Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
MV_
Initiate
Initiate

Followed all available information to resolve the dreaded "flashing purple" after setup, and still have the issue.

Arris SB6141 cable modem

Apple AirPort Extreme Time Capsule 3TB wireless router

Arlo VMB4000 camera hub

iPhone with Arlo App installed

Tried two separate light hubs (ABB1000)

I used the Arlo App in an attempt to setup the light bridge, followed directions to the letter with the following results:

All is well when I enter the network password while the blue light is flashing, then the hub displays a steady blue light for 10 to 15 seconds, then starts flashing purple.  According to Arlo online troubleshooting, this LED display indicates the hub has connected to the router, however cannot connect to the internet.

I can see the light bridge ABB1000 in the AirPort Utility wireless client list, so I know I've connected the the router.

I have performed the factory reset and retied the setup several times (light hub is less than 2 feet from the router and the camera hub), always the same result, flashing purple after the short stead blue LED.  I contacted phone assistance, and was sent a new light hub... NO CHANGE in the setup attempt results, both light hubs react/respond in the same way (flashing amber, flashing blue, steady blue, flashing purple).

I don't have a software VPN nor virus protection active, and I do not have a firewall system on the modem or router.  I also turned off cellular data on my iPhone and deactivated 5 GHz on the AirPort Extreme router so only the 2.4 GHz is active during the setup.  I have run out of ideas... phone help is not providing any additional solutions (case number 41272756).

Any other solutions..?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MV_
Initiate
Initiate

As follow up to the community, I offer the following solution for my specific "flashing Purple" issue:

System installing to:

Arris SB6141 cable modem

Apple Air Port Extreme Time Capsule 3TB router

Arlo Pro Camera Bridge

iPhone 7 Plus iOS 13.1.3

issue was NOT with the light bridge (even after replacing unit, same LED activity), no change to network speed required (no reason to adjust iPhone or Air Port speeds, nor to turn off cell data)... the issue was:

Check and change the Air Port DNS to 4.2.2.2 (primary) and 4.2.2.3 (secondary) - issue solved right away

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey MV_,

You mentioned that you contacted our support team regarding this. Let me reach out to you via private message to gather some information from you regarding your case.

Furnking
Aspirant
Aspirant
One thing I found out after 45 minutes on the phone with support is they never walked me through the re boot. Your phone needs to be on the same WiFi as the hub. My phone was on 5g and hub only takes 2.4. I un installed the hub and reinstalled with phone on 2.4 and everything was fine. All support tried to do was sell me a new fire wall for my router which is only 3 months old . I didn’t need a firewall. I need better tech support.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Furnking wrote:
All support tried to do was sell me a new fire wall for my router which is only 3 months old .

Are you sure you were talking to Arlo support?  Sounds like you reached a third party support site to me. 

Did you use https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Furnking
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is a followup I got I think from Arlo. If you are able to review the case number I would be interested to know if this is really arlo
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Furnking wrote:
This is a followup I got I think from Arlo. If you are able to review the case number I would be interested to know if this is really arlo

I can't check case numbers (only Arlo employees can do that).  But the contact information looks correct.

It seems very strange that they would offer to sell a router firewall package, since Arlo has nothing to do with routers.  I suggest following up in a PM to one of the mods or @JamesC .  You send a private message using the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum page.

MV_
Initiate
Initiate

As follow up to the community, I offer the following solution for my specific "flashing Purple" issue:

System installing to:

Arris SB6141 cable modem

Apple Air Port Extreme Time Capsule 3TB router

Arlo Pro Camera Bridge

iPhone 7 Plus iOS 13.1.3

issue was NOT with the light bridge (even after replacing unit, same LED activity), no change to network speed required (no reason to adjust iPhone or Air Port speeds, nor to turn off cell data)... the issue was:

Check and change the Air Port DNS to 4.2.2.2 (primary) and 4.2.2.3 (secondary) - issue solved right away

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation