Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
tkaser1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having problems getting the arlo solar panel to charge the new ALS1101 smart light.

once connected it’ll work for a bit then lights go off line in my app, restart bridge and nothing. Anyone have their lights connected to the arlo solar panel?

14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have had no issues with solar to light other than it only charges 2 hrs before and after top noon

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
tkaser1
Aspirant
Aspirant

So you have the security lights connected to solar panels? And only charges from 10-12 & 1-2pm

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tkaser1,

The position of the solar panel plays an important role in charging the device. Take a look here for tips on positioning your solar panel for best performance: How does the Arlo Solar Panel work?

JamesC

Xichlo
Luminary
Luminary

I think NetGear will find this is a Software problem, am having the same problem on 3 lights, one went Brick yesterday, got it working by taking a battery out of one of my cameras and swapping, Light shows 100% and Camera is charging the battery that was at 63%, is 97% now (1.5 hr). 

All batteries (3) were showing the charge symbol from day one and down to 91% to 81%, when a few days ago I saw them take a Software update, they started really charging to 100%, all 3, but have again died down. I started a thread explaining what I've done and found so far, Good Luck

Baldness
Apprentice
Apprentice

James C   .. unless people are idiots ...we can assume most of them are not positioning their solar panels up the backsides of their wives etc or otherwise out of a sunny spot... especially since it is summer here in the northern hemisphere....

I noticed the Arlo instructions expalin that a panel will not show charging for several hours after it is connected...presumably it wont show a charging symbol after this time if it is not gettign sufficient sun (poor positioning or lack of sunlight when in a otherwise suitable position)

BADLZRD
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also having the same problem, it isn't a matter of positioning the solar panel in sunlight, the entire light loses sync as soon as the solar panel is plugged in. Once the panel is unplugged and the light restarted by removing/replacing the battery it syncs up and works fine.
tkaser1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with positioning as mine charges as well with barely hitting due south!

i have found so far that unplugging the solar panel from the light rebooting the light system then plugging it back it works or has so far

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Our engineering team is aware about the issue with solar panels not charging the lights properly and is working on a resolution. We appreciate your patience and understanding and will provide updates as soon as we have more information to share.

mrambo4
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a micro usb Y connector that will allow the solar panel to charge the camera and the light sitting side by side?   

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No. There's likely not enough current to trickle charge both at the same time.

Baldness
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does the Arlo security light need to be ARMED before a solar panel connected to it will charge the light ?

My light battery was low so I disarmed it , expecting that over a few days the connevted solar Panel would charge the Lights battery back uop.  It hasn't.

The charge indicator has previously appeared on the Light when the solar panel was attached but as this is a new set up I dont know if the panel was actually charging the light at that time.   Winter where I am with little sunlight so limited opportunities to check and test different configurations to trouble shoot.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Charging happens regardless of mode.  Make sure the connections are tight. Winter causes the angle to be low and short. I have one panel that is shrouded by houses and doesn't charge unless it's the right time of day with good sun.

BobDeeks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi did this problem get fixed, as I am having the same issue.

many thanks 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @BobDeeks,

Make sure you have the latest version for your Arlo Security Light, which improves your Solar Panel charging: Arlo Security Light - 3.2.51 - 17th October 2018

If you're having troubles getting your Arlo Security Lights charged from your Solar Panel, try repositioning your Solar Panel to see if that helps. You can read more about it here: How does the Arlo Solar Panel work?

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation