Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot see devices after accepted friend invite

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Dbozdag
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I have seen multiple posts about this issue but none of which offers a solution. My friend sent me an invitation. I made an account and downloaded the app but cannot see the devices. I’ve tried having them resend me the link multiple times and accepting it but the devices still do not show up. I’ve tried accessing the link through a different browser no luck. I do see the dashboard on the bottom but still no way to access the cameras.  Please advise. 

18 REPLIES 18
Dbozdag
Aspirant
Aspirant
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Likely your friend isn't using the same app version or user interface as you. A new user like yourself automatically gets the new app and interface but an existing user has to update the app and migrate to the new interface (if necessary, migration can be forced by "installing" a Pro 5 or security system which will migrate the user but then he will need to just cancel the installation since no device is actually to be added). This migration can't be reversed and he should know that he will need to rebuild his modes, schedule and geofencing (if used) since these don't transfer over. Even if he chooses to not migrate, he should know that at some point in the near future it will be forced so doing it now gets him in front of the process.

One additional step for you is to click on the Home selection at the top of your Devices screen and choose his Home so you can see his cameras. A good thing to do is to rename either your Home or his so it's obvious which one you're seeing.

Dbozdag
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. I tried switching to home with no luck. I’m a bit confused what you mean about the updates. Should he update his app? I’m confused what I should tell the friend to actually do

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Look at the bottom of your app - you should see Dashboard, Feed, Emergency, etc. Have your friend do the same thing - if he sees Mode, Devices, Library, etc. he has the old user interface. The way the new app and interface work, both he and you MUST be using the latest app as well as the new interface. 

GregHulliberger
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem.  Have tried multiple ways on multiple devices for my wife to be able to see our cameras.  How can I get help with this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you read this whole thread, including what I posted earlier?

Dbozdag
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat Thanks for the reply! I had my friend update the app but they still have the mode,devices, library while I have dashboard feed etc. is there a way I can use the older interface so it’s more compatible with his app ??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope. He will have to migrate his account if he wants to share cameras with you - there's no way to go back.

Dbozdag
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat how would he go about migrating his account? Will it affect his ability to share with other friends? I just don’t understand how he’s able to share with multiple people with no issue but only I have an issue. Not sure what I did to make the app so incompatible with his software but no one else has an issue. Thanks for any advice 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Again, the issue is that everyone has to use the same version app as well as the same UI. It would seem that your friend is still using the old UI so the other folks he's sharing with must be also using that version. You have a new account so you were automatically given the new UI and there's no way to change.

My best suggestion is that you have a conversation with your friend (and the others, if possible) about all this. I believe in relatively short order (no, I don't know the timeline) everyone will be migrated. That will work for you but the others will then have to redo their setups to make things work. They can just get the pain over with and do it now or wait until they're forced but be ready for much wailing and gnashing of teeth when things suddenly don't work as they used to.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dbozdag wrote:

I just don’t understand how he’s able to share with multiple people with no issue but only I have an issue. Not sure what I did to make the app so incompatible with his software but no one else has an issue. 

You didn't do anything - Arlo messed up.  The bug only affects new invitations, existing invitations continue to work.

@Dbozdag wrote:

how would he go about migrating his account?

See

Migration might require him to re-invite other users (not sure if it will or not).

donallabaugh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure this will help.  I have gone through this with customer service.

The last time they had me try to invite my wife to see the cameras she accepted the invitation and could not see the cameras BUT

When looking at the APP I noticed that She DID Have 2 Locations listed when she logged in.

Clicking on the second location did the trick.  Now she can see the cameras.

Not only that I had her login using her computer and when we selected the 2nd location she could see the cameras on her computer.

We were informed by tech support that the cameras would only be visible through the APP on her phone?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@donallabaugh wrote:

We were informed by tech support that the cameras would only be visible through the APP on her phone?

As you've discovered, tech support gave you the wrong information.

Dbozdag
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat you were correct, any subsequent invitations after me with the new interface is incompatible with the user’s. I don’t want him to migrate his account as he might lose the previous shares. I encouraged him to wait until Arlo self migrates everything and we’re all compatible again. The user is a bit frustrated with the situation and might reach out to customer service himself to see if there’s any other solution but I appreciate you giving us insight on the issue 

Trawdy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am running into a lot of the same issues listed in this thread. 

Is there any update on a migration or fix? I'm looking to share cameras with up to 20 induvials and all new accounts see a different UI then mine. I have followed all steps and ensured everything is upto date.  While using one Ipad that is upto date with OS and App. I see all of our cameras on the home page while using my log in. If I log into the same app on the same device using new credentials I see a different UI and can't access cameras. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Trawdy wrote:

Is there any update on a migration or fix? 

It's the same migration that's been posted here before:  You need to go into "add device", and add either the home security system or a pro5s camera.  That will of course fail, since you don't have one.  But it will have the side effect of migrating your account to "Feed".

One big limitation in "Feed" is that there are only three modes - called Armed Home, Armed Away, and Standby.  You can edit them, but you cannot create new ones.

Trawdy
Aspirant
Aspirant

When following the steps to add a security system or the camera they do not "fail" instead it  requests I scan the QR code for the base station or connect the camera to Wifi.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Simply cancel the installation. Did you see the first step to migrate and did that work ok? If so, you are all set to go ahead and set the system up as you need again. You'll need to edit modes in the Routines section and you should check each camera's settings to verify how you want them configured. While you're in the camera settings, check the Default Mode Settings to make it easier to work with the modes.

I'd also suggest that you rename your Home to something that makes it obvious it's yours. That way, the other users can easily click on Home in their screens and see which one is yours so they can select it and see your cameras.