Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Dladeda
Follower
Follower

I have set up camera, sync QR code but when scanning can't find camera ? Please help

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
JB41
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue when trying to add a new Arlo Q to an existing network with 3 other Arlo Q Cameras. I tried to reset the camera several times, but it is still undiscoverable by the network.

Any other suggestions?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried using both the 2.4 as well as the 5GHz bands to connect? It may just be a faulty camera but taking it to a friend's house and attempting to set it up there may be useful to help prove that.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Have you tried using both the 2.4 as well as the 5GHz bands to connect? It may just be a faulty camera but taking it to a friend's house and attempting to set it up there may be useful to help prove that.

Make sure you don't have a VPN connected on your phone.

Also try adding it using a PC (my.arlo.com) , as that sometimes works when the app fails.

Dave_Ireland
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here.

Have set up separate wireless AP/Router with 2.4GHz network. 

Have tried adding camera using phone app and using web portal. All fail even with factory reset.

I can see the camera has connected to wireless network by viewing DHCP assignments and I can ping it!

But the step of the app or portal finding the camera always fails. I have two cameras to set up and tried both with same result.

In case it's of any relevance (i.e. firmware version) they were bought in Nov. 2018.

Are there any other suggestions to solve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It appears you may be experiencing hardware failure based on the camera not being discoverable. If a factory reset doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to consider replacing the unit

Dave_Ireland
Tutor
Tutor

Hardware failure is possible but I think unlikely because:

- I tried 2 different devices and both showed same behavior

- although bought in Nov-2018 both devices were unopened until last week when I tried them

- they both connect to wifi and both respond to ping so a lot of functionality is working correctly

Is there really nothing else to try because I've done factory reset multiple times.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dave_Ireland 

These cameras were never successfully installed previously correct? I'm thinking the cameras are not able to onboard because of old firmware that the devices have installed when they left the manufacturer. I'm checking with my team for more info. 

Dave_Ireland
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Shayne,

Yes, that's correct. I installed two others a few years ago but these two have never even been powered-on until last week. They have original factory firmware.

Thanks for digging into this for me.

I'm happy to follow some cumbersome manual firmware update process if that's what's needed.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Dave_Ireland 

I received some feedback from the team and unfortunately because the devices are on an older firmware, onboarding the device will fail. We do not have any ability to place a firmware on the backend without them being online. 

Dave_Ireland
Tutor
Tutor

HI Shayne,

First, thanks for checking this out. 

Based on the answer from your team I have a few more questions:

1) what is the release date (& version) of the oldest firmware that will work with current platform?

2) what is platform release date (& version) which meant my firmware would not work?

3) is there really no internal utility to load firmware over USB?

I am surprised that your platform does not work with a 5-year old product.

If you or your colleagues want to discuss my experience please reach out to me on email. 

Thanks for your help.
Dave.