Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Since ios17 was introduced the notifications of the arlo app are hardly audible because apple has changed the default sound of notifications to one with a much lower volume. This makes it impossible to hear notifications while sleeping when people trespass our property. Arlo : when will you build in a custom sound possibility for notifications. 

Without this change our home security system is almost useless. 

Best answers
  • _Rocky_
    Star
    Star

They have, you need to update your apple device to IOS 17.2 the then on your device go to settings, sounds, default settings then choose the sound you want to use for arlo, also make sure on your arlo app you have chosen default OS tone.

• Brendafromsp
    Star
    Star

If you update to the latest version of iOS you have a wide range of sounds to choose from for your notification sound, there are some that are louder. For me I’ve chosen to use the suggestion that was mentioned where Siri tells the message. It is the best audible in the night. In the day time I either have to change the Siri options or mute my phone

• ArloBob1
    Guide
    Guide

IOS 17.2 is available NOW!  

This fixes the issue of notifications that are not loud enough.

Do this:

1) Download and install IOS 17.2

2) Choose SOUNDS & HAPTICS

3) Choose a loud sound that you like

4) Go to the ARLO app, click on your profile (upper left on the dashboard)

5) Choose notifications

6) Make sure the Notification Tone is set to "DEFAULT OS TONE"

ArloBob1_0-1702351119036.pngArloBob1_1-1702351216526.pngArloBob1_2-1702351387082.png

192 REPLIES 192
Bicycle
Star
Star

Sadly ARLO is slow to update their app.  The sound notification is compromised with the latest iOS 17 update and therefore the notifications are muted.  Apple says that ARLO needs to update their app to allow for tone control within the app.  ARLO is so far unresponsive and deny there is an issue.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We understand and apologize for the frustration caused by the notification change in Apple's recent iOS17 update. The Arlo development team is working on providing a solution to alleviate this issue in a future app release. Once we have more information available to share, we will post an update here on the community.

JamesC

Jennebel75
Guide
Guide

I hope this is true

MichaelR1986
Initiate
Initiate

And there it is…the “canned” resolution from Arlo staff that we all know and love so dearly. 🙄 

Bicycle
Star
Star

I liked the wireless ARLO security cameras up until they were no longer compatible with my iPhone 14 PRO.  Apple did an update (iOS 17)  that caused the prominent sound alert to be muted. So the iPhone is now useless when an event triggers the camera's notification function.   You will still get notification banners but no sound to alert you when someone enters your property.

Apple says they notified ARLO well in advance of the iOS 17 release. They said they advised all their APP developers that there were going to be changes to the notification settings.  ARLO apparently was asleep at the switch and did not update their firmware to be in sync with Apple's update. The once prominent sound that came with an alert is no longer.

So if you are thinking of buying one or more ARLO security cameras, and you have an iPhone, you may want to think twice.   What good is a security camera if there is no sound notification? Not very good at all.

If you already have cameras that you are using with your iPhone, then beware of the iOS 17 update.  It'll render your camera(s) notification alerts basically useless.  

MadMax302
Guide
Guide

I have kinda found a workaround until they hopefully fix this for us. I went into my SETTINGS, NOTIFICATIONS, turned on ANNOUNCE NOTIFICATIONS, then scroll down and choose which apps you want announced. I only turned on Arlo, but that’s a personal preference. Then back to SETTINGS, ACCESSIBILITY, all the way down to Siri, then make sure ANNOUNCE NOTIFICATIONS ON SPEAKER is toggled on. (Otherwise it would only work with ear buds) But now Siri will verbally announce the alerts from Arlo, (it tells you the time and which camera was active) when your screen is locked.  I'd still much rather have a louder alert tone, but it’s better than the new “rebound” tone we are stuck with. Hope this helps someone, at least I can hear what’s going on now. 

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

I’m going to try this. I’ll let you know if it works. ( im not at home now so I’ll have to wait) 

TomasR
Tutor
Tutor

I tried this on my xr no joy

TomasR
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry it took a while to take effect but it did work and announce on my xr

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

Thank you, this is a work around that works. 😀 I’ll use this until Arlo comes with a permanent solution

MadMax302
Guide
Guide

Good Deal ! I’m glad it works for you. ☺️

stefanlindberg
Guide
Guide

what is happening with this problem? the system is completely useless until this is fixed

Bicycle
Star
Star

Thanks for the work around.  I found it to be hit or miss.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Especially if there are multiple notifications with in a short period. Also it does not work if there is a bluetooth connection active such as a portable speaker or headset playing music. Notifications are muted at that point. I am hopeful ARLO will update their firmware and allow tone adjustments with in their APP as APPLE has suggested. 

Bicycle
Star
Star

ARLO advised me they are working on it.  There is a work-around (see other posts) but I found it to be sporadic. 

Brendafromsp
Star
Star

There is a work around . See answer 81 by madmax302. 
Arlo says they are working on it. How many time they need has not been said

_Rocky_
Star
Star

The only way Arlo might wake up as they are completely asleep at the wheel is for All the Arlo/Apple customers need to promptly call the Arlo customer service department snd request to talk to team managers. 
In my experience the Arlo customer service department is by far the very worst i have ever had the unfortunate experience to deal with as all they do is run you around in circles plus blame everything else but ever solve the issues at hand.

Arlo was notified in advance by Apple that the Arlo app needed to be modified for when Apple released IOS 17 yet Arlo did absolutely nothing.

This current Major issue rests entirely on Arlo’s shoulder’s !!

#Arlowakeywakey

MadMax302
Guide
Guide

I agree, we all need to contact Arlo support and complain. I chatted with them, and I jumped through their hoops. They asked me to send a video showing my device volume was at max, and what the notification sounded like. 🙄 I told them if they had an iPhone just listen to the “rebound” tone and they’d hear it first hand. I ended up sending the video because I’m a firm believer the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but I thought it was kinda ridiculous. 

arlodangerous
Tutor
Tutor

I emailed both CIO and CEO.   This is the response I received from the CIO who copied the CEO on the response.  I received late last week and haven't heard anything further. 

Arlo CIO: 

Thank you for reaching out – Yes, this is being fast tracked to address.  I will get a date from our engineering team and let you know asap.

We appreciate you letting us know and Thank you for being an Arlo customer.

Wcassidy
Tutor
Tutor

It has been over a month and Arlo has not resolved the sound change from the iOS update. When are you going to do this? It makes this Arlo useless now. I can’t hear the notifications. I would think this would be a priority for Arlo to create an option to change notification sounds within the app. If you don’t plan to do anything about it then just notify users so we can change to a different security system. It is that simple. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wcassidy wrote:

It has been over a month and Arlo has not resolved the sound change from the iOS update.  It makes this Arlo useless now. I can’t hear the notifications. 

One (hopefully temporary) work-around is to configure Siri to announce the notifications.  

Bicycle
Star
Star

ARLO telephoned me yesterday and the caller said that an APP update is imminent. He said to check for the update in the APP store soon.  He did not specify how soon. Not holding my breath, but fingers crossed. 

stefanlindberg
Guide
Guide

strange that they don't communicate here to everyone who wonders what's going on, but thanks for sharing info

Conniegarnes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please help with this issue!!   As stated previously by your customers, my Arlo system is totally useless without being able to hear the notifications!!

David22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo just released a new App version for iOS.  Version 4.10.  But STILL no fix for this issue.  Very disappointed in this product and lack of support.  

pleaselisten
Tutor
Tutor

@Arlothis is truly unbelievable. It's been 6 weeks since this notification problem started for me. I'm goin to have to get a new security system this weekend. You are loosing me as a customer for the past 8 years.