situation but can’t say I like it.

Thanks again,

‘Joe