Arlo smart premier 1080p vs new Secure 2K streaming plan

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
I am currently a legacy Smart premier subscriber with up to 10 cameras and streaming 1080p.

The main advantage of the new Secure is the unlimited cameras, but I only have 9 and am currently allowed 10. So the only difference I see in switching is the 2K cloud recordings.

Obviously, I see that the streaming difference between 1080p and 2K is a better video resolution with 2K.

My question is, is there any better performance in the streaming capabilities from Arlo for this higher resolution? Is it possible my streaming and cloud storage will result in choppy footage going to a higher video resolution?

My current internet is 1GB down and 30MB up. I do see issues for time to time while using my video doorbell and other cameras, the video will be chopping or distorted at times, not sure if too many thing are popping up at the same time, such as a stream to my Apple TV through HomeKit , also popping up on my Mac, and the Arlo app phone call at the same time. I do have the Wi-Fi 6 Netgear Orbi as my router with plenty of coverage and all cameras show the highest signal.

Does anybody know if the new subscription would help with any of this?
2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dbensette wrote:
I am currently a legacy Smart premier subscriber with up to 10 cameras and streaming 1080p.

The main advantage of the new Secure is the unlimited cameras, but I only have 9 and am currently allowed 10. So the only difference I see in switching is the 2K cloud recordings.

That's the only advantage I see in your situation also.

I don't think switching to Secure is going to help with choppy/corrupted video recordings.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary

Ok thanks for your help. I know it sounded like a dumb question. I was just thinking that maybe Arlo allocated more bandwidth to a higher subscription plan, or if there isn't any resolution conversion needed on the higher plan vs the old one if that would possibly help with the speeds of streaming.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.