Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why is my Arlo Q video quality much *worse* than Arlo Wire-free.. ?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

My arlo wire free camera makes recordings in any lighting conditions that show very smooth (apparently 30fps) movement. Albeit with some motion compress (h264?), but regardless the overall quality of the motion/image is superb (it is set to "Optimized Balances video quality and battery life")

.. I just added an Arlo Q and have it set to record in 720p mode- whenever the Arlo Q makes a recording the video in the library appears to play back at a very poor frame rate (around7-10fps). However the Arlo Q recording hase barely any perceptible motion compression.. I like that Arlo Q produces a sharper image (less motion compression), but at the cost of so many frames per second I'm not so sure it's worth it.. Is there anyway to set the Q to use some amount of motion compression so it can achieve a frame rate similar to my Wire-Free ? 

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Something doesn't sound right...

The video from the Q cam should be as good if not better than the Arlo cams and the frame rate is right up there close to 30.

I wonder if the data speed on your system is enough as the Q can peak at 1.5mb ( 800kb on 720 ) on top of other data flowing ( Q hooks into you home wifi )

If you are able, I would do a reset of the Q cam ( hold in re-set button for about 10 secs till the front led flashes amber ) and the re-install as if new.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
cruiserandmax2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the ideas- I re-synced the Arlo Q and it still performed the same. I switched the video from 720p to 480p, and then the quality started to be on par with the Wire-Free.. For some reason lowering the video resolution on the Q allows the resulting videos to display a higher frame rate (smooth motion). Until we are able to upgrade our internet bandwidth I think we will stick with these lower settings..

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes.. The 480 Rez drops the bandwidth down to 300 k or so.

Morse is faster than texting!