Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
MissCourts
Guide
Guide

Hey all, my partner and I recently purchased new Arlo cameras and got them all set up, I was invited onto his account and was great as when he is away I could arm the cameras etc etc. I updated the app this morning and now I can no longer change the mode from the app. This is a big let down as my partner is away a bit so being able to do it myself was a big draw. Is this a glitch or the new normal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The 4.7 version of the Arlo Secure mobile app, which resolves this issue, is being rolled out now. It may take up to a week for all users to see the update available in the app store. I encourage you to check the app store to see if the update is available if you're experiencing this issue.

JamesC

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for the continued feedback. The fix for this issue will be available in the next version of the Arlo Secure mobile app. As a temporary workaround, you can use the Web Portal at My.Arlo.com or an Android device to adjust the modes. 

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

I spoke with members of the development team and they are aware that this issue is impacting some users. A fix is currently being tested and will be rolled out in a new version  of the Arlo Secure mobile app. I will provide more information as soon as I it becomes available.

JamesC

101 REPLIES 101
Cartero95
Guide
Guide

I am no longer able to arm/disarm shared devices.

From the android app, the shared devices are just displaying 'connecting...' with no ability to arm/disarm.

However I am able to connect to the live feed of the camera without any issue.

I have also tried the option to 'arm/disarm all devices' but fails as well.

From the web application, I am able to see the arm/disarm buttons for shared devices.

However, despite showing me that the device is armed/disarmed, the actual status is not changing on the camera.

Is anybody else facing this issue?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MissCourts,

To arm or disarm cameras on a shared account, the account must have access rights toggled on. Check the primary account to make sure this is toggled on for the shared account. For more information on this feature, take a look here: https://kb.arlo.com/1103229/What-privileges-do-my-friends-have-when-I-grant-them-access-rights-in-my...

JamesC

MissCourts
Guide
Guide

We have done that. I used to be able to arm away and go back to standby but since I updated the app I can no longer do that. Had that feature been removed? I couldn’t see it as an option in the link above. We have secure 4.0 I think

AZh
Star
Star

I experience the same - all modes are displayed as disabled for shared devices even though other feature that require access right work (editing automations etc). This feature is critical, please provide resolution ASAP.

-RonB-
Guide
Guide

My wife has access / visibility to our cameras (Pro 5S), but cannot change the dashboard from "Standby" to "Arm Home" or "Arm Away".  Wondering it that is only something I can do as the primary account or is there a way for her to be able to make such changes on the dashboard as well?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

With the new user interface (UI) that uses Feed to view videos, changing modes isn't possible for any person who was granted access according to this FAQ:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062945/What-privileges-do-my-friends-have-when-I-grant-them-access-rights-in-...

AZh
Star
Star

Hello @jguerdat ! I'm  pretty sure that I checked out this article when I discovered the issue and it said that users with Access Rights can "Access and change modes" (and yes, I did check that the article was about UI with Feed). In any case, users with Access Rights have access to create/modify Routines which effectively allows them to change modes, just in very complicated way. If disallowing changing modes is intentional, this is a horrible product decision that removes one of the critical features for shared access. This functionality must be fixed; if the concern is that users with Access Rights might have too much access, then it should be allowed to enable/disable specific access type on user by user basis. 

AZh
Star
Star

@jguerdat  I also want to point out that "new user interface" usually means that the user UI experience changes, but functionality stays the same. We were happily using the old, simpler UI (that allowed user with Access Rights change modes), until we were forced to upgrade the app to be able to grant access to another person in our household and this upgrade removed the feature that we use every day.

arloUser58
Star
Star

Happened to me recently as well.  I have two accounts and they share each others cameras.  One account can no longer arm or disarm the cameras of the shared account.  However the other account can.  Both accounts have access rights enabled.  I am on iphone 14.  When I log into the web portal it all works fine but not on my iphone.  If it were my phone, then both accounts would have the same issue but only one account can't arm or disarm the shared account.  I have deleted the app and reinstalled it, revoked the shared account and reinvited, updated IOS and the problem persists.  I have been sharing accounts for 5 years and it has alway worked.  So far support has been no help whatsoever.  Oh, and I am a subscriber on both accounts, so I am paying for something I can't properly use.

Patmat439
Star
Star

Agreed!  This is a serious issue as my wife and I both need to be able to manage cameras.  It is also disappointing as this was functionality that existed when we bought our system.  Please address ASAP!

arloUser58
Star
Star

This is really awful and might be a deal killer.  I have two accounts with my wife using one and me using one.  One account is for one home the other for our winter home.  Both homes share so both accounts see all the cameras.  Been that way for many years and both users can arm or disarm the shared account.  Suddenly that stopped, but the odd thing is that only one account can't change the modes for the other shared account.  The other account allows changing modes of that shared account.   This app is so riddled with bugs and we've endured the too many to count bugs for 6 years.  We are about at our wits end.  We have 9 cameras in one home and 6 in the other.  All but 2 cameras are the new Arlo 5s cameras we recently upgraded.  Do the math Arlo, we've spent thousands over the years.  Both accounts are on the secure plan subscription, and now this?  Yes, access rights are turned on, they always have been and I've double checked.  Funny thing is, when  log in to the web interface, I can change modes on the shared account in question, but not on my Iphone 14 pro.  I've even unshared and reinvited the account, as well as remove the app and redownloaded it.  Still doesn't work.  Maybe its time to start testing other cameras and sell the whole lot and finally be done.

AZh
Star
Star

@arloUser58  You mentioned that only one account cannot change the modes of the shared account. I am curious if you use these accounts on 2 different devices, and if yes - are different app versions installed in these two devices? I am asking because this sounds like a problem that was introduced just recent,y.

-RonB-
Guide
Guide

We are on the same UI and I have granted her all access rights.  This needs fixed ASAP.  My wife has to have the ability to change from Standby to Armed.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those of you experiencing this issue, for the shared account to make changes to modes they must navigate to Dashboard (far left on the bottom of the app), make sure the shared location is selected at the top of the app screen and then make a mode selection.

Are you still experiencing this behavior?

JamesC

AZh
Star
Star

@JamesC  yes. When shared location is selected on the top, the buttons that change mode are disabled. 
Shared location:

A8CDF431-BA8E-40BC-8930-9C8C2207E44A.jpeg

-RonB-
Guide
Guide

Sorry, that doesn't work.  When she clicks to our shared account, the mode options are greyed out and cannot be changed.  In the setup, it required her to setup her own account (no cameras, no smart hub) and she can select that location and change modes, but that "location" isn't real....only exists because in setup it required her to establish her own account.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AZh,

That behavior only occurs if Access Rights for the shared user is disabled. Log in to the primary account and navigate to Settings > People. Does it show the shared user having restricted access or admin?

-RonB-

Again, the mode changes need to be done within Dashboard. The shared user will not be able to make changes under Routines. On the shared account, navigate to Dashboard, select the shared location and then you should be able to adjust the mode.

JamesC

AZh
Star
Star

The shared user had admin access. This actually can be confirmed by the fact that while the mode buttons are disabled for the shared location for this user, the user can add/modify Automations (see + on the screenshot)

5A2FE824-DDDC-438E-B329-B66742574D98.jpeg

AZh
Star
Star

@JamesC  can you try the same scenario with the latest iOS version - 4.6?

AZh
Star
Star

@JamesC i just installed iOS version 4.6.1 and the issue is still there.

-RonB-
Guide
Guide

We are doing it within dashboard...not routines.  When my wife (the shared account) goes to the dashboard, all three modes are greyed out and cannot be changed.

I have triple checked and I have given her all access rights.  So, I don't understand why this is happening.  But, it is a big problem for us

MissCourts
Guide
Guide

I used to be able to change modes and then I updated the app. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and definitely set as an admin. As you can see by the picture it is all greyed out. I’m using iOS and it’s only been since the last update. Been using modes fine for the first month or so since we got the cameras

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The gray icons indicate the mode is not currently active. Tapping "Arm Away", "Arm Home", or "Standby" will activate that mode. I've tested this on both iOS and Android with the latest versions of the Arlo Secure mobile app and i'm not able to reproduce any issues changing the modes within Dashboards with a shared account.

JamesC

MissCourts
Guide
Guide

Tapping on the greyed out modes does absolutely nothing. There’s physically no way I have been able to change modes.