Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo solar Panel charging only between 85-87%

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mpcreative
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I had a question regarding the Arlo Solar panels I installed to charge my Arlo Security lights. They work great. When I installed them I made sure the batteries were charged to 100% before installing the solar panels. I noticed that they now only charge between 85 - 87%. Is this the normal range they should be at while on the solar panel charging. Will they ever charge back up to 100%. I have read that you can take the batteries out, charge them to 100% with the a/c adapter provided then put them back in. But will they drop back down to 85 - 87% while on Solar panels? Just checking to see if this is a safety precaution that is normal while on Solar panels to prevent from over charging. Thanks for any advice or help. Love the lights, and the solar panels. Just want to make sure all is normal. 

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The batteries actually charge to 80% in camera or light so that connecting them to power doesn't shorten battery life by over-charging them. However, the display will show 100% and on down. Charging in the external charger charges to an actual 100% so when installing the battery in the camera/light it will be displayed as 100% for some time until the battery drops down to that actual 80%. 80% actual = 100% displayed..

If the light is discharging, that can be due to lots of activity keeping the light on, lack of enough sunlight during the day to recharge the battery or an issue between the solar panel and light keeping the recharging from working. Can you verify that anything may be the cause?

mpcreative
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi jguerdat (Guru) ,
Thanks for responding. I have 3 lights. the batteries in each are currently reading 85%, 87%, 87%. The lightning bolt indicates that the solar panels are charging them during the day. At night however, the lightning bolt icon disappears indicating that they are not being charged. (obviously as the sun is not out) lol 
I believe the batteries dropped so quickly to 85-87% when I left them on for about 30 min to see if the batteries would drop even though connected to the solar panels. It was a test. But I now understand the more light used the solar panel can't compensate to completely charge it to 100%. So I'll try and externally charge with a/c adapter to 100% and then put them back with solar panel to see how long the 100% charge lasts with solar panel attached and with just limited motion sensor activation of increment of 30 seconds per incident. 
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just an FYI, I have a solar panel that I've used on both a camera as well as a light. When cloudy and/or used a lot the battery depletes but if not used a lot and the sun shines reasonably the battery will top back up. Exactly what to expect depends on usage and sunlight so you will need to monitor things to figure out what's "normal".

Xichlo
Luminary
Luminary

Where do you live ? We live in Arizona, since the last Firmware update ours work great, they usually start charge at  85%-87% and charge to 100% that day. Check the optimum Solar angle and direction for your location on line or with a local Solar Company. Unless you live in a terrible location with lots of cloudy weather or very high usage the should fully charge when they reach the trigger range. Now I've noticed what might be a quirk in the charging program that if it starts a charging cycle late in day and not fully charged that day, it will not complete that cycle the next day. It will have to reach trigger range again to start new charge cycle again

mpcreative
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the info. We live in South Florida. And plenty abundance of sun. the day I was checking this out it was an unusual overcast cloudy day. Could explain the delay of the charging. I'm happy to say today it charged to 100% all three lights thru the solar panels! which is great. So I think I'm good. We even had a cold snap last night..(48 degrees..LOL) but the sun was strong today and not a cloud in the sky. Thanks for the input! 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation