New app, old UI

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Jordandesbien
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, I had my cameras uninstalled for about a year. We moved and I decided to use them again. I installed and re-downloaded the app. 

i see on the App Store there is suppose to be a new user interface but my app is the exact same. 

i don’t have any options for setting up routines and it doesn’t look anything like the picture examples on the App Store. 

F46D48C4-970D-4E39-AECF-D75093DFA8A0.png

E5451442-9119-4269-844B-98A1563FA78C.png

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

You will likely want to read more before you try to update. 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062797/What-is-new-in-the-Arlo-Secure-App-4-0 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jordandesbien wrote:

i see on the App Store there is suppose to be a new user interface but my app is the exact same. 

i don’t have any options for setting up routines and it doesn’t look anything like the picture examples on the App Store. 

The current app supports both the old and new interfaces. FWIW, there are issues with it, so personally I'd stick with the old one unless you really need the new one. 

Is there a particular reason you want to move to the new one?  If there is, we can tell you how to do that.

You will need to change to it if you want to set up a new friend account, or if you are adding the Pro 5s camera or the home security system to your account.

Jordandesbien
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I want to set up routines. That capability isn’t available in the old app. I’ve read the new app isn’t very user friendly, so I can’t say for sure if it will be a good change or not without experiencing it. I dabble in networking and have a higher than average ability to understand and navigate complicated systems. 

if I switch is there a way to switch back?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jordandesbien wrote:

if I switch is there a way to switch back?

No.  You could try setting up a second account, and moving one camera over to it.  You might need to also purchase a single-camera subscription plan for that account, depending on what you need to test.

@Jordandesbien wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I want to set up routines. That capability isn’t available in the old app. I’ve read the new app isn’t very user friendly, so I can’t say for sure if it will be a good change or not without experiencing it.

Arlo was planning to roll the new UI out fairly slowly, then then migrate everyone from their servers after they got some field experience.  It was clear early on that there were several bugs, and also there were some complaints about loss of some features.  No idea how those will addressed.

Anyway, although Arlo didn't intend for users to migrate their own, there is a path that will do that.  What you do is "add device".  Select either a Pro 5s or the home security system.  The Add process will fail, because you don't actually have those devices.  So just cancel it mid-flight - not sure if you will be prompted on whether you want to migrate, or if you just cancel when you get to the QR code scan.