Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
teri52
Guide
Guide

I am sharing my Arlo security light and Arlo camera with my partner, who also has an ARLO account with 5 cameras.    On a windows PC she can access the shared camera and security lights without problem.  On her android app however, she can access the shared camera but not the shared security lights..  On her android app the shared security light icons show up but they are in continuously trying to connect mode (just sitting there spinning)

I've now reset and reinstalled the lights three separate times without success.  I've also uninstaled/reinstaled the android app and cleared android cache in both phones.   It appears to me that this could be a bug in the android APP (permissions perhaps?), since everything works fine in windows..  Anyone seen this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

teri52,

I wasn't able to replicate this issue when using an Android device. Does she have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app available from the app store? What model Android device is she using and what version is the OS?

JamesC

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

teri52,

I wasn't able to replicate this issue when using an Android device. Does she have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app available from the app store? What model Android device is she using and what version is the OS?

JamesC

teri52
Guide
Guide
I bit the bullet and ordered a Arlo subscription so I can include all six cameras and my lights under the same account. Under my new Elite account, I continue to have the same problem. I also reset all of my devices Andre added them back to my account with no improvement. I've come to believe that the problem is one with the Android operating system, since everything works properly under windows.
teri52
Guide
Guide
By the way I forgot to mention we are running Android version 8 on a Galaxy S8.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

teri52,

Have you tried removing her from your Grant Access settings and then resending the invitation?

JamesC

teri52
Guide
Guide

Hi JamesC.  Yes I had tried removing her with no change.  Afterwards I readded her and no change there either.  While googling I found a number of reports about various android apps failing with sound nontifications, or in other cases, cutting short the sound notification.  Apparently this occurs when an image is attached to the message.  I'm thinking that was the problem.  I did load the Arlo app on a tablet running an older Android version and everything worked OK.   To me that kind of points the finger at the android version (8.0) I'm running on my smartphone.    Not certain whether Arlo needs to update their app to have notifications work properly with Android 8.0, or whether I just wait for the next android update, but as a workaround I did add an IFTTT routine which generates a separate sound notification that works correctly...whenever Arlo generates a notification.  

bevanz
Initiate
Initiate
Same issue with iOS, the Arlo light does not connect to the shared (invited) account. The light appears offline and the connection circle spins for a while. When I log into the shared (invited) account through the Arlo website the light is connected and operates just fine. Seems to be a problem with the app.
arloproNZ
Initiate
Initiate

Hi James,

This issue isn't solved. I'm having exactly the same problem with IOS. Giving access to Arlo Security lights isn't working properly. When you grant access to another person they are not able to control the light (on/off) as their app just shows the light as offline and it keeps spinning. It's also quite frustrating that the mode setting does not appear to be available for shared security lights either so only the main account can configure them.

P

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've tried to reproduce this using various iOS and Android devices with different Android versions but could not see the issue as described...If you reboot your bridge, do you still experience this? Does the shared account behave the same when viewing through the web client (bevanz mentions that the website works fine).

JamesC

arloproNZ
Initiate
Initiate

Hi James,

I've rebooted the bridge and tried again, still the same problem. To be a little bit clearer on the scenario:

- I added a new security light to my main account, which also has 2 x arlo pro 2 cameras setup under a single base station 

- I then went into my account settings and granted access to the security light to another account (the same account already has access granted to the cameras and this works perfectly fine). At first the light did not appear at all on the shared account (in ios app). I had to have mutliple attempts at adding/removing the light and in fact it only worked when I removed the light and all cameras and then added them back in.

- When I go into the Arlo app for the main account (on an iPhone X) I can see the light as a device and turn it on/off or adjust settings as expected. I also see the bridge under the mode tab and can adjust configuration.

- When the shared account goes into the Arlo app (on an iPhone X) they can see the light, but it appears offline and the spinner just keeps going. After a while the spinner times out but the light remains offline and they are not able to turn it on/off.

- When the shared account goes into the Arlo website however they can see the light and it appears online. There is clearly an issue with the app.

As an aside it would also be good if the bridge appeared under the mode tab on the shared account too so that they are able to adjust the configuration, disable/arm just like you can with the camera system. At the moment the security light just feels like it has been released when it is only half finished, which is a bit disappointing considering the price tag associated with it.

It has also been very disappointing raising this issue with the netgear arlo helpdesk. I was told that the security light did not support sharing at all (clearly incorrect) and the only response so far has been to "try again".

teri52
Guide
Guide
I was convinced that the Arlo App was at fault until I loaded the App on an older android 6 tablet and everything worked fine. I wonder if there are some new security features in the newer Android OS that Arlo app doesn't account for? BTW my experience with Arlo support was the same as yours, a presumption that this problem is external to Arlo. I'm not so sure about that
bevanz
Initiate
Initiate
This issue is still unresolved. Getting a resolution through the Arlo call centre is worse than pulling teeth. Feels like this product was released too early and still has bugs to sort. Beware.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @bevanz,

Have you tried removing Grant Access and readding back on? Does it work fine when checking through other devices (such as on computer or on other mobile devices)?

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation