Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Bridge cannot connect to network. Tried resetting and turned off firewalls.

Discussion stats
  • 34 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 14 In Conversation
FFGregston
Aspirant
Aspirant

So after reading other posts and doing everything listed I still can't connect to my bridge. It starts connectting and will cycle for a while before stating the "Arlo could not connect to my network". I tried resesting everything to no availe, firewalls are all turned off. I go into my DumaOS router genie and the bridge is showing up as connected to my network as soon as the process starts, but will never connect. I have the bridge plugged in right next to my router. Any help would be greatly appriecated!

34 REPLIES 34
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi FFGregston,

Make sure that your Arlo Bridge and your mobile device are connected to the same WiFi network. You can read here on how to troubleshoot if you can't connect the Arlo Bridge: I can't set up the Arlo Bridge that came with my Arlo Light Security system; what do I do?

FFGregston
Aspirant
Aspirant

I not only made sure I was on the same wifi band. I tried my guest network, my extender with the same problem. I reset my router to factory...same thing. It'll show up in router settings that it is connecting, but the bridge just flashes like it is connected but not receiving internet. I made sure my firewalls were off and the same problem persisted.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Have you tried to perform a factory reset for your Arlo Bridge and trying the setup process again?

pcamp836
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased my security cameras, which came with a "bonus" of the security lights/bridge in the package back in July. I recently set everything up (needed to wait for help installing them as I can't climb ladders). The cameras installed fine (as did a pair of doorbells I also purchased separately). The security lights are another issue altogether. The bridge cannot connect to my internet. Yes, I'm on the same network on my phone as on the bridge when I try. I get as far as it trying to find the network and it will never connect. I did a factory reset and tried again (several times).  It always gets to the point of trying to connect to the internet and then fails. 

I called Arlo support and after several attempts on their end, they decided to send me a new bridge. It's not working either - gets to the same point of trying to connect and then fails.

I've turned off all my web security/firewalls and that doesn't help either. It's very aggravating. I have not seen any meaningful solutions to this issue so far. Some say "solved," but it seems the issue morphs to something else or when someone says their bridge connected they never outline the steps on what made it connect.

My OS is Windows 10. My ISP is Verizon, and I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ phone.  I don't know what you mean about firmware. The first bridge updated the firmware, but the second bridge didn't provide that option. The model is ALS1102-100NAS.

Also, I did follow all the steps on the document titled "I can't set up the Arlo Bridge..." so yes, I'm on the same network - it's 2.4 (not 5), the security is disabled, the unit is not on the floor, etc.

One question - should the blinking blue light go out when it's trying to connect to the internet? This ALWAYS happens.

I don't understand why the lights can't be connected to the Arlo hub. Who's bright idea was it to have a separate bridge for them when everything else connects to the (very expensive) hub. I'm so disappointed in this product, and can't even return it because it was a "freebie." Kind of like getting an empty bubble gum wrapper at the bottom of the Cracker Jack box, if you ask me.

Any steps or advice you can provide will be appreciated before I just throw this in the garbage.

pcamp836
Tutor
Tutor

(Added additional comments above).

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi pcamp836,

Sorry to hear the problems you're having with your Arlo Bridge. You mentioned that you contacted the support team and got a replacement for your Arlo Bridge. Let me reach out to you via private message to gather more information from you.

tcounts
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  I've tried numerous times to connect my light Bridge (ABB1000) to my network.  My iPhone 10 is connected to the same WiFi network.  The Arlo Bridge, iPhone and router are all within 6 feet of each other.  It attempts to connect to my network however after a few minutes it will fail to connect.  I've performed the reset several times as well.  

mmwada
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spent a lot of time connecting to the network until I gave up and decided to call support.   They said the bridge was bad and I had to send it back to them.  I had to pay for shipping and provide a credit card number.  I declined and decided to return it from where I purchased it.  I decided to try once more.  It was something really simple and obvious.  I had to just turn my VPN off.  Not the first time the VPN messed with me.  

tcounts
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not have VPN.  I took a look at my router logs and I see ABB1000 connected as a DHCP Client with type 802.11b/g/n, Signal -44, Noise -81 and dataRate 144  The Bridge is slow blinking purple 

Blinking purple. The bridge is connected to your WiFi network but can’t access the Internet.

The Arlo app on my iPhone does not show the bridge connected.  and it reports it as "Arlo could not connect to <ssid>" .  My router has given it an IP address.

pcamp836
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you! It was the VPN. There is no where in the Arlo documentation that mentions turning a VPN off. I suggest they add it as more and more people are adding VPNs to their networks.

Now my lights are set up except I did the first one - it connected, I named it, and then proceeded to the second light, which also connected. Now I don't see the first light listed on my app! This is so incredibly frustrating!

pcamp836
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Jessica,

Thanks to a community member, the issue of linking is resolved. You may wish to ask your team to add "disable VPN" to the steps on connecting the bridge to the network as that seems to be the issue.

However, now I have another problem. It seems to be fixed, but I share it here for anyone else who is having issues:

The app is only showing that I have one connected security light and not two. I connect one and it links, I name it and move on to the next. Then when I get done connecting the second one, the first light has disappeared from the app. It doesn't matter which light I sync first, when I've finished syncing the second light, the first one has disappeared.

So the solution seemed to be that both lights had to be near each other for them both the "stick" to the app. I had been putting the first light up on it's mount and then syncing the second light. The app, apparently, didn't like that. So when I took them both off their mounts and synced them, one right after the other and both near the bridge and the phone, that worked. They're now both showing up on the app, although intermittently saying they're offline (which I don't know why as both are well within 100 feet of the bridge).

Arlo design teams really need to go back to the drawing board and fix these issues. The products seem really good - once they are installed and after countless hours of troubleshooting, but honestly I can't recommend them to anyone at this point until the syncing issues are fixed and the documentation on troubleshooting is more thorough. I've spent probably a dozen hours getting these things working.

I appreciate your help Jessica, and thank you in advance for passing along my feedback.

Boluke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cannot connect to bridge either. Where do I go to to turn VPN off? Sorry I am clueless!

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Boluke wrote:

I cannot connect to bridge either. Where do I go to to turn VPN off?

Did you install a VPN on your network or on your PC/mobile device?  If not, then there is nothing to turn off.

@Boluke wrote:

I cannot connect to bridge either. ... Sorry I am clueless!

Have you tried these steps:  https://kb.arlo.com/000061837/I-can-t-set-up-the-Arlo-Bridge-that-came-with-my-Arlo-Light-Security-s...

If they don't help, then contact support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Boluke
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried all that & it still won't connect to network! 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Boluke wrote:

I tried all that & it still won't connect to network! 

Then the next step is to contact support here: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

westlake91361
Aspirant
Aspirant

I made sure no VPN is enabled and followed the link https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Security-Light/Arlo-Bridge-cannot-connect-to-network-Tried-resett... and the light is still blinking amber. Tried to press the button multiple times but no help at all. Please help and thanks!

BvilleMan
Aspirant
Aspirant

After several hours of frustration and guessing countless configuration options, I was finally able to connect my Also Bridge ABB1000 to my Xfinity Router by enabling the 802.11 b mode on the router.

To change or check the mode of your WiFi signal,  you need to login to your router with Admin rights and select a mode combination that includes b (ex. instead of 802.11 g/n select 802.11 b/g/n.

For the record, I am a former Cisco Certifed Engineer who used to setup and configure corporate routers and switches for a living.  By far my Arlo Bridge setup was one of the worst installs for me because the app's wizard lacks meaningful instructions.  For example, after scanning the QR code of the Bridge, the user is instructed to press the Sync button but, nothing on the Bridge is labelled Sync and there is no documentation. There is a Sync button on the Security Light. Was I supposed to press the light's button? No, apparently, the big square button on the face of the Bridge is the Sync button (I think). 

Bottom line, the installation of this SIMPLE product is unnecessarily difficult due to the missing and partial instructions. Arlo, please consider publishing online PDF user guides with a little more details.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@BvilleMan wrote:

For example, after scanning the QR code of the Bridge, the user is instructed to press the Sync button but, nothing on the Bridge is labelled Sync and there is no documentation.

That's my complaint. Well, one of them.  Not the sync button so much, although that certainly needs clarifying, as the QR code.

Arlo loves hiding these away inside cameras or on the back of plugs that you have to remove to get at them. Nuts.

My answer is to take a photo of the code and keep it as an image on my computer. Then I can use that to convince my mobile device (another complaint for those of us who prefer to use PCs to set things up) that I have one of these things.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BvilleMan wrote:

After several hours of frustration and guessing countless configuration options, I was finally able to connect my Also Bridge ABB1000 to my Xfinity Router by enabling the 802.11 b mode on the router.

To change or check the mode of your WiFi signal,  you need to login to your router with Admin rights and select a mode combination that includes b (ex. instead of 802.11 g/n select 802.11 b/g/n.

Interesting.  That option isn't exposed in my Orbi.

I am wondering if that is only needed for the initial sync, or if it is needed after the sync is finished.  802.11b is of course obsolete, so the bridge shouldn't require it.

@BvilleMan wrote:

Arlo, please consider publishing online PDF user guides with a little more details.

I'd like to see that too.  There's very little documentation on specifications for many of the products, and it really should be easier to find.

mnarula
Aspirant
Aspirant

issue w. the bridge as well using Xfinity - I don't have the b option only 802.11 g,n or 802.11 n ??

I have the cameras and bridge and yet of no use as I can't connect them???

would an extender help 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@mnarula wrote:

issue w. the bridge as well using Xfinity - I don't have the b option only 802.11 g,n or 802.11 n ??

I can't see where this comes into the picture.

@mnarula wrote:

I have the cameras and bridge and yet of no use as I can't connect them???

What happens when you try?

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details of what you are doing and where it goes wrong.

Just another user
mnarula
Aspirant
Aspirant

@michaelkenward

Confused by your reply - This discussion relates Arlo Bridge inability to connect to Xfinity - and the answer is that you need to set the router to 802.11 b yet many new routers do not support .b 

Does this make sense do you?  Could be that 802.11 using an extender could connect through supported protocol and the the extender extends out at 802.11 b

Bartman123
Aspirant
Aspirant

As with many I see, I am having the same issue: bridge connects to wifi but not the internet.  Factory reset numerous times, check every router setting, disable every firewall, you name it I did it!  Only have two device connected to the router at 2.4 GHz, my I-phone and the bridge.  I-phone accesses the internet fine, nothing on the bridge.

Customer support just ran me through the trouble guide posted in the manual., which I did 25 times.  Still no closer to get this working.  Strongly thinking of returning the light system.  Cameras work great!