Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Disabled vehicle alert in Arlo Pro 2 Smart Notifications but still getting vehicle alerts

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CordThomas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have licensed Arlo Secure and I have 5 cameras enrolled.

All seem to be behaving but an Arlo Pro 2 that is facing the street.  I have only toggled on people notifications but I am still getting vehicle notifications.   This is draining my battery to the point the solar panel can barely stay ahead.

I just made this configuration change 15 minutes ago, but though tat this point, the camera would have been updated.  I verify this setting on the web and my Arlo App.

4 REPLIES 4
CordThomas
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is my configuration:

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 4.30.19 PM.png

And look at this in just a few minutes - 35 vehicles passed

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 4.28.58 PM.png

Thank you

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CordThomas wrote:

All seem to be behaving but an Arlo Pro 2 that is facing the street.  I have only toggled on people notifications but I am still getting vehicle notifications.   This is draining my battery to the point the solar panel can barely stay ahead.

Actually the smart notifications will not help battery life at all.  The camera streams to the Arlo cloud whenever it detects motion.  The cloud then analyzes the video. 

1. if you are using activity zones, it supresses out-of-zone recording and notifications. 
  2. If you are using smart notifications for filtering, it will supress the unwanted notifications, but not the recordings.

Granted neither works perfectly, and you shouldn't be getting vehicle notifications if you've turned them off.

But since the camera always streams whenever it detects motion, neither feature has any effect on battery life at all.  The camera operates the same way no matter how you set the smart notifications.

The ways to improve battery life are to

• adjust the motion sensitivity in the camera rule(s)
  • reposition the camera so the street is not in the field of view.
CordThomas
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB thank you for the response

So that I understand, do you know what the precedence of operations is?

I assume it first starts collecting information when it sees any motion

then it figures out what sort of motion that is

then it figures out if that sort of motion (person, animal, vehicle) is something it has been asked to care about

then sends a notification if that motion matches

So, regardless, I am going to incur recording and analysis computation costs, but i should not expect to get notifications of vehicle movement if I have configured it not to send those notifications - which would presumably save some battery as sending a message costs energy,  but probably not nearly as much as recording to begin wiht.

So, how do I figure how to cure the notification issue?   It's notifying on all motion classes even though i have set it to only notify on people?

Again, thank you for helping me understand the process.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CordThomas wrote:

I assume it first starts collecting information when it sees any motion

then it figures out what sort of motion that is

then it figures out if that sort of motion (person, animal, vehicle) is something it has been asked to care about

then sends a notification if that motion matches

The camera streams whenever its PIR (passive infrared) sensor detects motion.

The cloud then analyzes the video, and does the object classification.  Then sends out the notification if the smart notifications are set to include that classification.

@CordThomas wrote:

if I have configured it not to send those notifications - which would presumably save some battery as sending a message costs energy,  but probably not nearly as much as recording to begin wiht.

The notification is sent by the cloud, not the camera, so no battery life impact.

@CordThomas wrote:

So, how do I figure how to cure the notification issue?   It's notifying on all motion classes even though i have set it to only notify on people?

I'd start by restarting the base, and see if that helps.  If it doesn't try removing/reinserting the battery for that camera.