Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

live view button is missing, the 4k view is missing, and/or the audio button is missing

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does anyone else have to restart their base station consistently and/or force-stop their app because they constantly lose certain functions on the app?  I have had this issue with 2 different base stations so I am sure it is a software/app issue.  Some days the live view button is missing, the 4k view is missing, and/or the audio button is missing.  You name it and it will be missing.  Today when I went to connect to live view,  I got "connectin...",  not "connecting...".  I guess arlo forgot the "g"???   Plus no 4K option...    Can you guys fix this and keep the software constiently functioning?  Thanks    

19 REPLIES 19
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It rather sounds like a signal strength and/or quality issue. Try moving the hub away from your router. What is the house construction? What are the various signal strength indications for your cameras? Any other wireless devices near either your cameras or hub?

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

All the cameras have 3 bars. There are no other wireless devices near the hub.  I never had this issue with my pro2 cameras.

Stevewins
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’ve had to reboot my VMB5000 base at least once if not several times every single day for the last couple of weeks or so. I suspect the last update with the spotlight button fix broke something else in the code. Big surprise right, it’s a never ending cycle. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that higher resolution brings increased WiFi demands on the connection between hub and cameras. Relocating the hub and/or cameras can help but testing is needed.

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wish that was the case.  That would be an easy fix.  I have test the wifi and we 1gig speeds.  It barely strains our internet.  Today is a great example.  I am getting notifications of motion and I can see the clips on the notifications.  But when I go to view them in the cloud there is nothing.  This is a software issues on the ARLO side.  Once again I have to reset the hub.

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

Screenshot_20230216_112218_Arlo Secure.jpg

 Look at the play button location.  This is a software issue.  All my cameras are 3 bars.  I had to reset the hub again and force quit the app.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dionysius,

I've not been able to replicate the behavior you're experiencing on the Arlo Secure mobile app. Do you have the latest version installed from the app store?

Are you able to consistently replicate this behavior?

JamesC

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is something different every day.  Look at the current attached pic.  Only live view option is the audio.  Nothing else.

Screenshot_20230216_183334_Arlo Secure.jpg

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am really trying to sort this out because this will be my new 2nd base station that is defective.  Arlo support is currently sending me a new base station for the 1st defective base station.  I originally had purchased 2 base stations.  So when the 1st one went defective, I started using the 2nd new base station.  Now I am running into these above problems.  The only fix I have found is restarting the base station when the issues arise.  It is a temporary fix but if I have 2nd defective base station, I would like it replaced.

Danny

LC596
Star
Star

I have to restart our hub also at least every 1-2 days. It flashes orange and no change in new hardware, etc since we purchased it. I thought that maybe it didn’t like being plugged into a USB hub so I plugged it directly into the router and it still does it. Why does it do this?

We have the VMB 5000 and this has been happening for the last 8-9 months. I’m ready to return this whole system of 8 cameras!! Someone please help? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The flashing amber LED means a connection to a camera is having difficulty:

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean

Check the WiFi indicator for each camera - are any showing low signals? Do any cameras go offline? 

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any ideas on why I keep having to restart my base station everyday or multiple times a day.  Each time the button options on live view change.  It is getting ridiculous.  This seems like a software issue.

LC596
Star
Star

Well, I moved the Hub and now I have 3 bars on 2 cameras and 2 bars on 4 cameras. 
I got up last night and the Hub was blinking orange. I unplugged it and hit the reset button and this morning it was blue. Not sure what is going on. Maybe there is something wrong with the hub, because I have been having this problem for almost a year!

A fix would be great!

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

I orginally purchased 2 hubs for my arlo ultra 2 cameras.  I am on my second hub because the first one was defective.  All my issues on this post are with the 2nd hub.  I just got my replacement hub in the mail.  It this hub still has the same issues then it definitely is a software issue that ARLO needs to address.

LC596
Star
Star

I have the same problem… I talked to support back in July 2022 and they said I probably had a bad hub. Got busy in vacationing etc and forgot to call them back to get a new hub.

When you hit the software update, it says everything is updated and I checked all of my cameras and the hub!
Is there a more specific area that we need to be directed to that will talk to the hub and cameras and get them updated?

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

I hope it is not the hub.  That would be 2 defective hubs in a row for me.  I am assuming you need to make a claim with the support team.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@LC596 wrote:

Well, I moved the Hub and now I have 3 bars on 2 cameras and 2 bars on 4 cameras. 
I got up last night and the Hub was blinking orange. I unplugged it and hit the reset button and this morning it was blue. Not sure what is going on. Maybe there is something wrong with the hub, because I have been having this problem for almost a year!

A fix would be great!

Hitting the reset button does nothing - you have to hold it for >15 seconds. WHen doing so, you also have to remove all devices from your account so you can start fresh, adding your hub first and then cameras. Using the reset button is a last ditch move to act as if you just bought the system.

Just moving the hub may not be sufficient since cameras may still have issues. It can be signal strength and/or quality that you need to troubleshoot. I would start by bring one or both of the cameras with 2 bars of strength closer to the hub. You need to figure out which one(s) are causing the issue which we can't do remotely.

Dionysius
Apprentice
Apprentice

So I received my new smart hub/base station in the mail.  I immediately removed all the cameras from the other base station and reconnected them to the new base station.  And guess what?  I am having the same issues.  I have to constantly reset the base station or reset the app.  This is obviously not a base station or hardware issues.  This is a software issue.  Can this not be addressed or escalated higher up to fix the problem???

LC596
Star
Star

So yesterday I chatted with Arlo and they told me to sign on to the app and go to add a device.

They had me add a Security System. It added a whole new different app that I can actually adjust the audio that I could  not do with the old app. You need to contact chat or call support in order to get the complete instructions. My problem was that I had gotten over 200 notifications in 1 hour!! And this had been going on since I had installed this system almost a year ago!

Now the notifications are not too bad, but I have to adjust each camera settings for video/audio as I get the notifications.