Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Illusion someone is home ?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
SusanSmith
Aspirant
Aspirant
Could someone please guide me in how to set the light up on a timer (as mentioned in the pic attached). I am using the light indoors and plugged in and want the light to come on in the evenings for just a few hours to make it appear someone is home. Can’t figure it out . Thx
5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't - it's battery-operated. It's either turned on by motion detection or manually and then only for 5 minutes max.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I've played/setup the lights for a few months... to my knowledge, the lights operate like the cameras.

You can Arm them on a schedule,  but they are really meant to go on after detecting motion.

You option looks like to manually turn them on from your app ( the time is adjustable in settings; 5 mins default, the n you have 10,20,30,60, always on ) and let them auto shut off ( except for always ).

It may be a bit overkill for you since the regular light timers are only about $10 to automate same

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SusanSmith
Aspirant
Aspirant
Actually I have the battery removed and the light plugged and it’s working just fine as a motion light. Just trying to understand why the documentation references “illusion of someone home” yet the app doesn’t let you set up a “timer”
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

SusanSmith,

The documentation you pointed out is referencing the idea that if someone/something were to be detected by the light in it's armed state, it would turn on, giving the illusion of someone being home.

Based within the rules, you can then set a timer for how long the lights will remain on after motion is detected.

JamesC

SusanSmith
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmmm that is not how the document reads to me...   "When out of town, it is simple to set a schedule to turn lights on and off to give the illusion that someone is home".   There is no mention of motion needed.  When I read that I thought, oh great, I can keep it indoors, plug it in, put it on a timer and have it go on intermittently during the night AND have it also be triggered by motion indoors.  Oh well.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation