Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 35 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
burgr86
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have several Arlo Pro5s and 4's all on wifi and for the last few weeks I have been going crazy trying to understand why geofencing is not working correctly.  Arlo support says it's setup correctly.  Here is the issue with 2 phones, mine and my wife's.

System is on Standby ....  Wife leaves, I stay home, system arms to away as it thinks both phones are out of the zone.

System is on Standby .... Wife returns home, I'm still home having manually set the mode to standby after she left.  Arrive automation executes setting the system to standby (it's already on standby) and notifying me that it did so.

System is on Standby - Wife is not home, I leave the zone, system runs leave automation (everyone leaves) correctly.

System is on Arm Away - I arrive home, wife is still not home, system runs arrive automation(anyone arrives)  correctly.

System is on Standby - Wife is home, I leave - nothing happens as it should.

System is on Standby - Wife is home, I arrive - nothing happens as it should.

So why does my system arm when I'm home and she leaves, yet if she's gone and I leave also geofencing acts correctly.  This make no sense and has to be a bug.   Both phones are logged in, all settings are correct.  I continue to get bad and conflicting information from Arlo support which tells me first line support does not clearly understand how this works or is supposed to work.  And yes, it's the new interface.  Shows both of our phones correctly, I set arrive to anyone arrives, and I set leave to everyone leaves.  Any thoughts?

35 REPLIES 35
Nicktim
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue… have been a prob back and forvword even in the old app for so long time… how cant this be prio one for arlo to fix!! Have seen so many getting mad on this and as you say paying costumer…. 

DougalArlo
Guide
Guide

@JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN 

Are you guys from Arlo? If so, can you please treat this as a high priority bug and fix ASAP.

This is a huge security issue when we rely on the mode change based on the functionality you provide, and when it does not work as intended.

mrterrycook
Guide
Guide

My wife and I have been experiencing this issue for about a month. It’s maddening as we get needless indoor camera activations and unpredictable system state. Arlo’s weak iOS software and HomeKit issues has always been an irritant, but this bug is a daily reminder of their inability to provide a quality experience for their customers. You are also experiencing the same useless support I have encountered. If I wasn’t so invested in their products, I would abandon them. 

notrabbi5
Guide
Guide

I am having the same problem for just over a week now. Seemed to start after I upgraded to 17.1.2 IOS. My wife is still on IOS 16. It recognizes her phone regularly but mine it doesn’t pick up anymore. This geofence setup had work done with schedules and home/leave until recently. Tried everything even a full restore on my phone with no luck.

burgr86
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am told that Engineering is looking at my case now.  That's the only way something will get fixed.  Ironically, the last 2 days have worked correctly.  I haven't changed a thing.  Fingers crossed. 

Funny thing is, actually not so funny, I engaged Apple on another matter and the very skilled tech support person who speaks clear english and doesn't insult your intelligence and really wants to help, told me that he is battling an issue with his ARLO cameras and he described the very same issue he is having as I am.  I did not tell him I have Arlo cameras and having an issue.  After he told me about his issue it was then I told him about mine as well.  So, it's not just us, even skilled Apple Tech support folks and he is skilled in all things home kit, are having issues.  My comments are geared at first line tech support not the moderators on here who I believe do want to help.  

Dennis_Edwards
Tutor
Tutor

I am having this issue. 

Three devices in the geofencing group but if all three are at home and I leave, the system is armed and I get smashed by 100s of notifications!

My wife has to open the app and it immediately re-engages home mode again. But she has to do this every single day!

This is a new issue in the last couple of weeks. 

Nicktim
Aspirant
Aspirant

That sounds more like tour wifes phone settings? She might have iphone and not allowed arlo to track gps (iphone ask about once a month if surten app should be allowd to track you allways) my wife did the same misstake. So go in phone settings, arlo, and check that arlo is allowed location allways on every phone thats have geofencing

egonvdv
Guide
Guide

i have 2 iphones setup for geofencing:

both phones away  = armed / one home =  not armed

simple and this always worked

but for months now it no longer does;

the app does correctly show  if each phone is home or away, but will never arm by itself.

strangely enough, if i toggle from "geo" to "arm" or "disarm"  and back again, then it will take in account where both phones are and apply the proper status (arm/disarm)

Also, when i toggle from "geofencing" to  "disarm" it sometimes still says  "geofencing" under status.

i then have to toggle several times to get it to show "disarm"

And it seems i can no longer create a custom mode: i want a mode where system is armed, but no notifications.

Seems the app is getting worse with each update....

egonvdv
Guide
Guide

follow up

thank to Jeffrey from Arlo, managed to get it to work again

- i deleted the base station from my app

- reset base station

- switched base station off for 30 seconds / then on again 

- re-added base station to the app

cheers

Dennis_Edwards
Tutor