Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What resolution is CVR?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I currently have my Q set to 1080p resolution, and when it is live or recording clips it is truly 1080p.  However, I have noticed jaggy edges and scaling artifacts when I switch between live and recorded sections of the CVR stream.  Can anyone confirm what reolution CVR is?  I suspect it is 720p.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It appears close to the original to me when both in same size on screen (full screen )....  ??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I agree - I think CVR playback is at whatever resolution it was recorded in.  I suppose it could be an issue with upload speed (not necessarily your local speed but something throughout the World Wide Wait).  I can't say that I ever noticed a difference not obviously caused by something else (pixelation, etc.).  I also don't hink you'd be able to truly see the difference between 720 and 1080 on a small screen without a screen capture and pixel-peeping.

hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have lots of small branches of trees and plants that have fine detail.  The detail is lost if the camera is not actively recording.  Now, though, I think it may just be that the bit rate is lowered so that there are block artifacts present.  I think this is actually correct behavior to save internet bandwidth.

This is all observed when viewing full screen on a 1080p monitor.  I have also captured the stream with an HDMI to USB UVC adapter when I needed clips that had not been recorded.  I use the Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI dongle, and it works very well with Windows' in-box camera app.

Randall123
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issues you are, just noticed that the screen would get "jaggy" when there are major changes in light conditions. This could be a bandwidth issue relating to upload speed, not 100% sure.