Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Battery Lasts only a few days

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
CCrosby82
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had my Arlo security light wire-free camera for over a year and everything was working fine until a month ago. The camera's battery only lasts for about 7 days and it used to last a lot longer. I have not changed the location and I do not have any videos stored on the device. I am not sure what has caused the change in the battery performance. 

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You mention the security light but selected a spotlight camera - which is it?

Assuming it's the light, you might want to create a custom mode that triggers a camera when the light is triggered. That would help determine if the light is being triggered a lot, causing the battery to deplete. Of course, it's also possible it's a battery or light problem. If you have another battery (or device that uses the same battery) try swapping around to see if the problem follows the battery.

CCrosby82
Aspirant
Aspirant
Here is the serial number A47A177UA3434 I can’t seem to find a model information. The spotlight isn’t on while I’m in the office and at night no one is there.
CCrosby82
Aspirant
Aspirant
How do you make a custom mode?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CCrosby82 wrote:
The spotlight isn’t on while I’m in the office and at night no one is there.

Is the camera armed when you are in the office?  If it is, consider disabling it when you are active in the office.

@CCrosby82 wrote:
Here is the serial number A47A177UA3434 I can’t seem to find a model information. 

This is a user-to-user forum, and the serial number doesn't help us identify the model. 

The "Arlo Security Light" is just a light with a motion sensor - no camera.  Here's a photo:

arlo light.png

If you do have a camera with a spotlight, then you should be able to find a label on it somewhere that begins with VMC.  If the housing can be opened, then open it and remove the battery.  You should then find the label inside.

@CCrosby82 wrote:
How do you make a custom mode?

Read this:

CCrosby82
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine is a camera

CCrosby82_1-1661968779438.jpeg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CCrosby82 wrote:

Mine is a camera

Good, that helps.

• Does your camera housing open with a push button?  Or is the camera housing fully sealed?
  • Is there a flap on the bottom that opens for charging?  If so, is the serial number and QR code underneath the flap?
CCrosby82
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok the camera has a flap that seals and there is a QR code underneath the flap. I fully charged the camera on Monday and now it says it is at 13%. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried viewing the battery level with both the app as well as the web client (https://my.arlo.com)? There can be a difference in what's displayed depending on how you view the level.

CCrosby82
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can try but the camera just shuts down and won't work and sees the battery is dead. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be faster/best to use Settings, Support to see about a replacement. This requires a subscription to contact by phone.

CCrosby82
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I have to pay for support in order for it to be fixed... that is ridiculous. I guess I will just buy a different brand of camera. So disappointing that it messes up one month after the warranty. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CCrosby82 wrote:

So I have to pay for support in order for it to be fixed... 

They don't repair them anyway.  If you are out of warranty, they'd likely offer you a discount on a replacement.

Have you tried moving the camera into a (different) low-motion area, and then see if the charge lasts longer?

CCrosby82
Aspirant
Aspirant

I definitely thought the camera would last longer than a year. I will be looking at different brands. This has been a very frustrating process. 

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation