Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

sdmcgeown
Star
Star

I have seen numerous people posting similar issues but none of the solutions offered really address this problem. There are, at best, workarounds.

I am the main account holder for my Arlo secure account. I have a base station and three Arlo Pro 2 cameras.

All I want to do is share these with my wife's account so she can see the footage as well.

I used the Grant Access feature, selecting all the devices and base station, and it generated an invitation that was sent to my wife.

These are the three attempts we made:

1. She created an account on her App and followed the link. At the end of the process, no devices were visible on her dashboard.

2. We tried again, this time using a different email address. She used a Chrome browser this time on her Windows laptop and created a fresh new Arlo account from scratch. Again there were no devices on her dashboard (browser and app).

3. Finally, I tried myself - using my other email address as if I were a brand new user, going through the process from scratch on my Macbook's Safari browser. Again, I could see nothing appear on my dashboard.

In cases 2 and 3, I could see that the invite was accepted. In the first case (using the app on both my side and my wife's side), the invitation was marked as pending.

This shouldn't be difficult to do. We've tried the app, Windows and Macbook, so can probably rule out a specific platform with a problem.

What is the correct process to add another user? The current documented process does not work.

Thanks, Stephen

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

For the grant access feature to allow visibility to the shared account, both users need to be on the same version of the Arlo mobile app and UI experience. We're currently rolling out app updates for iOS and Android users, but all users may not have version 4.0 available to them just yet. If you have a support ticket open, I encourage you to continue working on a resolution with the support team. Otherwise, please send me a private message and I will assist further.

JamesC

155 REPLIES 155
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@theliuman wrote:

(I think it's the old UI too).

It needs to be the new one (both accounts)

Tom_k
Tutor
Tutor

With reference to the other link ....

Tom_k_0-1675018435199.png

there is no such option ...

Tom_k_1-1675018481908.png

Sorry but I really dont get the complexity of everythink ARLO.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Where are you located?  (the issue might be because the pro 5 and the security system aren't available in your geography).

JaneJacques
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. We resolved it by my daughter using a different email and going through using her laptop. Thanks again

curencio
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, to trying to migrate to the new UI experience, I'm using Android app latest version 4.1.1 and I can't find any way to add new device Arlo zoomed Security System.  I have reinstalled the app, clear cache and any other suggestions, but still can't get the new dashboard.  My wife app  iPhone, still don't have access to my devices even after it appears as granted in my app.

Regards

Charik

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You simply choose to Add Device on the Devices card. If you don't see either the Pro 5 or security system to add it would appear that you're in a country other than the US. Some thing aren't available to all areas at the same time so you;d have to keep checking as you get updates.

curencio
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, I managed to upgrade to the new dashboard.

Im using Andoid app version 4.1.1 with Arlo Pro 2

Now I have another query regarding geofencing that I hope you can help me with.

When I create an automation in the away and standby modes, the standby works perfectly, when people arrives, it changes to standby by mode, but the away mode doesn't, when all people leaves, the away mode doesn't activate.

I believe it is because the below comment in both settings (Away and Standby), hope you can explain further:

Automations

The following Automations will be enabled when you enter Arm Away mode. All other automations will be disabled when entering this mode.

Then it shows both  arrive / leave automation which are selected. My question is, should both be selected or which one must be on in order to trigger to changeScreenshot_20230213_093601_Arlo Secure.jpgScreenshot_20230213_093613_Arlo Secure.jpg to the arm away mode?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I leave them all selected. Have you tried that?

curen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I have. I reinstall all from fresh, but still no luck. When I left home this morning, the system didn't change to away. Please help, this is really frustrating that it doesn't work as it should. Also, the other question I have is that if I want to select an specific person to trigger the automation, it only shows my device, my friend device is not available to select it in case I want to specify who will trigger the automation. I have android and my wife has an iPhone. Thanks for your time in helping me with this issue.

curen_0-1676331247840.jpeg

curen_1-1676331274635.jpegcuren_2-1676331303858.jpeg

curen_3-1676331492545.jpeg

curen_4-1676331801932.jpeg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Geofencing relies on the phone to know when it has left the area via GPS. Make sure the app is allowed to use location services including precise location. It might be worth toggling this off and back on as a test.

workingwithjohn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems like I am having the same shared device issue.

Brand new Pro 4 camera.

I've tried to add three invited users.  All received the invitation, setup an account and verified their e-mail address.

All of us are running version 4.1 of the app, downloaded and installed on the same day.  A mix of iOS and Android devices.

All of us see the "Dashboard" and "Feed" options in our app.

All of us can run the app, but we don't see any devices in our device tab.  The devices were shared by our host.  No difference when accessing via the web login on a PC.

What else could the issue be?

Tom_k
Tutor
Tutor

All US Based? I am outside the US and I needed to create new accounts using a VPN (both me, and invites). Then it worked. After initial install it works without vpn. . 

workingwithjohn
Aspirant
Aspirant

All US based.  Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@workingwithjohn wrote:

All of us can run the app, but we don't see any devices in our device tab.  The devices were shared by our host. 

Have the host check that the invites were actually accepted.

If that is the case, make sure you are choosing the correct "home" location.

moconnor
Aspirant
Aspirant

It stilkl doesn't work.  Please try again.  I have reloaded the app on two iphones and tried to add my wife as a friend.  Can't get it off Pending and there isn't a way to accept.  

moconnor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please reach out to me as well I can't get through to any other support personnel.  

moconnor
Aspirant
Aspirant

This isn't working.  This is frustrating.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@moconnor wrote:

I have reloaded the app on two iphones and tried to add my wife as a friend.  Can't get it off Pending and there isn't a way to accept.  

Use a PC, not the app. Have her click on the "Create account" link in the invite email.  That will open the browser to my.arlo.com.  From there, she logs into the account - since it already exists.

wicky818
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes!!!! Thank you so much for this! I was losing my mind and lost a lot of confidence being a new Arlo customer. Honestly pretty disappointed with this bug and hope this can be one of the items that will be resolved in the future. Weird thing is that the app version for both of them matches when I was comparing them even though the UI is different.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wicky818 wrote:

Weird thing is that the app version for both of them matches when I was comparing them even though the UI is different.

Arlo is transitioning to Feed gradually, so the current app has support for both interfaces.

Tawabzy
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue but apparently the solution is both parties having the new interface. You can do this by going to add new device > system. You cannot go back to the previous interface though which I feel is better. I'm hesitant to do this because my friends and family who have previous gen Arlo will be forced to do the same. If the new app was organized better I would do it.
This shouldn't be complicated though........

Realmike
Initiate
Initiate

That worked! I too am curious why Arlo wouldn’t publicize this solution better

Tawabzy
Tutor
Tutor

Glad it worked! Did both parties still have access to the cams if they were older cams? Just curious 

AdamCS
Aspirant
Aspirant

They won't publicize it because the new interface isn't available on all platforms. They rushed it out without regard for cross-compatibility resulting in this embarrassing mess.

sdmcgeown
Star
Star

Absolutely bang on. You must work in the software world as well 🙂

I can just imagine the VP of products demanding they release the software and the push back the engineering teams would be trying. "It's nowhere near ready to be shipped, we've not tested it yet".

VP of products: "I don't care. We'll have the idiot customers debug it for us while you finish the code. Release the software now!!"

I feel sorry for the software devs, they must be so demoralized dealing with this kind of cr@p. I know, I've been there.