Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Security Light Loses Power With AC Adapter

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

One of my security lights has been on AC power since installation 8 months ago and has always maintained 100% power up until two weeks ago when I noticed the power was showing at 64%. 

I have swapped chargers (3) and batteries (3) with other security lights and thought the issue was solved when the light charged back to 100% but then I noticed that it again starts losing about 2% a day and will not charge the battery unless I unplug and re-plug the AC power, then it charges back to 100% but again it starts losing 2% per day and will not charge back to 100% until I unplug and re-plug it.

What's interesting is that, on the web portal, the little battery icon that has the little lightning bolt through it shows solid green (which is what it shows indicating it's fully charged) even while it's losing 2% per day so it can be at 90% and indicate that it's fully charged. When I unplug and re-plug it, the little battery icon is white with only the little lightning bolt showing green (showing that it's charging) and when it reaches 100% the battery icon once again turns green and will stay that way the whole time that the battery is losing 2% charge per day.

Seems like the only common denominator in this scenario is that particular light...any thoughts?

9 REPLIES 9
KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

UPDATE...

Today, after charging back to 100% (via re-plugging the AC connection), I disconnected the AC cable and within less than an hour it was down to 97% (this was during the day and during my "home" schedule where none of the lights are even online) and now, with the lights armed, after 2 hours of darkness and the light only being triggered five times for 40 seconds each, the battery power has dropped to 93%.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm going to guess that the light has a hardware problem. Don't delay - use the Contact Support link at the bottom here to use your warranty.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@jguerdat 

That was certainly my thought and I'll contact them today (that's never fun 🙄)

Checked this morning after light was triggered 6 more times between 14-19 seconds each and battery was showing 87% (from 93%) so I plugged the AC back in 8 minutes ago and it's already back to 98%. By the way those five recordings I referred to in my last post as 40 sec. were actually from 15-20 sec. each.

Thanks,
Paul

kr67mustang
Luminary
Luminary
I have been having battery charging issues since I bought the Arlo Pro 3 with solar panel. I have tried over and over to get this resolved with Arlo Support since last Dec and NOTHING. I have replaced the battery with a new one I have also replaced the solar panel with a new one and still draining battery. I insisted with all the other issues Arlo products are experiencing it is a FIRMWARE PROBLEM- The sad thing is that it seems that Arlo has your money already and just don’t care- Very Unfortunate -
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kr67mustang wrote:
I have been having battery charging issues since I bought the Arlo Pro 3 with solar panel.I have replaced the battery with a new one I have also replaced the solar panel with a new one and still draining battery. 

Did you ask for replacement camera?  

FWIW, I'm not seeing excessive battery drain on my own Pro 3 cameras.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@kr67mustang 

If your camera has a lot of activity it's likely that the solar panel won't keep up and there will be some battery drain but certainly not as much as a stand alone camera. My Ultra has a bunch of activity and with the AC charger it stays at 100% all the time but if it were on solar instead I'm sure that there would be some battery drain over time...the solar panels put out very little compared to the AC charging.

kr67mustang
Luminary
Luminary

I am aware of all of that but very little activity and also little amount of spot light being turned on for my battery to drain like it does. . Why can't it just be Arlo products are not that good and the Camera itself is bad as I replaced a New Battery and a New Solar Panel.

kr67mustang
Luminary
Luminary

Stephen- I have asked and nothing from them but the battery and solar panel. Arlo seems like they are not interested in replacing a faulty camera as it is the high ticket item. Not very happy

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kr67mustang wrote:

I have asked and nothing from them but the battery and solar panel. Arlo seems like they are not interested in replacing a faulty camera as it is the high ticket item. 

Likely this will just cost them more in the end.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation