Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Fledge
Tutor
Tutor

ARLO Secure 4.0­

Where to begin: This interface was not created to be user friendly.  As a developer of end-user customer interfaces, it appears to me that this design was not developed with the input from a GUI (graphical user interface) expert and actual user representatives.

1. FEED: data feed is a technical term, data is transmitted to the base station or to the users WI-FI which in turn is sent to the cloud. A LIBRARY is what a user views when looking at the data. Please rename it to Library or View Data, etc.
  2. FEED: viewing the data is excruciating: Scrolling through hundreds of videos instead of seeing the thumbnails of multiples on one screen.  Nowhere is it obvious that you can go to the calendar and select a date you wish to see.
  3. FEED: the DELETE function is laborious.  Why would you remove the function to select all and delete all?  Deleting one at a time is ridiculous.  To delete on my Arlo is even worse.  Delete a single item, and then follow up with another step to confirm delete!
    1. There has been an ongoing issue with deleted files repopulating into the library.  I suspect that this problem could not easily be corrected, therefore you are forcing the user to delete one item at a time.   It is not acceptable.
  4. ROUTINES: Is this a term that intuitively tells the user where to go to ARM & Disarm?  ARMaway and ARMHome?  What is wrong with the original ARM ALL , Disarm ALL, with the ability of disarming an individual camera?  That was intuitive.
  5. DASHBOARD and DEVICES:  Let’s have one device screen where we can ARM all, DISARM all, activate a live feed, change settings for a device.  Not sure what or how you want to display widgets, just name it appropriately.
  6. Widgets:  How many end users know what a WIDGET is or how to write a rule??? Come up with a better term and perhaps provide a list of “common rules” for a user to select from.  Do you really want customers writing rules and then asking support for assistance because it does not work as expected??
  7. USER GUIDE: There are multiple links on ARLO regarding 4.0, if you search for them.  Where is a comprehensive manual to assist the users?  What I have read so far has been minimally helpful.  For instance, when reading about ARM home and ARM away the document says you can still select Arm All or Disarm All!
  8. SETUP of new cameras: Purchased two 2 PRO 5 cameras to add to our PRO 3’s and during the setup it forced us to install the new software.  There was a learn more button, however the GUI would not let us select it. Set up would not proceed unless you selected OK.  What a surprise to then see all these new “enhancements”

I hope these comments are passed on to the appropriate department.  They obviously need better requirements, better end user involvement in user interface design and testing. I am not faulting your developers; I am faulting your processes. This software is not even ready for Beta testing.  If this software has not been fully rolled out, why are we forced to download with the install of a new camera and why can we not fall back to the previous version?

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

We're continuing to collect and monitor the feedback users are posting about the new 4.x experience. I will pass all the details of the topics being posted here to the development team for consideration.

JamesC

65 REPLIES 65
RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's right. Before, it was simple to view many videos rapidly with the swipe of a finger. Now, you can't.

What happens now is that if you happen to have a large amount of vid's recorded, at least on my phone, it's impossible to logically go through them and view them in chronological order. You have to individually choose a video, play it, then you can X the video out, or delete it. Deleting it will cause that one to disappear, then the screen goes back to the library and you watch the video you just X'd out disappear from the menu of videos, and the choices slide up or down the screen to fill the void. It's too easy to forget which direction you're going if you're trying to watch them in chronological order. Let's get back to the way it was, and still should be. Start watching a video, if it's no good, swipe finger to the next one in the order and it starts playing automatically.

We waste a lot of time on this forum chasing our tails, trying to persuade those with some pull to tell someone who can get things fixed that we really do have a problem.... that didn't exist before the last update, and it needs to be fixed.
  It seems that we can't get anything done because we can't describe the problem in the exact technical terms, or at least that's how I feel. I think I should just have to say  "I can't swipe the screen to view the next video in line" and those in positions of authority would see that and say "oh, I know just what he's talking about, let me adjust the coding for that function." 
  Every time you choose "troubleshooting" on the choices over at the side of these columns while making a new post, it should send up a red flag on some computer coder's computer screen and they should snap to attention and read about it.

navyvet09
Initiate
Initiate

Please also pass on to the dev. team that the phone app and the website do not automatically direct you to the dashboard, but rather to the devices.  What is the point of having a customizable dashboard if you don't get directed to it when you sign on. 

arloUser58
Star
Star

The last release of the Arlo mobile app was dated Jan 27th, 2023.  It is now more than a month later, the app is riddled with bugs and features that just don't work, just read the comments about the new user interface and all the things that aren't working.  When will we get an update and fixes for the many issues we are having.  At least tell us what issues are being worked on so there is at least some hope...  We are paying customers.

arloUser58
Star
Star

I just upgraded my 6 Arlo Pro 2's to Arlo pro 5's and new user interface not knowing about this new interface ahead of time.   To say I am having buyers remorse is an understatement.  What are they thinking/doing with this new interface?  I am a software developer and If I released software this buggy, my customers would drop me in a heartbeat.  Where is the quality control?  Does Arlo have beta testers or customers who wish to be beta testers?  Oh, forgot, we are all beta testers.  Not a way to run a company.  Please get it together.  I've been an 8 year user of Arlo cameras and the theme during these 8 years is always the same.  Bugs, slow response, more bugs, and even slower response.  Why did I upgrade instead of moving on?  This may haunt me for quite some time.

snydeje
Star
Star

Agree 100%!  This new interface has so many issues. So many issues I could type a novel.  I am so disappointed that they are letting us Beta test there software.  If they forced everyone to upgrade then I would not consider this a Beta. This software version is one joke after another.  One of the biggest pains to me is I where glasses so I used to swipe through the videos and now I have to look at some baby thumbnail and have to exit the clip to go back to select another. Looking at the baby thumbnail I can barley make it out to see what it is. When you are going through it it will sometimes refresh and bring you right back to the top so you better look at the time stamp first when opening a clip so you know where to go back to. Every issue with this new design haunts me. I am sad that I made such an investment into buying there cameras. This app makes me want to throw all of the cameras in the trash. 

GPSBait
Guide
Guide

Just when I thought I was done finding all the dumb **bleep**, my "automations" are now off by one hour with daylight savings time. 

I am unable to change the timezone, as it says "Bogata Columbia".  I guess they don't have an Eastern time zone for the USA, and Michigan is now part of Columbia...

Since there appears no way to change the time zone, I will need to change the times since it didn't follow DST rules.

Does anyone from Arlo ever read the forums for all the ideas to fix stuff?  I have not seen any app updates either since this mess was forced down everyones throat.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My automations were off by 1 hour until the time change actually occurred. 

That said, the timezone can't be changed, as I recall (getting old), if you manually set the location. I'm sure @StephenB will jump in if I'm getting it wrong. To fix that you have to enter a different address of any sort in a different time zone and then back to the proper one.

snydeje
Star
Star

This place is a waste of our time. They are not reading what there customers need fixed or what suggestions they have to keep there product better. This new app is a joke that is beyond buggy. Upgrading has ruined the way I use there cameras and makes me cringe at the thought of even looking at my cameras. With the swipe being gone it was the worst mistake they could have made. The support center has become overwhelmed I am sure because of pissed off people. I would not recommend there products as of right now. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're continuing to collect and monitor the feedback users are posting about the new 4.x experience. I will pass all the details of the topics being posted here to the development team for consideration.

JamesC

GPSBait
Guide
Guide

Thanks James. It's an experience all right. 

If you want a focus group of people with comments you found the right thread. 

Some us use the cameras for a wide range of purposes - regular security - mobile applications - and things you never thought of. 

While we expect changes, we dont expect forced changes which remove the top 20 features in use. Basic things like moving from video to video. On the iPad, it's not even usable - as you must close the application to get to the next video. 

You will never please everyone with an update, but this is beyond normal comprehension of regression issues. 

Feel free to reach out and let us know when we can expect some basic updates, to get basic functions back working - because most the basics are not even here right now. 

Eric

Niki999
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi how do you update the new interface.  I've updated the app to latest version.  But even after my partner can't access through guest access (like previously) 

We have tried the "add new device" there is no option to add "arlo home security system" 

We have just been going round in circles,  and no success.  

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Niki999 wrote:

We have tried the "add new device" there is no option to add "arlo home security system" 

Is there an option to add a Pro 5s?  That also will migrate the UI to "Feed".

snydeje
Star
Star

I called support and they walked me through it which was the worst thing I could have done as the new UI is completely a beta and riddled with nothing but issues.  As of right now it is not user friendly, full of bugs , and overall cumbersome. If you can avoid it I would highly recommend it. 

snydeje
Star
Star

Please pass on to they need to make at least one update.  The new UI has had not one improvement or bug fix since its launch or the ability to go back so existing users that have spent thousands on your devices do not have to be beta testers while you guys take your time on rolling out updates. 

readyp
Tutor
Tutor

Support put me on the new 4.1 as well. It looks 'clean', but only because 1/2 the functions are not there anymore!

Lots of features missing:

1. no zoom when checking feed

2. no way to skip to next feed

3. no way to remove old phones/iPads, makes it difficult to create automations

4. no utility > camera positioning on iphone/iPad, but it is on PC version!

5. cannot change scale in CVR timeline!

Marlon1
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo's lost the plot, the cameras are no longer useable outside with the removal of the magnet from the camera to the base, the new interface is quite rediculous, totally complex for a tinpot system that has airs about it's greatness, run by know it all developers who I doubt really exist, which is I guess why Arlo has never upgraded anything in response to their customers needs..... if ever I hated anything in this world, Arlo is definitely high on the list.

The whol;e system is now a piece of **bleep** and I wouldn't spend a dime on a new arlo camera and would give it back if it was given to me as a present

snydeje
Star
Star

Amen I agree! They are not listening to their customers complaints. Not paying attention to what we have to offer and or in fact listening not anything is not a good business model. I will not spend one more dime on Arlo. When these cameras die I will

move on to another company. #arlo 

_Jim
Initiate
Initiate

*Before I add to these design issues, let me start by saying I very rarely post to communities of any sort but felt the utter need to setup an account to make these comments.

I have the Arlo Secure app with a total of 10 devices (7 cameras, doorbell & chime, & a base station)

1.  SIREN: I contacted support (opened a case) and came to the conclusion it is no loner possible to manually turn on the siren for indiviual devices. Now you either have to edit the rules of a camera to activate siren when motion is detected, or activate siren in the emergency tab which activates all devices. This is a serious security flaw for my business because our Arlo Go 2 devices (5 of our 7 cameas) are on different jobsites where if we are required to activate a siren due to theft, etc. we can no loner only activate the device where there is an issue. Instead all of our devices will activate (including 2 cameras at our home) and be a great disturbance on our other jobsites. Finally, there should be an option to keep the siren sound effects what it was originally. Some people may like the new sound effect, but it is simply not loud enough or nearly as distracting/disturbing as the old siren (which was great).
  2. MOTION DETECTION: In the previous version of the app I was able to simply turn on/off motion detection on an individual device (and so was my team that I share my devices with) at any given time. Now, not only am I the only person able to change these settings in the routine tab (admins that have shared access cannot make routine changes anymore) but I also cannot turn off motion detection without editing rules ever time (gets old quick & prone to mistakes when recreating a rule which could jeopardize the footage captured). The best option my team and I have come up with is going to an individual cameras Settings > Default Mode Settings > Motion Detection and changing the motion sensitivity to "1" or "low" (admins have the ability to change these settings). We constantly need to turn motion detection on and off because if we have workers onsite, our cameras will send us notifications all day long which is unnecessary in our case.

Overall, there are alot of things that I believe need to be updated or adjusted but these are the most important for me and probably most other people. I hope these additional comments to Fledges original post are helpful and addressed accordingly. Thank you.

Mike_S__
Initiate
Initiate

Had I known that this new version of the app was this horrible, I would not have downloaded it.  Additionally, if this would have been the app offered before I purchased my cameras, I would not have chose Arlo.  To only have the ability to choose from three modes is ridiculous.  I have 10 cameras and 5 different modes with the old app.  Now I cannot personalize the available modes to do exactly what I want.  Very poor design Arlo…

rvd67
Guide
Guide

The new app version is steaming pile of garbage. This is one of the worst "advancement" backwards I have ever seen from an app and it seems that the Arlo hack developers and corporate hacks could care less. Complete loss of functionality and user friendliness from the previous version. NO ONE LIKES THE NEW VERSION. IT APPEARS TO BE UNIVERSALLY DETESTED! You have taken our hard earned money spent on your expensive camera products and made them virtually useless with the forced adoption of unuser friendly, less functional, backwards downgrade of an app.      

Kng0506
Initiate
Initiate

I have the older version of the app. My boyfriend has the newer version. It is not user friendly at all. 
Why would you change this view?Please go back to the older version. It is way easier to use and navigate. There is no guessing on where to go or what to do. It’s a camera not an alarm system so it needs to be treated that way. Please make adjusts back. 

navyvet09
Initiate
Initiate

I'm running version 4.4 now and the latest iOS on iPhone 14 and have had nothing but frustration with the new app.  Running 3 Arlo Pros, a Pro 5 and the doorbell.  I agree with everything everyone else has posted on here.  You cannot swipe between video recordings, I find the "Dashboard" clunky and useless (what's the point of having a dashboard if it doesn't go directly to it when I open the app), I've had issues with trying to get the "routines" situated correctly, geofencing isn't working right half the time, and I've had one of my cameras send alerts and record when I didn't have it set up to record or notify.

I'm 100% with everyone on the need to go back to the old layout!

snydeje
Star
Star

100% These guys are not listening to the customers.  Nothing has changed since the launch of 4.junk.  This app is almost totally unusable.  SO many issues to count with this new app. It is horrible in almost every aspect. 

Apple_B
Guide
Guide

What a cop out!!!  Arlo, are you really sincere in saying that  "we value your feedback" ???   The new app is unbelievable garbage.  Bring back the ability to arm different combinations of camera modes.  Home, Away and Standby are insufficient!!!   Also the new app is not compatible with IFTTT recipes.  If I am forced to upgrade (more like retrograde) to the new arlo secure app then I will be pulling all my cameras down and replacing with a Eufy or similar system!!

KatT11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi DAItom

Thank you for commenting. I am experiencing the same issue.  

When you said below you have to tell the software you want to install a security system - was that on your end or your wife's or both?  I'm guessing yours as you said once it did that you were able to add her as a friend, and she could view your cameras.  Could she then see the same dashboard and devices as you?

This new version is so frustrating.