Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Shrick
Apprentice
Apprentice

So, I'm having an issue with one of my cameras that constantly notifies me of motion OUTSIDE my setup activity zones. My most important question...

(1) Are activity zones evaulated on the camera itself, or, evaluated in the cloud?

This is a VERY important question, because should you have a camera with a tree in the view, thats EXCLUDED in activity zones, the camera might still constantly detect motion via the PIR sensor and still do lots of processing which will eat battery, but you will not be notified?

Am I understanding this correctly? Thus, acticity zones ONLY come into play when the PIR sensor detects motion, even if this motion is OUTSIDE the activity zones setup?

Thus, if you want your camera to waiste the least possible battery, you still have to make sure that you don't have objects close by that will trigger the PIR, because this set off the process of evaluation etc etc which will eat battery life.

Please confirm if my thoughts are correct.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shrick wrote:

(1) Are activity zones evaulated on the camera itself, or, evaluated in the cloud?

If the camera is AC powered, then some models (starting with Pro-2) will process locally (and don't require a smart subscription).

But if the camera is battery-powered, then you are using what Arlo calls "cloud activity zones".  Those do need a smart subscription.  Evaluation is done in the cloud - and any motion that triggers the PIR will result cause the camera to stream video to the cloud (even though that video won't be stored if the motion is outside the zone).  So it can reduce notifications, but it won't help battery life. 

They have a kb article on that point here: https://kb.arlo.com/000056589/How-do-I-set-up-the-Arlo-Smart-cloud-activity-zones

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shrick wrote:

If the camera is AC powered, then some models (starting with Pro-2) will process locally (and don't require a smart subscription).

But if the camera is battery-powered, then you are using what Arlo calls "cloud activity zones".  Those do need a smart subscription.  Evaluation is done in the cloud - and any motion that triggers the PIR will result cause the camera to stream video to the cloud (even though that video won't be stored if the motion is outside the zone).  So it can reduce notifications, but it won't help battery life. 

They have a kb article on that point here: https://kb.arlo.com/000056589/How-do-I-set-up-the-Arlo-Smart-cloud-activity-zones

Shrick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Great, thanks for clarifying