Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 39 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
pjama
Luminary
Luminary

Hi,

I have a new phone and have allowed it to be a trusted device. I've gone into Settings -> Profile -> Login Settings -> Two-Step Verification  and ticked the new device under Trusted Devices.

Now when I log in on another device (in this case browser on PC), it says it send a push notification to the new Trusted phone (even has the right name) but that notification is not seen on new Trusted phone.

I've since deleted my old phone as a Trusted Device as it was listed first but not ticked but that has not made a difference.

Is there a time delay for this as it propagates through the cloud? If so, how long. It's been about an hour so far which I thought would be time enough.

Cheers

P

Best answers
  • pjama
    Luminary
    Luminary

This is now resolved for me having updated to Android App version 3.7.1_28485 AND removing and re-adding the primary trusted device.

39 REPLIES 39
Dannybear
Master
Master
For my iPhone it takes a few seconds to come through. This is just enough time for the mobile app to open, tap the approval button three times so it can do it’s 2fa thing just before the web portal times out.

I have noted previously that it does not arrive at all but seems to come good by itself after a few days.
pjama
Luminary
Luminary

ok, it's several hours later again and still no pushed notification received on the new Trusted phone. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the pushed notification to the Trusted phone to permit access for a non trusted new client (in this case a web browser on a PC) trying to log in.

I'll add that when I send (or resend) the push notification from the new client, I get the message that it's sent ala:

We don't recognize this device.
We sent a push notification to Pete's S20+ to verify your identity. This screen will automatically disappear when verified.
Notification expires in: 00:25

but it only gets 7 seconds into the count down then:

Login Denied.
We're sorry, your attempt to log in was blocked. If you denied the request by accident, try logging in again.

In the mean time, on my new phone (aka Trusted Device) I did not get any notification let alone deny it.

For the record, other notifications like new videos are coming through to this phone.

Is there some other place I'm supposed to set the primary trusted device that verifies new logins?

Cheers

P

Dannybear
Master
Master
If it times out early then it’s likely still sending the old phone the request and fails when it is unable to be delivered.

Maybe arlo is broken again or the change has not made it back to the main arlo server yet. Mine took a few days to work correctly.

@JamesC or @ShayneS might be be able to comment.
WaldoJr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine times out early,  I got a new phone, had the S10, got the S21, and Arlo 2FA no longer works. I deleted all phones and the app a couple of times, but after about 5 seconds of sending the push notification, it returned as denied. I deleted the 2FA in settings for the old phone before setting up the new phone, I had to use my email because no notification would arrive on the new phone when setting up 2FA even though Arlo settings said the S21 was added as a trusted device for 2FA. I still have the old phone, and it also gets no notification; it only has wifi, as the Simcard is in the new phone.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

OK it's over 24 hours later and this still does not work pushing auth notifications to my new device.

It really should be as simple as adding a new trusted device in the two-step verification area and checking/ticking it but this does not work.

I tried the online help chat but just got bot spammed into a rage.

Arlo, can you please fix this? It seems I'm not the only one.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Arlo people, this is still a problem.

> If it times out early then it’s likely still sending the old phone the request and fails when it is unable to be delivered.

Well, it is timing out early but my old phone is still on line via wifi (ie no SIM) and no auth request is received on that either.

> @JamesC or @ShayneS might be be able to comment.

Yes please!

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

Hmmm, I thought I added an update to this thread after I logged a case with Arlo but it seems to have disappeared. I'll recreate to the best of my recollection and perhaps with less fresh angst...

I logged a case #43104048 with Arlo that took me some 1hour and 10minutes on the phone, mostly with second level support. In that time I re-installed the app which didn't help, then a reset of network connections [1] on the phone which didn't help either. I've also provided a log.

I've since had notification by Arlo that case #43104566 was also logged off this thread. Sorry Arlo, like I said, I thought I updated this earlier.

Cheers

P

[1] I did protest that this will reset all my connections like it says, and it did. This wiped out some 8 wifi configs, and 6 bluetooth configs that I now have to re-setup. Resetting bluetooth to my watch meant the whole watch required resetting as well. Apart from the fact this didn't help, it was probably unnecessary because connectivity was via the cellular network at the time. Not cool.

MrLizzard
Tutor
Tutor

Throwing my hat in here too. Moved OnePlus 6 to S22 Ultra and zero push notifications are coming in to the app when trying to authenticate. The old phone is already been removed from 'trusted' devices in the app too once i got through with email code and the device is now trusted... But as soon as I try to login from anywhere else... It just doesn't work. Additionally, removing the application removes trust between device and server, forcing to go through all the hoops again and making device trusted... Still doesn't make it receive push notifications.

Dannybear
Master
Master
@MrLizzard,

Can you check in the mode camera rules that the push notification option is pointing to the new phone device.

If the name of the new phone matches the old phone you may need to refresh the setting again.

Also I recall a long time ago that arlo didn’t work well if the phone had special characters that Apple would auto populate.
MrLizzard
Tutor
Tutor

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention.

The camera notifications with motion detection work fine and arrive instantaneously on the new phone, and I've definitely used a different phone name, several times in fact, including removing it completely, reinstalling app and adding the phone as new trusted device. I'm on the 3rd iteration of trusted phone name now. :). I've tried spaces and no spaces included and it's just numbers and letters currently. These are Android phones btw, and the camera alerts come in properly and all notifications are enabled. Also the 2fa push responds with a 'deny' within probably 3 seconds of being sent... Like the background system fails to even try rather than waiting for my reply.

rwinter
Guide
Guide

Same issue here since moving to a new phone. I get motion notification no problem, however the 2fa just gives me a "blocked" message after around 4 seconds. Also tried to add/remove/rename the 2fa device multiple times to no avail.

Dannybear
Master
Master
I stress the importance of contacting arlo support to raise a fault case. The more cases that are raised the higher the escalation travels up the chain.
It will take them a few months to identify the issue and another month or two to implement a fix. So the more noise you make the sooner they will do something to make you go away.

Look in the arlo app under settings/support for options, web portal should give you a phone number to call I read.
gkhicksFL
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've attempted every suggestion by Arlo to resolve this... and none of it works!  All I did was upgrade my Android phone... made all the necessary changes in the mobile app, verified the web portal, and still 2FA will not push the logon attempt... failing as "Denied Access".  I can use my alternate methods without problem... but it would be nice (and convenient) to use the push function for this!  All other push messages from the cameras work fine.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It looks like the issue has been identified and a fix will be coming. I will provide more info as soon as possible. 

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS wrote:

It looks like the issue has been identified and a fix will be coming. I will provide more info as soon as possible. 

Hi Shane, Is there any update on this? It's been a while now....

I've just now tested if a push notification will be sent to my new phone, which is configured as the primary trusted device and it still doesn't push the auth notification.

Cheers

P

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello, 

I have been informed this issue should be resolved with the latest version of the Arlo mobile app v3.7

This update is in a roll out phase so you may not see it right away. Please let me know if you still experience this after the update.

MrLizzard
Tutor
Tutor

Update after upgrading to version 3.7.1 ...

IT WORKS!!! YAAAAY!!!

Some un-scientific findings:

The (new) mobile phone needs to be re-added as trusted device and set up as primary auth system for notifications to show up reliably.

Otherwise it's somewhat random what happens.  

WaldoJr
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did not get the option to update the app, and I am impatient, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it to force the update. As a result, the 2FA now works on my phone again. So it seems the update is a success so far.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

This is now resolved for me having updated to Android App version 3.7.1_28485 AND removing and re-adding the primary trusted device.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the updates.

jamescisco248
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a work account that I can no longer log into.  I can reset the password, but I do not recieve the verification code to my email.  I have checked spam and have done message traces.  The reset email password comes through, but the verification code to the same email does not.  

Dannybear
Master
Master

Is it possible that your work server is blocking the 2FA email, check with IT support.

cardaddy73
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am new to this and need some help that i have not found any where, I cannot log in on any trusted devices and tried to get a trusted device to recognize my new device NONE work nothing no notifications nothing. I can log into the store but not the app....can any body direct me to the correct place for help since there is no technical help line i can find.