Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
koop1975
Initiate
Initiate

Hello, 

I've had my Arlo Pro's for about 5 years, and I just upgraded most of my camera's to the 5S 2K, and then a couple of essential w/ spotlight for inside the house.   I also purchased the Home Security system.   I am left scratching my head with a few things and hoping someone can assist.  

1) I used to have custom modes that allowed me to turn certain cameras off, such as when I was mowing the lawn.   How do I do that with the new app?   

2) I've had the paid Arlo subscription for a few years, but I'm not sure what I need going forward.    Do I need just one subscription to cover cameras and the security system live monitoring, or do I need multiple subscriptions? 

3) I had an existing base station from my original Arlo cams (VMB4000r3).   I noticed the new cams can connect to the base station, WiFi, and I think maybe the security system keypad sensor hub as well.     Do I need the base station anymore?   I don't have storage connected to it since I pay for the cloud subscription.  Is there an advantage to connecting the cameras to the base station vs. WiFi vs. Keypad sensor hub?  

Sorry for the questions....I tried searching the website, but I wasn't able to find clear answers.   Thanks for your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@koop1975 wrote:

1) I used to have custom modes that allowed me to turn certain cameras off, such as when I was mowing the lawn.   How do I do that with the new app?   

Regrettably, there are no custom modes in the new user experience.  You can edit the three built-in modes (Armed Home, Armed Away, and Standby), but that's it. 

@koop1975 wrote:

2) I've had the paid Arlo subscription for a few years, but I'm not sure what I need going forward.    Do I need just one subscription to cover cameras and the security system live monitoring, or do I need multiple subscriptions? 

Just one subscription should do it - either "Arlo Secure", or "Arlo Safe and Secure".

@koop1975 wrote:

3) I had an existing base station from my original Arlo cams (VMB4000r3).   I noticed the new cams can connect to the base station, WiFi, and I think maybe the security system keypad sensor hub as well.     Do I need the base station anymore?   I don't have storage connected to it since I pay for the cloud subscription. 

No.

You could still use it, but I don't see any benefit with the Pro 5s.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@koop1975 wrote:

Regrettably, there are no custom modes in the new user experience.  You can edit the three built-in modes (Armed Home, Armed Away, and Standby), but that's it. 

@koop1975 wrote:

Just one subscription should do it - either "Arlo Secure", or "Arlo Safe and Secure".

@koop1975 wrote:

3) I had an existing base station from my original Arlo cams (VMB4000r3).   I noticed the new cams can connect to the base station, WiFi, and I think maybe the security system keypad sensor hub as well.     Do I need the base station anymore?   I don't have storage connected to it since I pay for the cloud subscription. 

No.

You could still use it, but I don't see any benefit with the Pro 5s.

koop1975
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the information.   Too bad they did away with custom modes.   

I've modified the three routines (Home, Away, and Standby), so that my cameras behave as desired.  I do wish there was a 4th mode though.  When it's set to home, that's my "sleep" setting and I want all exterior cams to record on motion, and exterior doors to trigger the alarm.   Away is similar, but adding interior cam into the mix.  Standby I am removing the driveway cam as people are coming and going all day, but I still want notifications for front door, back door.   I need one more mode for all cameras off (mowing the lawn to use the same example).   I don't see a way to add a custom routine. 

I also finally found a comparison of the new packages, and it looks like Safe and Secure Pro is the only one that includes 24/7 professional monitoring for the alarm system.  

I'll probably do away with my base station then.   No need for it anymore it sounds like.    Maybe I can sell it along with all 7 of my older pro cams.     Thanks again for your help!